Feeding out a couple steers

Help Support CattleToday:

We direct market about 18-20 per year and we feed 1.5-2% of their bodyweight until they reach about 800# and then start increasing feed until they are eating about 20# feed/hd/d. Then we start introducing our "finishing feed" that is 1800# WSC and 200# of local mill's "Tender Beef" product and free choice hay and pasture (while it lasts). They go on a self feeder once they area eating 20# of the WSC mix. So far, we've never had an issue with acidosis and they do VERY WELL on the mix. We've finished some moderate framed steers in 14 mos. and larger framed steers and heifers in 16 mos. Some of the heifers are older than that due to the fact that we roll over any replacements into feeding program that do not get bred in first 30d of breeding season. Most heifers are in the 1150-1200# range and steers in the 1250-1450 range. Meat is fantastic.

VaCowman said:
We direct market about 18-20 per year and we feed 1.5-2% of their bodyweight until they reach about 800# and then start increasing feed until they are eating about 20# feed/hd/d. Then we start introducing our "finishing feed" that is 1800# WSC and 200# of local mill's "Tender Beef" product and free choice hay and pasture (while it lasts). They go on a self feeder once they area eating 20# of the WSC mix. So far, we've never had an issue with acidosis and they do VERY WELL on the mix. We've finished some moderate framed steers in 14 mos. and larger framed steers and heifers in 16 mos. Some of the heifers are older than that due to the fact that we roll over any replacements into feeding program that do not get bred in first 30d of breeding season. Most heifers are in the 1150-1200# range and steers in the 1250-1450 range. Meat is fantastic.

What is WSC?

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I take a weaned fall calf and start feeding in May. 60 days about 10#/hd/day, next 60 days about 15#/hd/day, last 60 days about 25#/hd/day of whole shell corn with a little Sunshine protein pellets. High protein grass thru summer, then 16% baleage. That's 3000# (1.5 ton) of $175/ton corn. Less than $300 total under 14 months old, 750# carcass.

Jeanne, do you find a difference between using whole corn vs cracked or ground? I seems to me that ground corn would be more easily digestible.

WSC is whole shell corn.
sst - most people don't want to hear this - but - WSC is excellent to feed. Cracking, rolling, flaking, grinding - all costs money. WSC is within 8% as efficient as any of the other processed corn. So, if you can buy WSC 8% cheaper - it is best price.
Yes, you will see lots of WSC in their manure. But, if you were able to process that manure and separate out the corn from cracked/flaked/ground corn - there is the SAME amount of corn - you just can't see it. The cattle utilize the corn. WSC is actually "healthier", especially for calves if the processed corn is fine or dusty. I feed WSC to my show string, my weaned replacement heifers and steers that I finish out for freezer beef.
VAcowman - that is pretty similar to just about what I do - I just broke it down into "about" pounds to reach a cost.

WSC is whole shell corn.
sst - most people don't want to hear this - but - WSC is excellent to feed. Cracking, rolling, flaking, grinding - all costs money. WSC is within 8% as efficient as any of the other processed corn. So, if you can buy WSC 8% cheaper - it is best price.
Yes, you will see lots of WSC in their manure. But, if you were able to process that manure and separate out the corn from cracked/flaked/ground corn - there is the SAME amount of corn - you just can't see it. The cattle utilize the corn. WSC is actually "healthier", especially for calves if the processed corn is fine or dusty. I feed WSC to my show string, my weaned replacement heifers and steers that I finish out for freezer beef.
VAcowman - that is pretty similar to just about what I do - I just broke it down into "about" pounds to reach a cost.

Thank you and that answered my question!

sstterry said:
VaCowman said:

What is WSC?

Whole shelled corn

sstterry said:
WSC is whole shell corn.

FWIW, the nutritionist I spoke with about this product/ration I use suggested that WSC was safer (in regards to acidosis) than cracked corn.

VaCowman said:
sstterry said:
WSC is whole shell corn.

FWIW, the nutritionist I spoke with about this product/ration I use suggested that WSC was safer (in regards to acidosis) than cracked corn.

And cracked corn is less likely to cause acidosis than fine ground corn, however, if you have the ration balanced well you can avoid this potential problem and using fine ground corn will give you better production. In the grand scheme of things you'll never notice the difference unless you're weighing every little thing in the feed program going in and coming out.

shaz said:
Is there any reason to ever take them off grass? Seems like grazing and 10-15lbs of feed per day would work well and be cost effective in the later development stages.
10 to 15 bs of feed is not enough. Full feed means 2.5 to 3% of body weight. At 2.5% of body weight a 750 calf would eat 18.75 lbs per day, at 1000 lbs they eat 25 lbs/day and at1200 lbs they eat 30 lbs/day. All this in addition to hay.

