Electrical question

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
My house is old. My basement has three overhead lights. There is a switch at the top of the stair that operates the first light, but the other two are on pull-strings. How would one get all three lights to operate with the switch? Would it be as simple as running a wire from the light that is on the switch to the other two that are not on the switch, or is there more two it than that. The lights and wiring are on open joists and would be easy to get to.I'm not an electrician, so I may have just suggested something that will burn the house down.

If you leave the pull cords "on" will the light switch on the wall turn them all on and off?

Just checking because if not it sounds like the 2 are wired separate of the one.

If that is the case the two just to be wired in series off the one that is connected to the switch assuming you have enough power and wire size to handle all 3.

Brute 23":1a3tmyb0 said:
If you leave the pull cords "on" will the light switch on the wall turn them all on and off?

Just checking because if not it sounds like the 2 are wired separate of the one.

If that is the case the two just to be wired in series off the one that is connected to the switch assuming you have enough power and wire size to handle all 3.
Bears repeating!

Brute 23":ihy0fh62 said:

No, the switch does not operate all three even if the cords are on.

Ok, although I said things were open, there is duct work and other wires running here and there. After further investigation with a flashlight and my glasses, it appears that the other two are already attached to the one that works on a switch; that is how they get electricity. So, why do they not work with the switch too? Is it due to how the wires are connected in the first light? Could it be that the wires are only hooked to hot wires in the first light, but not the switch wires?

I know the answer to your question but I'm not sure if I can do it clearly but I'm gonna try.

It's probably wired "reverse switch leg" which meansthe power goes to the light first and then to the switch. You need to find the power coming in to the first light. (You have to do away with the power coming into the lights with the pull chains) Unhook it and then make a connection and take the power to the last light, then from the last light to the middle light, then from the middle light to the first light. Or just find an electrician. Sorry if this doesn't make sense.

Basically what has to happen is that power has to go to the switch first and then the lights OR to the lights first then the switch. Either way all the lights have to be tied together.

JMJ Farms":2k1sgd12 said:
I know the answer to your question but I'm not sure if I can do it clearly but I'm gonna try.

It's probably wired "reverse switch leg" which meansthe power goes to the light first and then to the switch. You need to find the power coming in to the first light. (You have to do away with the power coming into the lights with the pull chains) Unhook it and then make a connection and take the power to the last light, then from the last light to the middle light, then from the middle light to the first light. Or just find an electrician. Sorry if this doesn't make sense.

Basically what has to happen is that power has to go to the switch first and then the lights OR to the lights first then the switch. Either way all the lights have to be tied together.

All three lights are connected with the wires, but the power currently starts at the first light that operates on the switch and then goes to the other two from it. So, you're saying to run the power wire so it is first connected to the last light, then to middle, and ends with the light that is currently operated with a switch.

IM ASSUMING SO KEEP THAT IN MIND. Most likely you have a hot wire(wire #1) coming from the panel box. It is probably going into the box at light #1. Then most likely wire #2 is attached to wire #1. Wire #2 is then going to light #2. Wire #2 is then proceeding to light #3.

Back to light #1. If I'm right then wire #3 should also be tied to wires #1 & #2 at this light also. Wire #3 then proceeds to the switch. If it is reverse switch leg wiring then this is what you should find.

If you pull out the switch it should have one black wire and one white wire hooked to it. There should be no other wires in this switch box.

At light #1. Two white wires should be hooked to the light itself. I

f this is what you see then what you have to do is to find the wire that's bringing the power (possibly from the panel or from another junction box) either way you need a meter to check and make sure that you have 120V when you cross the hot and neutral. Make a connection to this hot wire and take it to light #3. Hook the black wire to the light. Take (new wire #1) and run from light #3 to light #2. Take the white wire from (new wire #1) and attach one end to light #3 and the other white end to light #2. At light #3 tie the remaining black wire and the remaining white wire together.

Now run another wire from light #2 to light #1. At light #2 hook both white wires to the light and tie the black wires together.

Now back to light #1. Tie both white wires to the light and tie both black wires together.

Hope this helps. It's kinda confusing I know. It's backwards from the way we wire things these days but used to be the norm. Basically you are running a hot wire to the last light. The power is going through the black wire in this order. Light 3 then bypassing light 2 then bypassing light 1 then to switch. When switch is turned on power goes to white wire at switch then to light 1 then to light 2 then to light 3 thus completing the circuit.

JMJ Farms":3oo16zmb said:
IM ASSUMING SO KEEP THAT IN MIND. Most likely you have a hot wire(wire #1) coming from the panel box. It is probably going into the box at light #1. Then most likely wire #2 is attached to wire #1. Wire #2 is then going to light #2. Wire #2 is then proceeding to light #3.

Back to light #1. If I'm right then wire #3 should also be tied to wires #1 & #2 at this light also. Wire #3 then proceeds to the switch. If it is reverse switch leg wiring then this is what you should find.

If you pull out the switch it should have one black wire and one white wire hooked to it. There should be no other wires in this switch box.

At light #1. Two white wires should be hooked to the light itself. I

f this is what you see then what you have to do is to find the wire that's bringing the power (possibly from the panel or from another junction box) either way you need a meter to check and make sure that you have 120V when you cross the hot and neutral. Make a connection to this hot wire and take it to light #3. Hook the black wire to the light. Take (new wire #1) and run from light #3 to light #2. Take the white wire from (new wire #1) and attach one end to light #3 and the other white end to light #2. At light #3 tie the remaining black wire and the remaining white wire together.

Now run another wire from light #2 to light #1. At light #2 hook both white wires to the light and tie the black wires together.

Now back to light #1. Tie both white wires to the light and tie both black wires together.

Hope this helps. It's kinda confusing I know. It's backwards from the way we wire things these days but used to be the norm. Basically you are running a hot wire to the last light. The power is going through the black wire in this order. Light 3 then bypassing light 2 then bypassing light 1 then to switch. When switch is turned on power goes to white wire at switch then to light 1 then to light 2 then to light 3 thus completing the circuit.

I think I finally understand this. I had to make a drawing so i could have a visual. So, at light three, I'm actually attaching one black wire and one white wire to the light, and tying the other black and white wire to each other? Is that correct?

Latest posts