enough hay for winter?

Help Support CattleToday:

hersh

Reaction score
ok, with all the waste that goes into feeding, experience needs to be added in. I want to make sure I will not be short. I have 5 freshly breed heifers all around 1100-1300 lb. My hay reserve right now is 320 60lb squares and 23 5x5 rounds(about1500lb). All hay is high quality meaning it is pure alfalfa, and pure timothy/red clover..no field grass and kept in barn. how many months should that get me. I will feed 3/4 of a 5gal bucket a day of sweet feed or corn gluten also.

If your hay is of good quality, why are you feeding sweet feed or corn gluten? Sounds like overkill to me not to mention, you don't want to get your heifers too fat or their milk production will be affected.

hersh":3ts4wx81 said:
ok, with all the waste that goes into feeding, experience needs to be added in. I want to make sure I will not be short. I have 5 freshly breed heifers all around 1100-1300 lb. My hay reserve right now is 320 60lb squares and 23 5x5 rounds(about1500lb). All hay is high quality meaning it is pure alfalfa, and pure timothy/red clover..no field grass and kept in barn. how many months should that get me. I will feed 3/4 of a 5gal bucket a day of sweet feed or corn gluten also.
ok heres my figures based on the # of heifers an hay you say you have.i figure each round bale should last you 10 days.so thats 230 days.but my figures maybe way off.the sq bales should last you 120 days.as for bucket feeding id say a 5 gal bucket every 3 days.

Hersh,

Sounds to me like you have more then enough hay if you have some halfway decent pasture.
Of course then there is the weather which will play a large part in how much you will have to feed.
I would hold back on the hay until they clean the pastures, then put them on free choice hay until about half your hay was gone, then start cutting back on the hay until spring.

I wouldn't clip any pastures from here on.
Just let it grow and fall over. They will eat it if they get hungry.
SL

Dr. Rankins, animal nutritionist at Auburn, recommends "2.5 1000 lb rolls per cow" for winter feeding. That is ~2500 pounds. pg 41 'Alabama Cattleman Magazine', Sept 2007. Obviously our friends to the north probably need more on hand than we need in Alabama.

Saw a wooly caterpillar today. Based on his coloration this winter is going to be harsh. Might want to get a little extra if you have any faith in the signs.

pbnewbie":1r6il67u said:
My hay guy said 1 1/2 big round bales per cow per winter.

Wow! I got me 5 cows with calves newborn, a 2yr old bull and a steer I be rasin for the freezer and I be expectin them ta eat at least 1.3 big rounds (aprox 1000 lb) per month per head. This be based on what I seen in the last several winters with this same group.Wish I could get by that cheap :lol:

WOW i only wish we needed 1 1/2 bales per animal per winter. We figure between 6-8 bales from a 850 NH baler (closer to 8 ). For and average winter. Last year it was close to 10. these numbers includ bedding though. IF ONLY...

hersh":104ox5sj said:
With good hay like you described you have plentyof hay. That hay should be all they need. Quit the bucket feeding unless they have a calf thatis pulling them down.

rockridgecattle":2194jnmc said:
WOW i only wish we needed 1 1/2 bales per animal per winter. We figure between 6-8 bales from a 850 NH baler (closer to 8 ). For and average winter. Last year it was close to 10. these numbers includ bedding though. IF ONLY...

I've been reading this thinking the same thing. If only....

thanx all. With everybodies winters diff here(length and moisture) I think I fall in the middle.

I am thinking of building a 4 post roofed thing to feed under. set the posts so a bale ring fits right in tight and the roof just tall enough to drop the bales in.

One other question , has anyone ever had any prob with the sisal strings and swallowing?

As dry as it has been here for the last few years we figure 8 to 10 bails per cow.

Latest posts