Early weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas Gal

Reaction score
Our hot, dry conditions are worsening with each day of 100+ heat. I'm considering weaning and selling some 90-120 day old calves. I've never weaned this early and was curious if there is anything beyond the usual clean water available, good hay, etc.
that I need to be aware of. Thanks for any suggestions.

If the etc. includes a high quality protein source, that's about it. If it doesn't, they'll require a high quliaty protein source.

dun

oops!! I assumed that everyone would know that "etc." included a high protein supplement. As always, you know what happens when one assumes .........

Texas Gal":22yydbtg said:
oops!! I assumed that everyone would know that "etc." included a high protein supplement. As always, you know what happens when one assumes .........

That's why I qualified it. I see too many calves that are weaned on grass and then people wonder why they look like crap and don;t grow.

dun

They are getting one-way tickets to town from me; I can't afford to keep the extra mouths around to feed. They'll stay around for a couple of weeks until they are eating well, then hello salebarn.

Texas Gal":2tekr8kj said:
They'll stay around for a couple of weeks until they are eating well, then hello salebarn.
I'd plan on keeping them longer than a couple of weeks. Or else haul them to the sale the same morning that you pull them off the cows. Two weeks worth of weaning on calves that age should have them maximizing shrink and respiratory problems as hot, dusty and dry as it is.

The only advantage I can see in holding them for a couple of weeks is if you fence line wean and it keeps the cows shut up. But after about 3 days the cows generally don;t care. Either procon them for 45 days or wean them on the trailer.

dun

Texas Gal":1qel36nq said:
Our hot, dry conditions are worsening with each day of 100+ heat. I'm considering weaning and selling some 90-120 day old calves. I've never weaned this early and was curious if there is anything beyond the usual clean water available, good hay, etc.

Consider vaccinating them, too. This time of the year, hot, dry, dusty, they're likely to get sick on you or someone else.

Frankie":wuj3nn1k said:
Texas Gal":wuj3nn1k said:

Consider vaccinating them, too. This time of the year, hot, dry, dusty, they're likely to get sick on you or someone else.

Wait for a good day (weather wise), so you don't stress them too much

I have shipped a bunch in that age group due to poor forage conditions or other reasons. Looks like mine will be going in the 150-210 day range this year though.

Weaning???? That is the act of removing them from their mom's and loading them in the trailer right? :lol:

Texas Gal":wp8n1rva said:

Texas A&M has quite a few articles for early weaning in drought conditions.

Latest posts