earth quake in Haiti

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMN

Reaction score
If something like this happened here in the USA it would be devastating too, but there with building codes slack and poverty levels high, it has to be a complete disaster-some of the pics i have seen it looks like massive destrcution-got to feel for these folks.

GMN

What has supprised me is the many,many nations that have embassys in Haiti. Help is on the way.
Both rich and poor have been affected by this.

GMN":1nvrh2hd said:
If something like this happened here in the USA it would be devastating too, but there with building codes slack and poverty levels high, it has to be a complete disaster-some of the pics i have seen it looks like massive destrcution-got to feel for these folks.

GMN

Haiti is probably THE poorest nation in the hemisphere. Like living in the 1800's over there. I'm sure any kind of help would be appreciated.

Economic Indicators
to the top

GNI per capita (US$), 2007 $560

GDP per capita average annual growth rate (%), 1970–1990 -0.3%

GDP per capita average annual growth rate (%), 1990–2007 -2.1%

Average annual rate of inflation (%), 1990–2007 18%

% of population below international poverty line of US$1.25 per day, 2005 55%

Jogeephus":2kdl0ri4 said:
My buddy should be there on the ground within the next few hours. I don't envy him.

Dear Lord, nor do I...bless his heart!

Alice

We've got some folks we know down there on a mission trip. They were a distance from the main event, came out safe, and are now trying to do what they can. Facebook has been interesting.

Considering the latest news updates on the countries that are offering aid & personnel support...

Interesting tha Haiti and Dominican Republic has its roots in the French and are still primarily French...

Very interesting that France is to date offering and supplying the LEAST amount of supplies, personnel, and other support than any other country...

France continues its record...I'm not allowed to say bad things about them here...lol...

On the other hand, can't at the moment think of anything Good to say about France...

The above aside,

It is truly a catastrophic tragedy what has been and is happening in that area...seems like that area has been a target for natural disasters for decades...

Very sad... :(

Those folks definately need help. I just hope they get the help they need and our government does not bring them over here to the USA.
~Tom.

kerley":1d038r8j said:
Those folks definately need help. I just hope they get the help they need and our government does not bring them over here to the USA.
~Tom.
Hillary already has said they'll give Visas tono telling how many to come here. Probably Master Cards too.

Running Arrow Bill":s2zejlp5 said:
Considering the latest news updates on the countries that are offering aid & personnel support...

Interesting tha Haiti and Dominican Republic has its roots in the French and are still primarily French...

Very interesting that France is to date offering and supplying the LEAST amount of supplies, personnel, and other support than any other country...

France continues its record...I'm not allowed to say bad things about them here...lol...

On the other hand, can't at the moment think of anything Good to say about France...

The above aside,

It is truly a catastrophic tragedy what has been and is happening in that area...seems like that area has been a target for natural disasters for decades...

Very sad... :(

They can't be worse than the Chinese. They only pledged 5 million. Heck they make that much every 5 minutes on all the cheap Chinese crap that gets sold at Wal Mart every day

kerley":2m6uh6y3 said:
~Tom.
Nah most probably that will here they send them to. It is a shame but that is how it goes, always seems to be the poor Countries that get this s**t landed on them. let's hope they get the help soon.

What I saw on CNN was that the Chinese pledged $1 million, USA pledged $100 million. Heck even Spain beat China at $4.5 million.
Of course, now the politicians chime in........quoting Rush Limbaugh as saying "Don't send Haiti money!!" When actually what he said was, "Don't send Haiti money through the white house", which is what Obama is telling folks to do. I don't care what side of the fence you are on, I think everyone can agree that politicians in this country are about the lowest human form there is. I really hope not one incumbent gets voted back in in this next election, but we all know how that goes. I sent a donation through the Red Cross, that's always safe. I know, there are many reasons NOT to donate, but it just felt right for me.

Okay that's about enough outta me.......

grubbie":3c5yk3pe said:
What I saw on CNN was that the Chinese pledged $1 million, USA pledged $100 million. Heck even Spain beat China at $4.5 million.
Of course, now the politicians chime in........quoting Rush Limbaugh as saying "Don't send Haiti money!!" When actually what he said was, "Don't send Haiti money through the white house", which is what Obama is telling folks to do. I don't care what side of the fence you are on, I think everyone can agree that politicians in this country are about the lowest human form there is. I really hope not one incumbent gets voted back in in this next election, but we all know how that goes. I sent a donation through the Red Cross, that's always safe. I know, there are many reasons NOT to donate, but it just felt right for me.

Okay that's about enough outta me.......

You're absolutely right, grubbie. It's amazing how people will use a terrible disaster like this one to further a political agenda.

Anyone who pays taxes will be donating to a certain extent, as millions of our tax dollars will be spent on this thing. Got no problem with that, but if a person wants to donate on their own, there are plenty of ways to do it where the politics will be at a minimum.

http://www.networkforgood.org/

A terrible thing indeed, they never recovered from the last tidal wave. The local Church had mission groups over there, they say it is a nightmare. Just a heads up, don't donate using your Visa card (as they are advertising you can do) as they take a 3% cut. Getting rich off of donations, some people................

For anyone considering donating to ANY charitable organization, make use of the site
http://www.charitynavigator.org/
they have charts and reviews and scores on MANY of the groups that contact us at various times throughout the year. Very helpful

some of the top scoring ones are Americares, Doctors without Borders. Red Cross is good too.

check it out, and whatever you do, do NOT donate over the phone!! (unless YOU contact the organization that way.) BIG SCAMS going around right now because of the Haiti disaster and always someone looking to make a buck the easy way!

I am sending a donation through Doctors without borders and the Red Cross, hopefully it will be utilized properly .

Got a nephew in the airforce and has been in Hondorus (sp) the last six months and was headed home to his family and got re-routed to Haiti.He's in the medics.

Cal

hillsdown":1w76fida said:
I am sending a donation through Doctors without borders and the Red Cross, hopefully it will be utilized properly .

Another good one is Catholic Relief Services thru Catholic Charities..whether you're Catholic or not it is one of the most reputable, and highest rated of all charities....

http://www.crs.org/accountability/

Ok TexasBred...not going to let the Methodist take a back seat so I'll put up a link for UMCOR. As a side note, they already have a mission presence and took a hit as well. http://new.gbgm-umc.org/umcor/

Imagine how the members of A&M United Methodist Church feel about one of their mission projects. It was a Portable Medical Clinic built out of a 10x40 cargo box. At first it was used as a model for others to copy, but in time it was depoyed. It was already in Haiti when the quake hit.

http://www.am-umc.org/new%20page/forms/ ... ochure.pdf

Respond by participating in our next Portable Medical Clinic

Last year's PMC is actually serving the people of
Haiti. It is located just outside of the heavily hit Port
au Prince at an orphanage. The orphanage was
spared and there are preparing to send 5-6 more
containers to that area. While we do not determine
where the PMC goes, we do outfit it knowing that it
will serve people in need. It just happened that our
first one is in a place of
desperate need as of
Tuesday, January 12.
The clinics in Haiti are
desparate to replenish
needed first aid supplies.
To help in this effort
please bring items such as
alcohol, peroxide,
bandages, and
antiseptic/antibiotic
creams to the church to be
forwarded to the clinics.
Monetary donations to purchase supplies are also
accepted. Please make checks to A&M UMC with
Haiti First Aid Supplies on the memo line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts