East Texas Lightning

Help Support CattleToday:

Wow.. that seems like a lot for one person. We've been raising cattle for nearly 20 years, and have never lost one to lightning. A friend of mine from the valley has lost quite a few as well over the years, but his place is mostly open. I suspect the cattle take refuge under one of the few trees, and become more of a target.

Sorry for your loss.. that's a tough one.

thats a tough loss to take.an its no fun to loose cattle to lighting.makes you sick to your stomach.

thats a bad deal..can see where the lighting split the bark on the tree .. it would be worth building a shelter of some type, on that part of your property. i would hope that picture would'nt offend anyone, we all at natures mercy.

That's a shame. I have a friend who lost several from one strike and he knocked down every tree on the place.

This may not have anything to do with your problem but we have found in our forestry activities that if we are using natural regeneration to reseed the land we are less apt to have lighting kills if we leave at least 20 seed trees per acre. If we drop down to say 12, lightning will reak havoc on the site. I don't know why.

I've had one death that I've contributed to lightening. Found her under a tree after a lightening storm, but she looked like she was sitting there with her head stretched out in front of her on the ground. Blood was coming out her nose and mouth. How long after the storm did you take that pic?

Horticattleman":3pq2657f said:
Posted where? I'm looking all over and you guys talking about it is driving me crazy.
Click on photos at the top of the page. Go to the second page of photos and the picture shows 6 dead cows under a pine tree.

They had the blood coming out the nose and mouth as you described. They also hit the ground dead I guess no sign of any movement at all. The storm rolled through between 4 and 6 PM. I heard the calves calling the next morning around daylight. I figured a tree had blown across a fence and a calf had gotten out and could not find its way back in. Shortly after daylight I rode down and found the cows under the tree. .