BC said:
shaz said:
Is there any reason to ever take them off grass?
Seems like grazing and 10-15 lbs of feed per day would work well and be cost effective in the
later development stages.
Full feed means 2.5 to 3% of body weight.
At 2.5% of body weight a 750 calf would eat 18.75 lbs per day...
All this in addition to hay.
ahhh no... eating 2.5% of body weight includes whatever hay they eat, not in addition to.
2.5% - 3% = 18.75 - 22.5 lbs at 750 lbs.
18.75 lbs + 1.25 lbs of hay = 20 lbs or 2.67% at 750 lbs

12 lbs of feed AND grazing 10 lbs (dm) per day = 22 lbs or 2.93% of body weight at 750 lbs.

Porkchopfat said:
I am working on a steer feed out myself right now. If I have interpreted Texas Bred's post correctly I should be successfull. I am feeding loanstar 1025. It is less than 10% Crude fiber, it is the first thing I look at on the feed tag. It should indicate by the by that you are getting a good high grain supplement. I feed 1 lbs of 1025 and 1 lbs of corn twice a day to start. After 10 days I add another 1 lbs of corn. Keep adding corn and possibly 1025 till he is on full feed. Make sure to have plenty of long fiber hay available to control/slow digestion and keep the rumen nice and healthy. But I could be off so ... how close is that TB.
Ok explain where the porkchopfat came from? It's not a beer gut but porkchopfat? 🤣

Son of Butch said:
BC said:
shaz said:
Is there any reason to ever take them off grass?
Seems like grazing and 10-15 lbs of feed per day would work well and be cost effective in the
later development stages.
Full feed means 2.5 to 3% of body weight.
At 2.5% of body weight a 750 calf would eat 18.75 lbs per day...
All this in addition to hay.
ahhh no... eating 2.5% of body weight includes whatever hay they eat, not in addition to.
2.5% - 3% = 18.75 - 22.5 lbs at 750 lbs.
18.75 lbs + 1.25 lbs of hay = 20 lbs or 2.67% at 750 lbs

12 lbs of feed AND grazing 10 lbs (dm) per day = 22 lbs or 2.93% of body weight at 750 lbs.
Correct, 10-15lbs per day AND grazing. Never meant to imply this was full feed.

Chevy said:
Porkchopfat said:
I am working on a steer feed out myself right now. If I have interpreted Texas Bred's post correctly I should be successfull. I am feeding loanstar 1025. It is less than 10% Crude fiber, it is the first thing I look at on the feed tag. It should indicate by the by that you are getting a good high grain supplement. I feed 1 lbs of 1025 and 1 lbs of corn twice a day to start. After 10 days I add another 1 lbs of corn. Keep adding corn and possibly 1025 till he is on full feed. Make sure to have plenty of long fiber hay available to control/slow digestion and keep the rumen nice and healthy. But I could be off so ... how close is that TB.
Ok explain where the porkchopfat came from? It's not a beer gut but porkchopfat? 🤣

Well long story made short. I grew up in Iowa and at the fair they had these very greasy, thick porkchop sandwiches. Oh they were the best eats around. I grew up moved away and sorely missed those chops. Came up with the name from that. I haven't had a great pork chop in years.

Porkchopfat said:
Well long story made short. I grew up in Iowa and at the fair they had these very greasy, thick porkchop sandwiches. Oh they were the best eats around. I grew up moved away and sorely missed those chops. Came up with the name from that. I haven't had a great pork chop in years.

I have no idea how old you are, but hogs are a lot leaner these days than they used to be. They used to have sandwiches like that at the Louisville Farm Show.

sstterry said:
Porkchopfat said:

I have no idea how old you are, but hogs are a lot leaner these days than they used to be. They used to have sandwiches like that at the Louisville Farm Show.
I will be 50 next month so yep hogs have changed a bunch over the years. My daughter raises one every year for the FFA show. It is very interesting helping her with feed and all that goes into a hog now.

Porkchopfat said:
sstterry said:
Porkchopfat said:

I will be 50 next month so yep hogs have changed a bunch over the years. My daughter raises one every year for the FFA show. It is very interesting helping her with feed and all that goes into a hog now.

They hardly look like the same animal from the neck back.

Bcompton53 said:
Porkchopfat said:
sstterry said:

They hardly look like the same animal from the neck back.
You are right on there. I remember the old man would put his thumb on the flat part of his pocketknife. Then slide the blade into the hog untill he squealed, mark the spot and pull the blade out. He was looking for more than an inch of fat on the back of them hogs. That's how we liked to eat them back then. Now they are a big old mass of muscle. Make good eating too. But the lard back then was so much better. My dad's mom ate sliced bread with a smear of lard and a sprinkle of sugar. I was not trying that though.

Latest posts