Enough mineral out??

Help Support CattleToday:

EIEIO

Reaction score
8-9 months out of the year I keep out the trace (red) mineral blocks along with white salt blocks. I also keep out what is called around here either Kandy or Sweet Mag mineral free choice. The free choice mineral contains calcium 7%, phosphorus 1.5%, salt 14%, magnesium 13.5%, coper 60ppm, selenium 7ppm, zinc 700ppm, iodine 75ppm, vitamin A 80K IU units/lb, vitamin D3 20K IU units/lb.

The remaining 3-4 months (winter) I just keep out the salt and trace mineral blocks which the cattle don't exactly gobble up leading me to believe they don't need extra during that time even though logic would say that it would be a time they would really need it while eating hay.

Guess my question is should I have the free choice out 12 months out of the year? Is the Kandy/Sweet Mag mineral enough? Cattle have always did fine going this route but I'm open for suggestions. I usually go with if it ain't broke don't fix it but have recently been questioned on my practice.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

J

The trace mineral blocks aren't much more than dyed salt blocks, and any mineral with magnesium at very high levels is not going to be very appealing to the cows. I put a good mineral out all year round. Consumption varies, but doesn't ever drop to nothing.

jkwilson, I'm making an assumption here and that is because the Kandy/Sweet Mag I put out has such a name it must have something in it that tastes good to the cattle. I've never had a problem with them not wanting it.

I keep it out long as there is green grass around just to stay away from any grass teatny problems.

Thanks for your reply,

J

We put out a 12/12 pasture blend mineral, some days it gets licked up really fast and other times they won't touch the stuff for days...we let the cows figure out what they want when they need it. Dmc

Latest posts