Early bred heifer/Lutalyse

Help Support CattleToday:

Walker

Reaction score
I bought 3 Gelbviegh heifers in Dec. that would be 1 yr old in Feb. Fellow gave me some Lutalyse told me to give all 3 shot just in case, so I did. Yesterday I noticed 1 of the heifers bag is swelling, and shes getting jiggly. My question is if she was preg would it take her this long to abort, and would it trigger her bag to drop. This is my first dealings with Lute so I have no Idea of cattles reactions to it.

After a number of days bred, which I don;t remember, lute won;t cause them to abort

Walker":3riyqmw5 said:
If the lute does work could/should she birth the fetus unassisted?
Yes, it will be so tiny you won;t even know she has passed it

More than likely she was too far along for the lute to work and she is actually getting ready to deliver a full term calf.

Katie":1wp4phab said:
More than likely she was too far along for the lute to work and she is actually getting ready to deliver a full term calf.

I have to agree completely! Good luck. Usually the mom ends up stunted if she's super young and calves. Pending a live calf and all goes well you usually never get a good "cow" out of the deal.
Been there done that. Glad we don't buy heifers anymore from places we have to deal with that.
Hope it works out for you. Keep us posted.
Double R

Dun, you were right. She must have passed it, as her swelling is going down and her udder hasn't collected anymore milk.

Latest posts