Emergency cattle problem

Help Support CattleToday:

cozykedronfarm

Reaction score
I am looking for ideas as to the current cattle health problem we are facing. Have lost 2 cows and didn't see symptoms. Found a 3rd cow (hasn't calved yet, possibly 6 weeks away) who is down. She can get up but has much problems in rear legs with cordination & has some froth at the mouth with a little blood mixed - not much though. We are in a drought area and are feeding hay already. located in WV. Our thoughts are selemum defeciency (but have been giving high grade of minerals), poision, rabies. Our vet is out of town and no others are close enough to come. Thanks.

If she'll stand long enough to get in a trailer, you might load her up and take her to a vet. She can lay back down once you have her in the trailer. Call the closest one and tell him/her you are on the way.

Alice

How thin are they?
Can the cow eat & drink when you put feed/water in front of her?
What's her temp?
Is the hay from your place or purchased and are there weeds in it?
How many other cows are in that same pasture eating the same feed?

Blackleg usually stikes younger bovines, the real question is why isn't the vet standing in your pasture.

Capt Call":2xwhyrui said:
the real question is why isn't the vet standing in your pasture.

Exactly. You have 2 dead cows, soon to be a third. Get a vet out NOW. I really doubt you are dealing with a selenium issue. Those symptoms, along with two other dead sounds like a diesease to me.

no mater how far the vet is eithe take the sick cow and a dead one to post to the vet or get the vet out to look at the sick and post the dead.
In a situation such as this, three dead animals cost more than mileage for a vet. If non want to come out call the vet board or college for help. YOu have nothing to loose except more dead cows

RR

Thanks for all of the replys. Getting a vet NOW is not as easy as it would seem or there would be a vet there already. Cow is not getting up and can't get her in a trailer. Hay is from the farm that she is on. Thirty other cattle in the same field with the same hay. Cattle are in good body condition with calves on them. I was just interested in whether anyone else has ever dealt with similar symptoms. All of the things that I've dealt with for 30 years do not have these symptoms. Only other thing that I've thought of is the fact that deer in this area have tested positive for CD.

the symtoms sound like botulism... frothing at the mouth and loss of use of back legs. also their crap will be really really dehydrated before they die. however botulism usually occurs when animals are on feed, but i think it CAN occur in hay too. have you noticed any dead animals in the hay?

more likely though, given the scenario, is a plant poisoning of some kind.

Good idea, beefy.

FYI, downer cows with botulism will be in the classic "milk fever" position - head to flank. It's an easily identifiable symptom of the disease.

Beefy":30hvmvi3 said:
more likely though, given the scenario, is a plant poisoning of some kind.

That was my first thought. Given the drought conditions in our area, some cows may eat plants they wouldn't normally go for on a good year.

cozy - May want to google plants poisonous to cattle. Have you had a frost in your area yet?

cfpinz

We had a cow a few years back that had the staggering issues, not the froth though, vet said it was Polio a defiencey of some sort, gave her IV Vit B and something else, fixed her right up.

Did the other 2 have the similar conditions?

GMN

Check into some info on 'blue tongue" or EHD, caused by a gnat.

Extremely prevelent here right now. numerous cows down with it.

Sizmic

Have you tested the hay for nitrates?

Nitrate levels could be just high enough to be toxic for cows in third third stage, while still safe to feed to other cattle.

I would test the hay.

Check out the following link for EHD. It has been found in cattle in WV at this time, according to our extension office.

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/content.as ... tid=158379

Here's a portion of the information from that website:

"The rather unique feature of EHD in this latest Ohio outbreak is that the virus has affected at least two cattle herds. The primary signs observed have been excessive salivation or drooling, cloudy nasal discharge, moderate to severe lameness, poor appetite, and a severe drop in milk production in the dairy herd. Examination of affected animals in these herds has revealed mild hemorrhages in the tissues of the mouth in most animals with erosions and ulcer formation in some. In addition, the lame animals have one or more feet that are somewhat swollen and painful to the touch in the area of the coronary band (top edge of the hoof) especially at the heel. Both beef and dairy cattle are affected, and both cows and calves are affected in each herd. EHD virus infection has been suspected in a small number of additional herds in the area, but this has not yet been confirmed. Preliminary tests for EHD have been positive for some of these animals, and additional testing is being carried out to further characterize the virus and the extent of the infection in the herds. Of the 10 different serotypes of EHD virus known worldwide, only two have been reported in the USA. Testing is also being done on several dead deer found in the area, and reports as of today indicated that significant numbers of deer have died."

Our extension agent put a letter in the local paper regarding EHD. He indicated that there have been some cattle deaths from this disease that have been confirmed as EHD. The website I listed above does not indicate any deaths from EHD other than deer.

The info I've read about further indicates that it will no longer be a problem once we've had a strong frost, as the midges which are carrying the disease will be gone for the year.

Hope this helps.

I would suggest Blue Tongue got one with it now myself, La 200 and Bantamine for pain. Watch for lameness in all feet drooling at the mouth and can`t eat ( just wants to) This is a very painful virus, lots cases reported this yr. acct. dry weather & the deer pop. so high, i`m told it is caused by gnats.

blk mule

The link provided by WVcowpatty is excellent, the photo`s are the real McCoy.

blk mule

Latest posts