Feeding out a couple steers

Help Support CattleToday:

Chevy said:
So am I the youngest (adult) farmer here? I'm only 21 šŸ˜

Yea I'm far from 21! :lol: :lol: :lol2: Forever 21 in my head. Haha Sure don't feel like it.

Well as a follow up to the steer feeding. Here is what it produced. For an S Summit steer, I think he turned out looking alright. He's like a barrel with feet. I don't have a picture from the back, but he's wide (a little bit of the angus hatchet, but oh well). We will have to see how he looks with the hide removed. He goes to the locker today. Thanks for all of the above advice. I'm guessing he weighs about 1320 live weight

MurraysMutts said:
Thanks for the update.
Always like to hear the outcome.
How old is he?
Looks like he'll make good supper

He is 18-19 months now.

We will see on the cost to butcher. The locker told me they average about $1/lb total cost (all fees). Which seems high, but it was the only place we could get in to.

Be sure to post some updated pics of the steaks! Looks like he'll eat well! Thanks for the update

sstterry said:
What is the average cost to butcher one (I realize it may vary by location)? I will be taking one soon, but have never paid to have it done.
It's been over 5 years since I had one done, but it was about $450 total. $.55/lb hanging weight, plus kill fee, disposal fee, ect...
I have one close to ready now. I'm a glutton for punishment I guess, but I'm doing it myself.

M.Magis said:
sstterry said:
What is the average cost to butcher one (I realize it may vary by location)? I will be taking one soon, but have never paid to have it done.
It's been over 5 years since I had one done, but it was about $450 total. $.55/lb hanging weight, plus kill fee, disposal fee, ect...
I have one close to ready now. I'm a glutton for punishment I guess, but I'm doing it myself.

You are going to age it and butcher it yourself?

So he is hanging at 809pounds. I'm happy. First steer I've fed out as the decision maker. I'll add ribeye pics when the time comes.

sstterry said:

Yeah. Have no idea why I want to do it. I know I'll regret it at some point, but for now I'm looking forward to getting started. If for no other reason, he's become a PITA and I want him gone.

M.Magis said:
sstterry said:

Yeah. Have no idea why I want to do it. I know I'll regret it at some point, but for now I'm looking forward to getting started. If for no other reason, he's become a PITA and I want him gone.

You may want to take a look at this then.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sJGNHiQwCo[/media]

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wazg6u3ESco[/media]

sstterry said:
You may want to take a look at this then.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sJGNHiQwCo[/media]

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wazg6u3ESco[/media]
Thanks. I've actually been watching those exact videos quite a bit lately. My biggest concern now is if my bandsaw has enough depth for porterhouses. I'll make due somehow. Gonna get the garaged cleaned up this weekend, hopefully he's hanging next weekend. Not only is he eating 30+ lbs of feed a day, a calf I have in with him is gimping around and I'm sure he's the reason.

Great video. I butchered a hog as part of a college class; there's something satisfying about cutting your own meat. Everyone should try it.

Mine is finally hanging in the garage. Of course nothing goes as easily as I imagine it, but it's done. I wasn't quite as prepared as I thought I was, as far as dealing with a carcass that big. If I decide to do this again, I've already learned a few things. I'm not sure if the hard part is over or still to come.

Depends on the weather. I was hoping to leave it two weeks, but that may not happen. Looks like early next week the high temps will climb to around 50, lows in mid 30s. That's okay for a day or two, but as of now, it looks like it'll stay that way.

Latest posts