Ethanol, corn prices and whining janitors.

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
backhoeboogie":2v91ik6t said:
Wewild":2v91ik6t said:
backhoeboogie":2v91ik6t said:
WIC is some kind of acronym for welfare.

somn is attacking aplus.

Thank you.

I saw it that both fired at each other.

Aplus is the only janitor we know in these threads is he not? Did you note the title of this thread? Who put that title in? Seems to me this whole thread was an attack from the get go.
You know I saw another feller on here do that once some guy who hates big hats, hubcap beltbuckles, and $40,000 pickups it is amazing what one can learn from others.

Wewild":1bvx3m88 said:
backhoeboogie":1bvx3m88 said:
Wewild":1bvx3m88 said:
backhoeboogie":1bvx3m88 said:
WIC is some kind of acronym for welfare.

somn is attacking aplus.

Thank you.

I saw it that both fired at each other.

Aplus is the only janitor we know in these threads is he not? Did you note the title of this thread? Who put that title in? Seems to me this whole thread was an attack from the get go.

I'm good with it. Seems like Somn wanted to air it somewhere other than a 10 page post.

I thought it was one of the best debates I'd seen here until someone called the other a whinner. Do you recall who did it.....
I think that was me I'm trying to find that out for sure right now problem is I was mouthing off on 2 threads at the same time about the same thing.

aplusmnt":19s3juqg said:
I know you like them subsidies but I said you neighbor gets a subsidy to raise say limmi's and you get none! You are not eligible for the subside. So now you can not compete in the market because feedlots all over are going up to get that extra $51.00 a head jump start. But you will not ever get it only your competitor.

How do you like that Subsidy then?

The first 6 words says it all. Maybe I said "whinner". This was the shot that started the war.

Well I have to side with the Commode Cowboy and the Grub Worm on this.

Government mandates ethanol in fuel fact.
Ethanol is more expensive to produce than MTBE fact.
Gas Prices go up fact.
Corn prices go up fact.
Beef prices go down fact.

The 51 cents per gallon goes to the owners of the plant, not the oil companies. A Purdue an sci Prof told me that the average ethonal plant can be totally paid for in about two years just on the subsidy. Hence the number of plants going in. The subsidy is phased out by 2010 and then it will get interesting.

Just like most gov deals, a few are getting rich at the expense of taxpayers and the cattlemen are paying the price of the unexpected consequence. The problem could be solved by giving the Caribou a pipeline to scratch their backs on. But they gotta totally disrupt the feeder cattle market. Kinda like in the 80s when they bought out all those dairy cows and didn't care about the effect on the unsubsidised beef market.

On a more positive note: I have sold calves for 54 cents before. :) I will still take 92 and not complain tooooo much. :)

somn":1y202fy6 said:
backhoeboogie":1y202fy6 said:
somn":1y202fy6 said:
It has come to my attention that because of the $.51 per gallon blenders tax credit given to oil companies I am being cheated and I feel the need to whine. If my calculations are correct 1 bushel of corn produces 2.87 gallons of ethanol so lets do the math 2.87 x $.51 = $1.46. So know it seems someone other than me can pay $1.46 per bushel more for corn than I can because of a tax credit. If I could pay $1.46 less per bushel on the 164 bushel I feed to each steer I would make $239.44 more per head. Darn it all anyway maybe if I sit on this board all day and whine about it long enough someone will feel sorry for the whining Janitor and myself.

Don't know why you need to whine somn, seems to me the janitor is paying your way. He pays taxes and you leach off of the government. You are getting a pretty darn good deal.
Your probably right you and the janitor do a good job of it by yourselves. You both always seem to take the same road. The poor little dirt digger and toilet cleaner who both know less than they think.

Seems like just a few months ago every time I turned around you were quoting this whining Janitor. Never been quoted so much in my whole life. You were like a little Kids repeating what his daddy told him. But now you are the rebellious little Brat that thinks he is smarter than his dad now. :roll:

I guess if anything good has came out of this you have learned how to spell the word Janitor from it all, which is more than most people in the welfare lines can do. ;-)

I think somn is a good kid. He knows alot and will be a credit to our industry.

I side with you on the debate aplusmnt.

You shot first.

I would have expected more from you.

But that just me. I may be wrong.

