Early breed cycle?

Help Support CattleToday:

PCC

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a question regarding the time frame a cow will cycle after calving. On November 26 a first calf heifer calves a stillborn calf. On the first of December we introduced the bull to the cow herd. Yesterday, the 4th he showed interest in her and today her indicator sticker was rubbed clean showing she had been covered. This is all well and good except I have never heard of a cow cycling so soon after calving. Does it have to do with losing her calf? What are the chances of her actually settling? Thank you for any insight you have on this,
Jen

I would say that you have about a zero percent chance that she will settle. If you did not actual see her stand to let the bull breed her, I wouldn't even think she was in heat based on just the indicator. I have seen cows in heat try to mount cows that are laying down and rub their indicators off. I'm sure the bull can do the same.

Dsth, I didn't see her stand for the bull but he was doing his normal courting routine with the sniffing, grooming, nose curls and mounting attempts. I left for work shortly after noticing this and when I fed this morning her sticker was clean where it hadn't been previously. There are no other cows in heat currently and the bull is not new to his job. I am not terribly concerned if she settles or not, I have just never seen this behavior and was curious if anyone else had.

Sounds pretty normal to me. Had a cow I struggled to get bred previous years abort her calf about 45 days early, and about 1 week before the bull turn out. The bull bred her during the 2nd week of turnout. That would be 2 weeks after she aborted her calf. When we preg checked she was 90 days, so she stuck on that first service. and she is in the early part of the calving this year.

Thank you, I appreciate your input. I guess I hadn't expected to see her cycling so soon after calving. Maybe not having a calf sucking kicked her brought it on early.

Latest posts