Dying Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

sugarfl55

Reaction score
I hope someone can help us. We are new in the cattle business and have 32 head of cattle on a 72 acre farm. Every since November 2004 we have had a serious problem, We have lost 2 cows and a calf. They seem to just get down and can not get back up. They are very healthy looking and alert and live for about 3-4 days after getting down. They try to get up but they seem to have some type of hip trouble. We were told to worm for liver flukes which we have already done but at this rate will run out of cattle before the end of the year. If anyone has any advice and/or sugestions please feel free to do so. Thank you

Get your local GOOD large animal vet involved! Have one of the dead animals posted. But first and formost, get your vet involved

dun

Dun is correct. If one cow dies of some unknow source, I may not do anything. If two cows die - call good large VET immediately! No matter what the vet charges, it cannot be more than what ONE cow is worth. You may be dealing with a disease, poison, or any combination of things.

Had an article on the farm page Sunday about a dairy herd in N. Ill that lost a huge no. of cows for an unknown cause. Vets quarintined the herd and checked for everything from mad cow to hoof and mouth. They finaly after a couple of months figured out that it was botulism in there silage. They said it was almost unheard of but very deadly :shock: The herd was depopulated and the silage incinerated and they are trying to start over. Sometimes things hapen that confound owners and vets alike and are only figured out by persistance or luck!!! I hope you can find the root of your problem.
your friend
Mike

Thank you for gettnig back to me. Same thing happening here. Vet thought for sure it was liver flukes but nothing I have read on them says anything about cows going lame. Did more blood work today so hope will find out something soon.

Latest posts