I thought it was a great debate untill ...... see above.

you boys remember that somn and samm are not the same, just a quick glance it might confuse ya, with the similar lettering, not stepping on any toes or nothing, just making sure mine are covered up.

samm

samm":3mtnox7a said:
you boys remember that somn and samm are not the same, just a quick glance it might confuse ya, with the similar lettering, not stepping on any toes or nothing, just making sure mine are covered up.

samm

I don't know you.... I like somn.

Wewild":14ofhlcz said:

You shot first.

I guess I was a sleep when I shot first, because from I remember from the other thread where this all started, we were debating the ethanol issue and its relation to corn prices. Somn's first post called us all whiners, then as the debate continued he turned it to me being a whiner specifically. A common technique of most Liberals, when they get on the loosing end of an argument they start calling people personal names.

Then after I went 24 hours with out posting on it he started this thread putting Janitor in the subject line as a personal shot at me. So If I shot first I sure forget when it was I fired.

But none of it really matters, in the end it all boils down to the fact Somn gets Corn subsidies and he likes his welfare. And me I pay taxes and feel all us Americans are taxed to heavily, and I spoke out about that.

Real simple Somn wants free money.
I want to pay less taxes.

That is the debate at hand!

aplusmnt":ebxt67bt said:
Wewild":ebxt67bt said:

You shot first.

I guess I was a sleep when I shot first, because from I remember from the other thread where this all started, we were debating the ethanol issue and its relation to corn prices. Somn's first post called us all whiners, then as the debate continued he turned it to me being a whiner specifically. A common technique of most Liberals, when they get on the loosing end of an argument they start calling people personal names.

Then after I went 24 hours with out posting on it he started this thread putting Janitor in the subject line as a personal shot at me. So If I shot first I sure forget when it was I fired.

But none of it really matters, in the end it all boils down to the fact Somn gets Corn subsidies and he likes his welfare. And me I pay taxes and feel all us Americans are taxed to heavily, and I spoke out about that.

If you feed corn that is cheap you take advantage of the subsidies as much as the grower does :shock: There is no money going to the grower now because the price is up so you should be very happy to pay the price since you and the grower are on level ground when it comes to feed costs. Please do every thing you can to keep corn prices up and you will not have to worry about it any more. Please remember not to complain about high feed and cheap cattle because you have helped your tax dollars!

KMacGinley":17yypfdv said:
The 51 cents per gallon goes to the owners of the plant, not the oil companies. A Purdue an sci Prof told me that the average ethonal plant can be totally paid for in about two years just on the subsidy. Hence the number of plants going in. The subsidy is phased out by 2010 and then it will get interesting.

Just like most gov deals, a few are getting rich at the expense of taxpayers and the cattlemen are paying the price of the unexpected consequence. The problem could be solved by giving the Caribou a pipeline to scratch their backs on. But they gotta totally disrupt the feeder cattle market. Kinda like in the 80s when they bought out all those dairy cows and didn't care about the effect on the unsubsidised beef market.

On a more positive note: I have sold calves for 54 cents before. :) I will still take 92 and not complain tooooo much. :)
Don't just tell us who gets the subsidy show us.

aplusmnt":1i7ykudh said:
Wewild":1i7ykudh said:

You shot first.

Every post shows a time that it was posted at I started this thread 3 minutes after your last post on the other thread infact as slow as I type I most likely started typing this long before you stopped posting on the other one. Not 24 hours later. Just more whining. You might want to pay less taxes doesn't everyone the different is some people are not smart enough to take advantage of the benefits the federal government gives to everyone in this country and some are not they would rather whine about it. As far as specifically targeting you as the whiner yes I did as you appear to big the biggest one by far.

mwj":38vnqj28 said:
aplusmnt":38vnqj28 said:
Wewild":38vnqj28 said:

You shot first.

If you feed corn that is cheap you take advantage of the subsidies as much as the grower does :shock: There is no money going to the grower now because the price is up so you should be very happy to pay the price since you and the grower are on level ground when it comes to feed costs. Please do every thing you can to keep corn prices up and you will not have to worry about it any more. Please remember not to complain about high feed and cheap cattle because you have helped your tax dollars!

Personally I do not care who benefits from the subsidies I am against corn subsidy for cheap corn for cattle and ethanol. But I am especially against ethanol plants getting corn based around subsidy pricing and then getting money per gallon from the Government to use it. They can benefit from it both ways. But even if this is not so I am against both.

