earliest CIDR use

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
I'm trying to push some cattle forward in their calving . . . I know it's recommended to wait till 40-45 days after calving before attempting to cycle cattle again . . . anyone tried 30 days?

If the cows aren't cycling, there isn't anything you can do to force them to cycle. Provide them with good feed, and as long as there's no calving complications or fresh cow complications (ie uterine infection or milk fever), many cows will cycle early. With proper fresh cow care, I've seen cows cycle as early as a week post-partum, and I've seen them settle then too.

milkmaid":3j9y48q9 said:
If the cows aren't cycling, there isn't anything you can do to force them to cycle. Provide them with good feed, and as long as there's no calving complications or fresh cow complications (ie uterine infection or milk fever), many cows will cycle early. With proper fresh cow care, I've seen cows cycle as early as a week post-partum, and I've seen them settle then too.

Interesting. I took an AI course through Mich State U that taught a combination of CIDR and Gnrh could jump start cycling in non-cycling animals. I've never had to do it before so I can't lay claim to the validity.

angus9259":2t3etqe6 said:
milkmaid":2t3etqe6 said:

Interesting. I took an AI course through Mich State U that taught a combination of CIDR and Gnrh could jump start cycling in non-cycling animals. I've never had to do it before so I can't lay claim to the validity.

I don;t know about the CIDR part, but GnRH will start them cycling, if they are old enough to cycle, i.e have a CL.

dun":bfdwlk5p said:
angus9259":bfdwlk5p said:
milkmaid":bfdwlk5p said:

I don;t know about the CIDR part, but GnRH will start them cycling, if they are old enough to cycle, i.e have a CL.

I've always been told -- and read -- that if the cow is in anestrus and there's no ovarian activity you cannot jump start her. There's a difference between a cow in anestrus and a cow with a CL that's not cycling.

Not completely certain on this one so I may be wrong.

We just ran a 3 year old with a 28 day old calf on her through with the rest of the cows, gnrh and CIDR and had a good response, hot heat. Will tell you in a few weeks if A.I. took.

Good data. Thanks. Gonna try it on some late bloomers myself this week so I can push them forward.

have had success with Gnrh and Cidrs in cows implementing the Cidr 7 days past calving and timed breeding. On average though, probably avg about 40% sticking w/ timed AI when less than 28 days; but will jumpstart them for the bulls turn on the next cycle.

jbar5":1pyzl8eq said:
have had success with Gnrh and Cidrs in cows implementing the Cidr 7 days past calving and timed breeding. On average though, probably avg about 40% sticking w/ timed AI when less than 28 days; but will jumpstart them for the bulls turn on the next cycle.

perfect. that's exactly what I'll do

I only have one that's that close to her calving date . . . the rest are about 15-30 days past.

then hopefully next year I won't have to push them so hard

I have started CIDR implant at 30 days post partum. All being perfect that puts you at breeding about 40 days post partum. I tried this on a group of 6 cows, three were not in good BCS. They did not respond as well as I had hoped one of those had a heat but very faint. I never saw her active and never saw the spotter mount. Yet the three that were in better BCS all came in heat about 48 hours after pulling the CIDRS and were bred AI. My findings would indicate that the cows must be in good health to jump them up to a sooner breeding date. Naturally it is not very scientific.

Another thing that has been overlooked so far is that the uterus takes time to get back to normal size and to heal after the last pregnancy, especially if there was a difficult calving or a retained placenta. Just because you can force a cow to cycle, doesn't mean she is ready to conceive AND MAINTAIN a pregnancy yet.

KNERSIE":3muzx5ce said:
Another thing that has been overlooked so far is that the uterus takes time to get back to normal size and to heal after the last pregnancy, especially if there was a difficult calving or a retained placenta. Just because you can force a cow to cycle, doesn't mean she is ready to conceive AND MAINTAIN a pregnancy yet.

Good point - generally speaking, it's probably not good practice. Unfortunately for some of these girls, it's move up or move out so I'll give them a shot.

my vet always says the second heat after the CIDR is strongest, so if your AI does not take the bull usually settles them next cycle

angus9259":1uaqj1w7 said:
I'm trying to push some cattle forward in their calving . . . I know it's recommended to wait till 40-45 days after calving before attempting to cycle cattle again . . . anyone tried 30 days?

Make sure the cows are on a rsisng plane of nutrition 28 days has worked for us I have heard even 22 days tried. If it works then more calves earlier. They are not cheap but I like my Cidrs.

Jeff

Latest posts