Dysentary in Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Kay

Reaction score
Just wondering if calves can get dysentary? Have 22 calves.Most of the calves are 6-12 weeks old.Just a few have loose stools.They are all eating off Mom and don't seem sick.But we get a few cleared up and then we have some more will get it.Most have real runny stools and then solid at the end. No fever, We just give them Kao,probios and Neomycin and they clear up.But if anyone has any other suggestions it would be very helpful.

Kay":35exqmz1 said:
Just wondering if calves can get dysentary? Have 22 calves.Most of the calves are 6-12 weeks old.Just a few have loose stools.They are all eating off Mom and don't seem sick.But we get a few cleared up and then we have some more will get it.Most have real runny stools and then solid at the end. No fever, We just give them Kao,probios and Neomycin and they clear up.But if anyone has any other suggestions it would be very helpful.

Are the calves current on de-worming?
If calves are still nursing are their dams current on de-worming?
Are their areas relative clean (not soggy wet manure areas)?

Dysentery in Cattle: a/k/a Scours.

Might also be infected with coccidiosis... If so, treat with "Corid" added to water, per directions.

Change of feed/grass/hay type can also cause temporary runny stools. Cattle will also squirt runny stool when stressed, as in a chute or other cause.

Cattle are wormed,never have wormed calves before pre-weaning though.Has been very cold and raining.One day is in the 70's and the next day 30 and raining.Very wet and muddy,but the calves have their own shelter.Have been feeding calf starter with ingred. for coccidios. Calves were vacc. with calf-guard and mom's for E-coli.Calves don't seem sick,always eating and running around.Would'nt they be sick and running temp or dehydrated if it was coccidios?

Kay

Yes they can get dysentry. It is also contagious.

It does not truly sound like dysentry - but I am not a veterinarian - it is quite different from scours. Is there blood in the stool?

We ran through this a couple of years ago with some yearlings and moving them to fresh ground cleared the trouble up in a couple of days as per our veterinarian's suggestion.

There is no vaccination for this to my knowledge.

If this is a persistant problem I would suggest a sample of the stool be taken for examination for confirmation.

You might also try travelling around the Merck site - there may be some info for you.

I am willing to bet your mud has something to do with it and it will clear up when the mud does. It is my understanding that this problem is transmitted through ingestion of contaminated feed and water.

In other words if the "squirt" lands on hay or in water and another takes a bite / drink - they will catch it.

One quote I found on Merck states - The disease has a high morbidity but low mortality, and spontaneous recovery within a few days is typical.

Good luck

Bez>

Latest posts