Earliest age to fertility test a bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

longhorntractor

Reaction score
Quick question: what is the earliest age to accurately fertility test a bull?

I have seen ads on cattlerange for yearling bulls (and younger) and they state that they have either tested them or will guarantee fertility. Is it possible for the vet to reliably fertility test a bull that is 11-13 months of age?

Thanks in advance!

Fire Sweep Ranch completed the sale of a simmental bull that was based on a 10 month BSE. My vet has stated that he prefers doing them when that are at least 15 months old. The criteria quantitatively and qualitatively are based on age. For example, the minimum scrotal circumference is different at 12 months vs 18 months.

longhorntractor":269ps5gt said:

I have seen ads on cattlerange for yearling bulls (and younger) and they state that they have either tested them or will guarantee fertility. Is it possible for the vet to reliably fertility test a bull that is 11-13 months of age?

Thanks in advance!

We do it every year to bulls that have been on test and others that are finished on a lot less feed. If they don't test at 13months it's not the kiss of death but they do seem to pass earlier if they are well fed.

BTW I just found out that a bull I sold this spring sired a calf before he was weaned last fall at 7 months.

3waycross":3bqqul8f said:
longhorntractor":3bqqul8f said:

Thanks in advance!

We do it every year to bulls that have been on test and others that are finished on a lot less feed. If they don't test at 13months it's not the kiss of death but they do seem to pass earlier if they are well fed.

BTW I just found out that a bull I sold this spring sired a calf before he was weaned last fall at 7 months.

3way, I have wondered for management of bull calves with cows and heifers at what age they need to be removed. Looks like at least by 7 mo.

This is why we routinely Lutalyse our heifers when we wean. Especially the high percentage Gelbvieh's they mature pretty early.

of course since my genetics suck it's really a waste of time.

3waycross":1yca96tn said:
This is why we routinely Lutalyse our heifers when we wean. Especially the high percentage Gelbvieh's they mature pretty early.

Not by my eyes they don't!

inyati13":36bpct13 said:
3waycross":36bpct13 said:

Not by my eyes they don't!

Read the thread about developing heifers.

i wouldnt BSE till he is 16 to 18 months old.but thats just me.i know most can breed younger than that if they are big enough.

We test at 10-11 months, never have had a bull fail yet. By 12 months or a bit earlier he's turned out with the cows.

bigbull338":22eof8m1 said:
i wouldnt BSE till he is 16 to 18 months old.but thats just me.i know most can breed younger than that if they are big enough.

So would you buy a yearling bull and not test him before he was turned out? If so why?

i doubt if i would buy a yearling bull unless he fit my needs.then yes id have him tested before i bought him.as you know i like to buy bulls 2yrs old or older.

As Ron said, we tested a 10 month old purebred simmental bull. He was weaned at 7 months, then out on 18 pounds of bull ration a day and good clover fescue pasture. He was sold at just 10 months old, but had to pass a BSE before leaving. We took a chance and had him tested before we left to Louisville, KY for our national show and he passed, 96% motile sperm, 36 cm testicles, he weighed 1080 pounds. He left the next weekend when we got home to his new home.

when do limflex bulls come to maturity.my bull is 10 months old and he wants to move like jagger and im pretty sure the 20 month heiffer smells pregnant to me.yes you can smell it they get milky smelling breath.i think he may have also bred his mother and hes not weaned yet.pretty good lactation for an angus.the limflex is buff for 10 months.im sur a lot of people want his job

accidental breeder":2cuvdpq4 said:
when do limflex bulls come to maturity.my bull is 10 months old and he wants to move like jagger and im pretty sure the 20 month heiffer smells pregnant to me.yes you can smell it they get milky smelling breath.i think he may have also bred his mother and hes not weaned yet.pretty good lactation for an angus.the limflex is buff for 10 months.im sur a lot of people want his job
He may not be of age but sounds like he knows what to do. Milk on their breath?? Now that's a new one on me. :shock:

TexasBred":258pppyy said:
accidental breeder":258pppyy said:
He may not be of age but sounds like he knows what to do. Milk on their breath?? Now that's a new one on me. :shock:

10 months and not weaned yet. Somebody is jerking someone's chain.

Usually about 12-14 months is when we get a BSE for all our sale bulls as well as take our herd sire in for a yearly BSE too to make sure he's OK to go for the breeding season too. They should be mature and fertile enough at 1 year of age and our sale bulls birth dates will range from mid Feb to mid April so the older ones will be closer to 14 months while the younger ones just over 12 months by the time we have it done. We may have some of them sold before we give them a BSE but our policy always has been we will continue to feed them out up until May 1st or so and by the time you come to pick up your bull he'll have his BSE and we'll have all the yearling data and ultrasound scan data that we want to collect for our performance records. I don't think we've had a single buyer hesistate to let us hold onto the bull until that is done since most guys won't be turning their bull out until sometime in May at the earliest.

Latest posts