If Corn gets to high in free market then we can feed hay. It is a Liberal ploy to make us feel we will not survive with out the Government propping us up. Just let Free Market do its job and all will be well.

somn":2w6yvz77 said:
aplusmnt":2w6yvz77 said:
Wewild":2w6yvz77 said:

You shot first.

Every post shows a time that it was posted at I started this thread 3 minutes after your last post on the other thread infact as slow as I type I most likely started typing this long before you stopped posting on the other one. Not 24 hours later. Just more whining. You might want to pay less taxes doesn't everyone the different is some people are not smart enough to take advantage of the benefits the federal government gives to everyone in this country and some are not they would rather whine about it. As far as specifically targeting you as the whiner yes I did as you appear to big the biggest one by far.

Sorry I do not take the time or the care to cross reference different threads time line. Point still stands, you took the first shots not me. But I could care less about that. The facts stand for themselves. You want free money I want cheaper taxes. Nothing really more to discuss. You like welfare I hate working to pay taxes for your welfare check. If that makes me a whiner then I will wear that title with a badge of honor! ;-)

aplusmnt":3kxwfiov said:
Personally I do not care who benefits from the subsidies I am against corn subsidy for cheap corn for cattle and ethanol. But I am especially against ethanol plants getting corn based around subsidy pricing and then getting money per gallon from the Government to use it. They can benefit from it both ways. But even if this is not so I am against both.

If Corn gets to high in free market then we can feed hay. It is a Liberal ploy to make us feel we will not survive with out the Government propping us up. Just let Free Market do its job and all will be well.
Aplusmnt you might want to stick to being a janitor. Ask those ranchers down in the drought ares of Texas how well feeding high priced hay works. Then ask them how they will like it when the little bit of hay they could buy and have trucked in is no longer available because all the midwest feedlots are buying it to feed instead of high priced corn. It seems you have the Free Market cure all for everything in the cattle industry but the problem is this. It is the same cure for everything and it will not work on anything. This high priced corn will hurt cow calf men in drought areas worse than it will anyone else he lost money buying hay to feed the cows and now he will lose money selling his calves cheaper than he had hoped for when he decided to feed the hay instead of culling the cows. If your not smart enough to see the direct correlation between high price feed for feedlots and the low calf prices you obviously know nothing about the cattle industry and your input or lack there of on this site would be better suited for a political whiners web site.

Your better suited for a janitor position because your comprehension of the cattle industry is horrible all your concerned with is yourself the poor cheated janitor. Just what kind of cattle do you raise anyway? Considering your always so busy being a janitor so you can pay all those taxes that you constantly whine about I'm guessing you have never experienced the day to day stuggles that sometime come with being actively involved with the cattle industry.

That is why you whine because none of the subsidies benefit you. You have never been the cow calf man trying to sell a large number of calves for a profit, you have never been a backgrounder trying to sell a large number of calves for a profit to the feedlot, and you have never been the feedlot man trying to sell your fats to the kill plant. You just show up then bid on a job and clean toilets never being concerned with the so called free market that you constantly preach about. It is real easy for someone to sit in judgement about something when they have never had anything to lose. And because you are so deep rooted in your business to buy anymore cattle than you have time for you will never have a true understanding of the cattle industry nor the conviction it requires to be any kind of a asset to the cattle industry at best you are the worst form of a debt to the cattle industry. Your a whiner.

Aplus, I enjoy your posts. This is one of the worst drought affect areas of Texas. Culling heavy and producing very high quality hay is a diversified measure that worked well. Drastic times require drastic measures.

"Drought assitance" was offered but I didn't even sign up. Every auction I attended last year had someone there explaining it all. Meridian Livestock Commission did an excellent job explaining it at the start of each auction. Mostly I felt sorry for hard working farmers who were completely burned out by the brush fires. Anyway, I didn't need assistance so I didn't sign up.

There are several people who acquired hay from me who were thankful to get it. I made a few nickels but could have made many more if I were the type to take advantage of others. In fact, I sort of feel a bit guilty for buying back in when cows were so cheap. But if I hadn't bought them, someone else would have.

There is an old saying, when times are tough, the tough get going. Please continue to offer dialog in this forum, as I enjoy your posts. Any of us can learn anything from anyone. I read all your posts. Sometimes I don't agree, but heck, I have been married to a very good lady for 26 years and I don't always agree with her either.

I would work as a janitor before I would go on unemployment, or choose other professions, and I would keep scratching and digging to get a head in life. Each of us choose our own paths.

You spend a whole lot of time with those kids and you are teaching them an awful lot about life with your ag ventures. It sure beats heading out to the golf course and dropping the kids off for Hillary's villiage to raise.

Drive around a bit in this part of the cornbelt and you will notice something... Ground that was harvested for hay in the 2006 growing season has been plowed up to get ready for corn planting. 3.00 corn or 4.00 corn will equal a lot less acres of hay being harvested in the next year so expensive corn will drive all feeds along with it as people scramble for substitutes.

I was looking at prices recently and remember getting my 1.00 a pound for 500 weigh heifers back in November or October (Can't remember exactly when I shipped them) and thinking at the time it was 20 or 30 bucks a 100 weight less than last year and basically saying it was 100-150 buck loss. .. Than I thought to just a few years ago when we a buck for those weight animals would have been considered not to bad... I would love 1.30 calves again butI don't see it until corn creeps down or fats creep up...

somn":1xynlnw7 said:
[
It seems you have the Free Market cure all for everything in the cattle industry but the problem is this. It is the same cure for everything and it will not work on anything.
Your better suited for a janitor position because your comprehension of the cattle industry is horrible all your concerned with is yourself the poor cheated janitor. Just what kind of cattle do you raise anyway? Considering your always so busy being a janitor so you can pay all those taxes that you constantly whine about I'm guessing you have never experienced the day to day stuggles that sometime come with being actively involved with the cattle industry.

That is why you whine because none of the subsidies benefit you. You have never been the cow calf man trying to sell a large number of calves for a profit, you have never been a backgrounder trying to sell a large number of calves for a profit to the feedlot, and you have never been the feedlot man trying to sell your fats to the kill plant. You just show up then bid on a job and clean toilets never being concerned with the so called free market that you constantly preach about.

It is real easy for someone to sit in judgement about something when they have never had anything to lose. And because you are so deep rooted in your business to buy anymore cattle than you have time for you will never have a true understanding of the cattle industry nor the conviction it requires to be any kind of a asset to the cattle industry at best you are the worst form of a debt to the cattle industry. Your a whiner.

First off If I wanted Welfare money it is out there to be had, Cattleman are not the only ones that have Government money at there disposal. All Kinds of free money for small businesses. Heck all I have to do is make the wife the President of A-Plus and I can get even more free money and special unfair bid opportunities for a woman owned business.

As far as corn subsidies go under the current system I benefit just as much as anyone, I get cheaper beef and groceries at the Grocery store. I am just honest enough to know it is not right for the Government to make decisions on rather a business fails or succeeds. Right now buy propping up the Ethanol plants they are picking the Oil companies over and above the Cattleman.

As far as taking risk I know how to take 100% risk, I quit college started a Janitorial business. Borrowed $50,000.00 with not guaranteed contracts at 21 years old. No rich family, no safety net. Got married a year later, bought a home. And got not welfare check to pay the way. I could have applied for Government grants and HUD housing but I chose the old fashion way, by myself. Since I was 22 I have hand no net less than $100,000 a year. Employed no less than 5 employees with most years being around 10.

I constantly fight everyone and there brothers thinking they can become Janitors for easy cash. I fight illegal immigration instead of using it.

Every day is a fight when you have a profession that is on the bottom of the totem pole of professions.

I know that it would be hard for Farmers to make the turn around from subsidies, the government has it so messed up and has you so in need of them. I do not even blame a farmer for getting them, the system is so screwed it might be hard to stay in business with out them.

But what i do whine about is people like you that think it is the way it should be. That it is a good thing. You are so rooted in hand outs you do not have what it takes to actually take a risk and do something with out the Government being there as your safety net. You are like them poor welfare people that think they can not survive with out the food stamps and welfare check.

And that is they way the Government likes it, the more they have people like you thinking the only way is with their help and checks you will never Cowboy up and be your own man. You are just like a kid still working for his daddy, only difference is Uncle Sam is your daddy.

Grow up and do something on your own, then you will be experienced enough in life to know what you are speaking of. Until then I only respect and take advice from business men that do things on there own, not with daddy's help or their Uncles Help (Uncle Sam that is)!

Ps. Do you still work for your Daddy? I got a feeling you might not take no risk personally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts