? about feeding out 2 year old heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
We have a 2 year old heifer that lost a calf about a month ago. She isn't real big so I figure she won't bring much through the ring. Somebody suggested that we have it done into hamburger. How long should I keep her up and feed her? We feed our steers for around 60-90 days but not sure if she needs to be that good of condition or not for hamburger?

I've been told that if you take a thin hfr that's lost a calf or weaned a calf, and push her hard. She will taste better than a fed str.
I agree with BC. Work her up to 2% of her body wt in corn a day for 90 days. If you don't think she's filled out enough, feed her for an extra month. That should make her smooth enough to cut, not just grind.

We're eating a three year old brangus cow that did not breed back. Weighed about 1400 lbs when slaughtered and is awesome eating.

TexasBred said:
We're eating a three year old brangus cow that did not breed back. Weighed about 1400 lbs when slaughtered and is awesome eating.
TB, how or what did you feed her during the last 90 days?

Thanks.

Last year we had a cow have a calf and take off running away from it.Tried getting them up together but she never would mother it.

We fed her for 3 1/2 weeks and took her to the butcher.

kentuckyguy said:
Last year we had a cow have a calf and take off running away from it.Tried getting them up together but she never would mother it.

How old was she when you butchered her, and how was the meat?

kentuckyguy said:

We had a heifer do that this year and she is a a candidate for that too.

ccr said:
TexasBred said:
TB, how or what did you feed her during the last 90 days?

Thanks.

ccr she was already pretty fleshy from being unproductive. Best I remember we put her on almost free choice feed for about 45 days.

ccr said:
kentuckyguy said:

How old was she when you butchered her, and how was the meat?
This was her second calf so she was around 3 years old meat was good. She was pretty fleshy cow. I think a month of feeding gives her plenty of time to heal up and get rid of any problems caused by the stress of birthing.
Also I can't stand to look at a cow every day that won't take care of a calf. So I get antsy to get rid of them.

The one that we originally planned to have processed seems to be flighty and we don't want to risk having a dark cutter. We had this one to not claim a calf about a week ago and she is calm. Around two years old.

Latest posts