Couple cow circles

Help Support CattleToday:

My tractor decided to gel up today to. Tan real rough, no power. Luckily I guess I treat fuel year round with howes. Grabbed a bottle of 911 and hour of idling had it running good again. Haven't tried starting diesel truck, my Tacoma does what's needed most days, tractor does hay etc. my operation is small though so not a lot of need for big equipment

My tractor decided to gel up today to. Tan real rough, no power. Luckily I guess I treat fuel year round with howes. Grabbed a bottle of 911 and hour of idling had it running good again. Haven't tried starting diesel truck, my Tacoma does what's needed most days, tractor does hay etc. my operation is small though so not a lot of need for big equipment
Winter fuel, heated shops, and block heaters for trucks. We went years without the shop. A tiger torch was our friend then. Haven't used one in several years. Chores take long enough with no mistakes.

I think the big thing that is different is the consistency. Cold that stays cold is easier to deal with than the big swings. My experience has been cattle do better in the cold than people give credit, especially dry or frozen cold. Those 35 and raining days are the ones that are hard on them or weeks like this where it has gone from 50 to 5 in 24 hrs. Will be in the 60's in less than 7 days. Nothing does well in that. Ground that is frozen is better than mud.

Here the roads are often closed or restricted in the winter. It will be chains or snow tires required. A fair size ticket if you were to get caught (wreck) without them. I have "Open Range" snow tires on both pickups. There is an emblem on the side wall of the tire that designates it as a tire that meets the requirements for a snow tire. I tried to take a picture of it but it just doesn't work. I have been driving on snow nearly everyday for a month to get to the freeway.

PC233070.JPG

Here the roads are often closed or restricted in the winter. It will be chains or snow tires required. A fair size ticket if you were to get caught (wreck) without them. I have "Open Range" snow tires on both pickups. There is an emblem on the side wall of the tire that designates it as a tire that meets the requirements for a snow tire. I tried to take a picture of it but it just doesn't work. I have been driving on snow nearly everyday for a month to get to the freeway.

View attachment 24138
Dave do you drive on the snow tires all year round or change over to another set of wheels?

Ken

Winter fuel, heated shops, and block heaters for trucks. We went years without the shop. A tiger torch was our friend then. Haven't used one in several years. Chores take long enough with no mistakes.
With low sunlight hours and azimuth, you must have to run your generator a bit during winter Dave? Do you run it just enough to charge the batteries or leave it going to run the place during peak times?

Ken

With low sunlight hours and azimuth, you must have to run your generator a bit during winter Dave? Do you run it just enough to charge the batteries or leave it going to run the place during peak times?

Ken

It ran all night with truck plugged in while cold.
Battery system cannot support heating setup and block heaters for 8 hours. That and knowing plant is running and things will start in am makes for better sleep.

Dave do you drive on the snow tires all year round or change over to another set of wheels?

Ken
They stay on the pickups year round. The car has studded snow tires. They are only allowed November through March. So I have a whole other set of tires and wheels for the car.

Latest posts