Early Winter?

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Hummingbirds are starting to swarm here, we have 100's already preparing to stage up for their trip south.
This is two weeks earlier than normal, there will be thousands before they go. Then poof get up
one morning and they are gone. Here is some old pics of what it looks like for a week or
so while they gathering up together to go south.
I will try and remember to get some new pics in the next couple of days.
We have people come every year to photograph the little devils. It is pretty neat to see
all the little fellows get together for migration. The Mrs. is already up to a gallon a day of sugar water
when it there gets to be enough here they hit two gallons a day they are going to leave in a day or two.
Last few years they have been getting here mid Sept. usually they show the first of Oct.

One morning last week it got down to 40 and the high in the 50s, lows in the mid 40s for a couple of days and the hummers have all left. From a couple of dozen to occassionally I'll see one once a day and that's it.

I can't imagine that many hummingbirds at once... Around here the most we have is about 2-3 families.. 10 or so birds
For such little buggers they sure have a lot of attitude!

Couple mornings ago it was 6C in the morning.. right about 40F, I'm not ready for winter yet!

There have been a couple of mornings lately that it is in the upper 40's low 50's. Nice crisp fall mornings. I love that kind of weather. Makes a person feel alive and want to get out and do something.

Caustic, those pictures were awesome last year and they're still awesome!
Quite a sight to see so many of them in one place.

We usually have 2 or 3. I saw one a few days ago, but the feeder hasn't been very busy these last few days. I usually see them 1st thing and at the end of the day, minimal activity lately.

Yep, early winter--and a bad'un. I done seen where Skyhightree has been gathering trailer loads of firewood like crazy.

skyhightree1":3hr9gib1 said:
2 trailer loads
ResizedImage_1441579071607_zps28c92532.jpg

Only thing telling me winter is on the way is it is still dark at 6:30 in the mornings. The other night I thought it was about time to go to bed but it was barely 8:30. The hot dry daylight hours say summer is not going to bow out gracefully.

1982vett":1cxxb30g said:
Only thing telling me winter is on the way is it is still dark at 6:30 in the mornings. The other night I thought it was about time to go to bed but it was barely 8:30. The hot dry daylight hours say summer is not going to bow out gracefully.

Saying very strong el nino this fall. I figure we,ll go from hot dust to cold mud like a switch being flipped

I would not want to be sitting in Tiger Stadium tomorrow afternoon. Son and his wife will be there sitting on the 50. Game is at 2pm I think and a few people may get heat stroke. LSU is offering water at 1/2 price due to the heat :devil2: :devil2:

M-5":1isb1lej said:
ga.prime":1isb1lej said:
M-5":1isb1lej said:
see some yellow butterflies this week.
Ever since you said that, I see yellow butterflies everywhere I look.
Old timers say when you see a bunch of them on the ground its 6 weeks to first frost. I'm not seeing them gather on ground yet but it should be soon.
I know what you're talking about. They'll gather around a mud hole. All I've seen so far are just flying around like they're looking for flowers.

fenceman":fc13ua2d said:
1982vett":fc13ua2d said:

Saying very strong el nino this fall. I figure we,ll go from hot dust to cold mud like a switch being flipped

I hope so I think I have gotten about a 1/10th since mid June need rain bad.

Katherine I forgot here is one I got right at dark the flash was scaring them.
I will try and remember to get an earlier in the day photo's.
There was a whole bunch buzzing around around, I didn't get out there early enough
for them to settle down with DD running around.

The flash of the camera really captures that irridescent green coloring. That has to be really something, if you're out there, not too far from them, when there are so many......the sound of their humming has to be very noticeable! I know how loud one can be, as it buzzes by my head.

Love those pictures! Thank you!! :D

We need an air traffic controller.
Mrs and I were sitting in the porch swing and one landed on her shoulder.
Last time I seen her she was clearing a 5 strand barb wire fence.
It is actually loud on the porch from the buzzing.