electronic ignition for tractors

Help Support CattleToday:

kenojoe

Reaction score
I have a MF 230 tractor I use for small jobs and was thinking about putting electronic ignition on it. Has anyone tried these out before? Are these units any better than the old points setup? Any opinions good or bad. Thanks Joe

kenojoe":2yt7cupn said:
I have a MF 230 tractor I use for small jobs and was thinking about putting electronic ignition on it. Has anyone tried these out before? Are these units any better than the old points setup? Any opinions good or bad. Thanks Joe
I am going to ask this question because I have never seen a MF 230 with a gas engine. Are you sure it is gas.?

kenojoe":23dc1ycc said:
Here is a link to Petronix, they are the only ones that I know of that makes the electronic iginition for tractors. They do not show one for the MF 230.
http://www.pertronix.com/ptx2007_cat/ptx07_agr.pdf

I am sure. It has a Continental engine, not sure of the model off hand. My MF230 has many of the same parts as a 245 which makes it tough ordering parts. Anyway I was just wondering if the electronic replacement made much difference.

kenojoe":2ycw5ueg said:
I am sure. It has a Continental engine, not sure of the model off hand. My MF230 has many of the same parts as a 245 which makes it tough ordering parts. Anyway I was just wondering if the electronic replacement made much difference.
I have the unit on a ford 4000, and 2 farmall cubs. I really like them. There are no points to get moisture in them and also to replace. Also you will not need a condenser.

Yes, the electronic ignition systems are head and shoulders better than the Kettering (points) systems. As previously stated you don't ever have to worry about points failing or needing to be readjusted. Additionally, most of the electronic systems switch several hundred volts through the primary of the coil rather than 12 V which provides a MUCH hotter spark. This will help keep the plugs clean and will give you ignition even when the plugs are soaked in oil. Make sure you replace the coil with one that has been designed to be used with the ignition system and don't be surprised if the new coil is much smaller that your original.