AI verse Embryo transfer???

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I was wondering what your thoughts are on AI vs Embryo transfer? Of course we are having someone besides us do it, but any pros or cons for each???

You are kinda of asking a dog or cat question or an appple oo orange question.What is it you are looking to achieve with AI or with an ET?

hillsdown":1oxygqb7 said:
You are kinda of asking a dog or cat question or an appple oo orange question.What is it you are looking to achieve with AI or with an ET?

I thought I was the only one that was confused by the question

dun

Man it sure feels like a Monday my typing fingers have a mind of their own.

Any how here is an other question.How much do you want to spend 25 dollars or thousands?What age of animal are you talking about?Need more info.

Im sorry, I am new to all of this and I stay confused most of the time. I have 4 heifers (2 reg & 1 unreg black angus)I am needing to get bred in the next few months and I have only a very young bull calf at this point. So we are going to AI them this year. My question was is better to go AI or purchase embryos from a reg angus to transfer to my unreg black angus so as to get to our goal of more reg angus in the future...Does that make it even more confusing...SORRY :?:

If you want the unregistered cow to have a registered calf the only way to accomplish it is via ET. But I'ld AI the others and only use a sexed embryo in the unregistered heifer.

dun

I would do the opposite Dun.I wouldn't mess around with ET unless you are in a specialty market and are well known ,otherwise it can really drain the wallet.Every time you manipulate the embryo the quality of it goes down.So say you do a fresh transplant you are about 80% success.Now sex it you are 72% and if it has had that done and then been frozen you are at less than 60% chance of a success to catch.You could be spending thousands of dollars with no calves to show for it and getting way behind in season because what are you going to do if they don't accept the embryo.You have to then AI and if that doesn't work then you either do it again or find a PB bull.Now your way behind.We have done alot of flushing and transfers it is really expensive and if you are not looking for specific genetics worth really big bucks I would stick to AI.Pick a really good calving ease bull and ov sync the group.If they have bulls you can maybe sell the two PB as breeding stock and sell the other as a feeder.Then take the money and buy a couple more good PB heifers. If they have heifers from AI your laughing .Hope this helps.Like I said it all goes to how much money you want to spend.
Happy Breeding.

For the cost of ET you could probably sell your unregistered cow and use the ET money to buy a nice registered cow calf pair. If you ET then you will have the same problem next year, the cow will still not be registered and you will have to ET again.

Latest posts