electronic ID's and 3rd party auditors.. chickization of the beef industry

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd wrote "they do NOT want a location label on any meat sales in this country."

Who is they and why not?

Jo, I really don't have an opinion. I just don't see what all the fuss is about. Maybe I am naive.

I think Walnut is correct. People want transparency. If the meat is from Mexico, show it on the package. If its from ranchers in South Dakota, let the public know. If its a mixture of everything, say that. What are we trying to hide? I'm proud of the product I deliver and I hope whomever buys my calves makes a good profit on them. Wouldn't bother me if it stated on the package, born and raised at Bird Dogs ranch in North Central TX.

bird dog":1ci6dqi5 said:
ddd wrote "they do NOT want a location label on any meat sales in this country."

Who is they and why not?

Jo, I really don't have an opinion. I just don't see what all the fuss is about. Maybe I am naive.

I think Walnut is correct. People want transparency. If the meat is from Mexico, show it on the package. If its from ranchers in South Dakota, let the public know. If its a mixture of everything, say that. What are we trying to hide? I'm proud of the product I deliver and I hope whomever buys my calves makes a good profit on them. Wouldn't bother me if it stated on the package, born and raised at Bird Dogs ranch in North Central TX.

A lot of people agree with you. Canada and Mexico not so much. Google cool labeling. It gone

Looks like it's coming here to Washington state.

https://cattleproducersofwa.com/2018/01 ... e-eartags/

CPoW opposes RFID tag rule proposal
The Cattle Producers of Washington are working to alert cattle producers in the state that the Washington State Department of Agriculture (WSDA) is planning to force ranchers to use electronic eartags, despite their prohibitive costs and inefficiencies.

CPoW, a state cow-calf producers' group, learned that WSDA plans to mandate use of Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) ear tags in the near future, forcing the regulation on ranchers via agency rules.

"We are concerned about this proposal for a number of reasons, but primarily because this kind of system will put family ranchers out of business in Washington State," said CPoW President Scott Nielsen. "This unproven technology is not needed and will burden ranchers with its costs and inefficiencies."

Washington State already has both a brand program and an Animal Disease Traceability (ADT) system in place that cattle producers pay for via inspection fees and a 23 cents a head assessment for ADT. The ADT program, which aimed to improve disease traceability by making more transit paperwork electronic, is less than four years old and has not yet been fully implemented. CPoW argues that the state should not start mandating additional technologies when the current system is not proven.

"Beef cattle producers have been faithfully using the brand system and paying the ADT fee while other cattle owners have failed to participate in the system," said Nielsen. "What needs to be addressed is the segment of cattle owners, primarily dairy owners, who are refusing to comply with the law."

Nielsen points out that the state created a special database with taxpayer dollars, known as the ECTR system that used ear tag identification, for dairies that were resistant to using the brand. However, despite this special effort to accommodate dairies, only two dairymen in the state of WA have actually registered to use the system.

"Our agriculture department needs to focus on enforcing the law in the sectors that are in violation before it tries to pile new regulations on the part of the industry that is compliant," said Nielsen.

In addition, CPoW has specific concerns about RFID technology including:

*The estimated cost per tag is a minimum of $2 per tag. Tag retention is problematic, especially in range cattle and the technology to read the tags, a hand wand, often must be 12-18 inches from the ear in order to be read. Additionally, metal corrals, weather and a lack of Wi-Fi/Internet connections can all impede the technology according to a recent USDA study.

*RFID tags are highly susceptible to fraud. Unlike a brand, which cannot be removed, an RFID tag can be easily removed and replaced, essentially scrubbing the background information of an animal and allowing changes of ownership to occur without an inspection.

*Software between RFID tag readers is oftentimes not compatible and reader technology is not reliable, often missing tag signals or confusing tag information. Loading and unloading animals for transit in order to try and get RFID technology to work adds stress to an animal, labor costs to the ranch and does not improve the capture of information.

bird dog":2gvvdq93 said:

Who is they and why not?

who is they?

THEY own 85% of the cattle industry. THEY don't want COO (Country of origin) labeling. THEY do not want you to know where your meat comes from. Thats who THEY are.

What we ought to do is form a group that promotes American Beef and we all can chip in $2 for every animal we sell. Since each calf will flip ownership about three times before slaughter and we can make this mandatory this would mean $6 for every head sold in the country and this would generate around $590,000,000 each year and we can use this money to promote beef and all our problems will be solved because we will have informed the consumer and they will only want to buy American beef no matter the cost.

Shoot, we already tried that didn't we? Maybe we need to allow on farm butchering and drop some of the silly regulations that will make it affordable for small processors to set up shops on the farm. Not only would this create almost total transparency for the consumer it would also be a wonderful thing for national security by decentralizing our food chain. It would also create local skilled jobs. Producers would also benefit thru the realization of more profit. Environment would benefit because of reduced transportation costs and less dependence on fossil fuels. Of course They wouldn't like this because They would have less control over Us and they would surely scream food safety yet its funny how in other nations who have stricter regulations than we do and who require EID tags allow someone to process a deer at their home and carry it to a store to be sold then the store turn around and sell it to the public. But I guess,WE don't have enough sense to process an animal without THEM.

Beef in stores I shop at do label beef either Mexico or USA but they could be mislabeling it and who would be the wiser? When I get steaks cut I always ask to see the loin. Much trickier I think to mislabel a rib loin that was vacuum sealed at the kill plant.

Latest posts