Eared steers

Help Support CattleToday:

I was replying to your comment that I put in bold text, sorry. I was curious about the comment about having your check mailed.
Barns have a bad habit of brother-in-lawin you if they know you're not going to be there to see your animals sale. You really see it in the fall, when there are large numbers. I always took animals to be sold in the evening before the sale. You get a better sale number, down side they stand there bawling and pissing and loosing weight. THE rub is when they let large producers roll in a couple of hours before sale and jump ahead of you.
If youve never seen it you're lucky. You might have seen it but didn't notice it. You're sitting there with a low number like 150 for 4 to 5 weight calves and suddenly a 950 number rolls in and calves for the next 50 or 60 animals are this larger number. It happens way too often to be an accident, the excuse used to explain it is they were "clearing space".

If they think you're there to see your calves sold, you're less likely to have this happen. They really don't won't someone walking in to the office and saying " PO all my animals". This information was relayed to me me by a large barn operator over beers during a fishing trip. You will still get your check and it will get to you just as fast as checks that were for " mail check" sellers.

Aldaco, since you are in the Dayton area, your cows need to be Brahman influenced to be environmentally adapted. A Brahman bull on those type cows puts too much Brahman blood in the calf. The ideal calf for southeast Texas should be 1/4 Brahman blood calf.
That's the plan, we're gonna be switching bulls soon. The cows already have enough Brahman in them to thrive in our area, we just need a good bull, we're still deciding either a Charolais or an angus bull.

That's the plan, we're gonna be switching bulls soon. The cows already have enough Brahman in them to thrive in our area, we just need a good bull, we're still deciding either a Charolais or an angus bull.
You might wish to look at Limousine. It cleans up the extra skin and ears better than any breed other than a fullblood Chiniana

You might wish to look at Limousine. It cleans up the extra skin and ears better than any breed other than a fullblood Chiniana
You made the hair stand up on the back of my kneck. We tried a Limousin bull one time across Brahmans X cows and it was a train wreck. It was like breeding with whitetail deer. I watched them clear 6' pens and barely clip their back legs on the top board. They were the most athletic cows I have ever seen by far.

And the verdict is in… drumroll… like @Brute 23 had mentioned the black steers sold best. The 3/4 Brahman steer (#437) brought the least. The rest were as expected.

Total average weight: 529 lbs
Price per pound: $173.57
Per head: $918.49

Next steps for our small operation:
-tighten up the calving window to have more uniform weights.
- get a a different bull to decrease the Brahman influence.

50378F3F-2FE7-4819-BF9F-C95658339617.jpeg

Better than i expected!
Ive been working on calving window as well. Was pretty easy at one place. Just pulled the bull when they started calving and didn't put him back until I wanted em bred.
That first year nearly all were within 45 days!

Im still a bit spread here at home. Hoping a few move up a month or so. It's more difficult here because I don't want to lose a season.

I was much easier at the 2nd place because some were early calvers for that season. It's the late calvers that'll get ya! And they ain't necessarily late, as such. They just fell that way as I bought them/acquired them..

And the verdict is in… drumroll… like @Brute 23 had mentioned the black steers sold best. The 3/4 Brahman steer (#437) brought the least. The rest were as expected.

View attachment 27669
What did I win for guessing right with $1.74? 😂

About what everyone was guessing. A lot more than eared cattle bring here. If they were "as expected" I hope that means you are happy. But almost a dollar short of what I saw same sized steers bring today.

View attachment 27669
Damn, we's all pretty close.

You made the hair stand up on the back of my kneck. We tried a Limousin bull one time across Brahmans X cows and it was a train wreck. It was like breeding with whitetail deer. I watched them clear 6' pens and barely clip their back legs on the top board. They were the most athletic cows I have ever seen by far.
There was some disposition problems with some bloodlines of Limi's. Use of the disposition rod can steer you around that problem. Also he seems to be selling the offspring, and don't forget Brahman cattle don't like being penned

There was some disposition problems with some bloodlines of Limi's. Use of the disposition rod can steer you around that problem. Also he seems to be selling the offspring, and don't forget Brahman cattle don't like being penned
My uncle was raising the Limis. In fact I tagged the bull as a calf #23. He was super melow. We went back and bought him at breeding age. Our cows were a little flighty but not horrible. Rather than them jumping and hitting the pens they were jumping and clearing it. Same with barbed wire fence. They would decide they wanted some thing on the other side and they would clear it. I watched on walk up to the cattle guard, look at it, and then clear it.

The athleticism was amazing. Stuff other cattle would not try the would do, even with out pressure.

My uncle was raising the Limis. In fact I tagged the bull as a calf #23. He was super melow. We went back and bought him at breeding age. Our cows were a little flighty but not horrible. Rather than them jumping and hitting the pens they were jumping and clearing it. Same with barbed wire fence. They would decide they wanted some thing on the other side and they would clear it. I watched on walk up to the cattle guard, look at it, and then clear it.

The athleticism was amazing. Stuff other cattle would not try the would do, even with out pressure.
Grandpa once had a black limi. Grandpa said they were trying to load him onto a cattle truck with some steers, and he cleared that 6ft alleyway like it was nothing. Said he found him the next day, 3 miles down the road with his original pasture of cows.

Years ago, there was an outfit that had Brahmousin cattle up the road. I never really got a good look at them, bout all you could see was a quick view of their rear ends and tails as they were storming away.
That said, we had a Limousin bull a
few years ago that was as calm as any bull we've ever had. Have also had some purchased Limousin feeders that were both ends of the spectrum too.

Last edited:

Well, on the bright side they weren't hard on the fences.

View attachment 27669
Who was it that guessed $1.74? @EasTex beat me by a penny...

Years ago, there was an outfit that had Brahmousin cattle up the road. I never really got a good look at them, bout all you could see was a quick view of their rear ends and tails as they were storming away.
That said, we had a Limousin bull a
few years ago that was as calm as any bull we've ever had. Have also had some purchased Limousin feeders that were both ends of the spectrum too.
Prettiest heifer I ever had came from O'Brian Limousine in SW Missouri when they were crossing with different breeds to show how limo crosses performed. She was a Brahmousin and she was AWESOME. Her first calf was one of my Belgian Blue experiments and he dressed out at an unbelievable number. I'd take as many like her as I could get...

Latest posts