Embryo Transfer?

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
I was at a show a few weeks ago and I noticed something that seemed really odd to me. I was looking at the signs displaying the animal information, and there were 3 that caught my eye. They were all born the same year, from the same dam. Two of them were 3 days apart. The other was about 6 months apart. My first thought was that they may have made a typo on the signs. I checked the show book and the signs were right, the papers said the same information. One person said it could possibly be embryo transfer, but they didnt know enough about it to tell if its even possible. Could this be embryo transfer, or is it a case of messing up somewhere when altering papers?

Not everyone is as crooked as you claim they are. There is a real good chance they are ET calves. Embryos implanted the same day. There were probably more than just those 2 born that day. That is the whole purpose for flushing: to get more than one calf out of a superior animal per year.
Man oh man, you AG teacher needs a kick in the pants.

My ag teacher wasnt with us then, and I never did ask him. Since its summer, I dont see him every day to ask him stuff like that. I wasnt saying that most people are crooked like that, I dont know anything about embryo transfer. I know tons of people who are very honest and would never consider stuff like that. Unfortunately, in the Brahman world paper altering is a widespread problem that isnt getting any better, and with these big ranches, if something looks pretty suspicious, there probably is something screwy going on.

I also wish my school offered a class specificly on cattle, but we can only get Ag 101, which just covers the basics on all livestock. My school and school district are just looking for a reason to cut the entire Ag program, so we are kinda stuck doing things that we shouldnt have to do, like offer classes that appeal to more city people, like Canine Science, Floral Design, and others. Its sad to say, but I dont think the Ag program in Houston will be around many more years.

Yes, they were created using embryo transfer. You can have lots of calves born on the same day from the same matings. Embryo's will survive just like semen. Next time just ask the breeder about the calves and how many more calves are at home with the same genetics.

If might do you some good to visit with Ovagenix this weekend at the Grimes County fairgrounds. They are having a customer appreciation day with lunch, educational programs and a dance later that night. You can call them at 1-866-4-EMBRYO. I am planning are going, after coming back from Liberty Hill that morning. If you don't know anybody their, you can search me out in the crowd.

Matt

ET calves can all be due on the same day (calving possibly 2 weeks apart) or they can be due any month of the year. When a cow is flushed, NORMALLY, they have recip cows ready to receive embyos right than. Than, if they have more embryos than they have cows ready to receive them, they freeze the extras, and can implant them at any time after they are frozen, just like you would breed cattle using AI.

yes they was an are ET calves.just so happens 2 embros was implanted into the recip cows the sameday most likely. an the 3rd egg bout 3 months later.not all show ppl or crooked an juggle birthdays or reg papers to fitt their needs. scott

The day and age of "Miss-Papering" cattle should have passed. The use of DNA, it's accuracy, ease of use, and the low cost will eventually weed out the cheaters.

Most breed associations require DNA samples on every AI bull in the breed along with random DNA parentage testing on embryos.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":1hv0ipe6 said:
I was at a show a few weeks ago and I noticed something that seemed really odd to me. I was looking at the signs displaying the animal information, and there were 3 that caught my eye. They were all born the same year, from the same dam. Two of them were 3 days apart. The other was about 6 months apart. My first thought was that they may have made a typo on the signs. I checked the show book and the signs were right, the papers said the same information. One person said it could possibly be embryo transfer, but they didnt know enough about it to tell if its even possible. Could this be embryo transfer, or is it a case of messing up somewhere when altering papers?

Most likely ET. My 2 cents worth of advice. Quit worrying about what others are doing. Stay focused on what you are doing. Yes, there are a few crooks out there, but they really are the minority and not the majority. Sometimes it seems like everyone is a crook, but most people aren't.
You are an impressive young man. Stay the course. Keep learning, maintain a positive attitude and make sure you are always doing the right thing. You can be a great example to other young people. Don't let the negative things drag you down.
If you are going to be involved with showing cattle, you are going to have to get used to the politics. I've been around livestock shows since the mid 70's and they were very political then too.
Good luck with your show cattle and please keep us posted. Like seeing those pics too.

Thanks for all the info everyone. Love to learn new stuff about cattle anytime I can.

I wasnt worried about it, I was curious on how it could be done. Ive been showing cattle for about a year now, Ive gotten pretty used to the politics of the showring. It doesnt bother me. Well, it does some, but not enough to ruin the fun Im having at the shows.

Latest posts