electric fencer and weather

Help Support CattleToday:

Hardknocks

Reaction score
thinking about purchasing a electric fencer, looking at a super enegizeer 5 or rangemaster i dont need the rangemaster but the local coop only has that ccharger. will there be a problem if i buy the 100 mile when i dont need it. also will it shorten the life if i put it in a wooden home made box or metal box to keep it out of the weather. im looking for a real good charger. trhat is hot

Parmark, and a really good ground. Life expectancy would probably be better in a nice tight spot, but any shelter would help.

perfect thanks i wil get the parmark just didnt need the 100 Mile but i need it today

76 Bar said:
Curious to know why Parmak outshines the rest of the pack?

It doesn't seem like you can hardly make em not work. I pretty much found one I had forgotten about 5 years ago.. On the ground panel broken top off full of dirt and ants. Blew it out put a battery and a deer feeder solar panel on it and it'll make you bite your tongue.

Op
The mile rating on a fence charger is a useless piece of info. It means nothing. Look at Joule s.

I guess I'm the odd one out, I'd put my Gallagher M1500s up against anything. They are 15 Joules. I was kidding my daughter that we could start raising grizzly bears cause the picture on the box says it will keep them in (or out).
I totally agree though, which ever fencer you use if you don't have a good ground you've got nothing.

SBMF 2015 said:
I guess I'm the odd one out, I'd put my Gallagher M1500s up against anything. They are 15 Joules. I was kidding my daughter that we could start raising grizzly bears cause the picture on the box says it will keep them in (or out).
I totally agree though, which ever fencer you use if you don't have a good ground you've got nothing.

There was a Parmak here when I bought the farm and it worked but not like the Gallagher M1500 I have. The M1500 lights them up more (they touch it once) and it seems it's not as sensitive to things on the fence.

chaded said:
SBMF 2015 said:

There was a Parmak here when I bought the farm and it worked but not like the Gallagher M1500 I have. The M1500 lights them up more (they touch it once) and it seems it's not as sensitive to things on the fence.

Again, it would all depend on the joules. What was the Parmak rated? 15 joules is a good rating.

sstterry said:
chaded said:
SBMF 2015 said:

Again, it would all depend on the joules. What was the Parmak rated? 15 joules is a good rating.

You know I couldn't tell you for sure. They don't make the model anymore and I think the Mark 8 replaced it? 5 or 6 joules?

I know it should be expected that the M1500 would be more then that but does Parmak make anything that high?

We like our Gallagher fencers. They are reliable and put out. Recently we've used a couple patriot battery powered fencers as well with good results. Patriot are less money but Gallagher has a reputation that's hard to beat.
We've had a couple parmaks and they were garbage for us. I wouldn't go anywhere near them. But maybe our Canadian conditions are too much for them.

For me, training was just as important as joules. Put up a little temporary fence around a hay bale or feed bucket and let them all get curious and touch it once. I'm sure this doesn't work for every cow, but mine don't come even close to a single white strand at mid-thigh level. and +1 Parmak :)

pdubdo said:
For me, training was just as important as joules. Put up a little temporary fence around a hay bale or feed bucket and let them all get curious and touch it once. I'm sure this doesn't work for every cow, but mine don't come even close to a single white strand at mid-thigh level. and +1 Parmak :)
That is the whole concept behind an electric fence. It is a psychological barrier for them. Any bull or decent size cow can plow right through an electric fence. But the animals are trained to know if they touch it, it is not good. Therefore they stay in.

chaded said:
You know I couldn't tell you for sure. They don't make the model anymore and I think the Mark 8 replaced it? 5 or 6 joules?

I know it should be expected that the M1500 would be more then that but does Parmak make anything that high?

There is a big difference between 5 and 15 as far as shock. Cyclops makes a 32-joule unit.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077VJMX6/?tag=cattletoday00-20
And it seems that I recall seeing a 64-joule unit at one time.

Stafix makes a 63joule unit that comes with a remote so you can turn the fence off anywhere you can touch it.
https://www.stafix.com/en/product/m63rs-mains-energizer

Of course, price is a big consideration. Full disclosure, I have two Gallager's and have been very happy with them. But neither are solar-powered. Solar can only do so much, but if the cows are trained it should be fine.

Edit, I just remembered I do have a Parmak battery-powered box that I have not used yet.

I have 100x more problems with 200lbs calves figuring out that if they run fast enough the fence only hurts for a second and their out. But they try and go slow going back and get lit up.
I have a small lot that I have thought about using a Parmak 12v solar fencer. I just can't get past the difference in Jules out put between solar and 110.

I have 2 range masters and gotten along well with them. Pretty powerful, rated at 6.6 jol. With good moisture and a clean fence mine will shock at at 10-11kv. Been nailed by it several times, you won't forget it. I also have close to a dozen 12volt solar parmak. Have very good luck with them. Have sent a few of them in for repair, but they never charge me and have them back to me within 1.5-2 weeks.

I'm going to buy one of the high powered stafix charges for the house. Putting a high tensile fence around 240 acres with lots of cross fences. Hope it can handle it

I agree the ground is essential to a successful electric fence. So let's talk grounding. How is everyone else doing it? I seem to do just as good or better with three 4' pieces of clean rebar spaced 6' apart over a copper rod 8' in the ground. It is pretty hard to drive a smallish rod that far in the ground around here.

dvcochran said:
I agree the ground is essential to a successful electric fence. So let's talk grounding. How is everyone else doing it? I seem to do just as good or better with three 4' pieces of clean rebar spaced 6' apart over a copper rod 8' in the ground. It is pretty hard to drive a smallish rod that far in the ground around here.
Do I understand that you dig a trench 8' deep?

sstterry said:
dvcochran said:
Do I understand that you dig a trench 8' deep?
I have 3 8' galvanized rods buried in the drip of the barn. Not 8' deep but buried and 6' apart.

Latest posts