dwarfism in cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

sjr725

Reaction score
I have a steer, out of a BWF cow by herf bull - if I didn't see where he came from I wouldn't believe it - he's solid black (really stands out at our place!) calved last Feb. and he's just stumpy, very short and just has a "dwarfish" appearance, can't really put my finger on what makes him look funny - and it doesn't much matter since he's going to the butcher tomorrow - but I'm just curious - he was a little small at weaning and that's why we kept him back with a few others for butcher - but now he's the same age as the others and about 6" shorter -he is really thick and wide and pretty long - I think carcass weight will be surprising but he just has a funky look to him? We've had his momma now about 6 years and she always puts a decent calf on the ground - and his sire is one of our older bulls? Just a quirk probably - maybe he's just a throwback to the "old style angus"? No offense! I tried to post a pic - but couldn't get it done??

Dwarfism is a recessive gene that must be carried by both parents to manifest itself - even then there is a 1 in 4 chance of it showing up, I believe. I'm not trying to put you off but, in case you haven't seen it, there is a current thread on the breeds board about this very thing.

Thanks, I looked back in my records and found that this was the first time this particular cow has been bred by this particular bull - won't do that again - we put her in with a different bull this year. Like I said, we've had the cow for a while - she was with a small lot of bwf heifers we bought from a neighbor and she's always given us a nice calf, so we won't hold this against her - we just won't breed her to the same bull again - the bull we've had for about 4 seasons and never had this happen before - so I have to think it's just a genetic quirk when these two got together?? This steer is really just odd looking - he has really long hair on his poll - like a forelock and practically no legs at all - kinda like a jack russel terrier! His body is good sized though - I'll let you all know what his carcass weighed and what it looked like just in case you're interested.

sjr725":2toc35as said:
I have a steer, out of a BWF cow by herf bull - if I didn't see where he came from I wouldn't believe it - he's solid black (really stands out at our place!) calved last Feb. and he's just stumpy, very short and just has a "dwarfish" appearance, can't really put my finger on what makes him look funny - and it doesn't much matter since he's going to the butcher tomorrow - but I'm just curious - he was a little small at weaning and that's why we kept him back with a few others for butcher - but now he's the same age as the others and about 6" shorter -he is really thick and wide and pretty long - I think carcass weight will be surprising but he just has a funky look to him? We've had his momma now about 6 years and she always puts a decent calf on the ground - and his sire is one of our older bulls? Just a quirk probably - maybe he's just a throwback to the "old style angus"? No offense! I tried to post a pic - but couldn't get it done??
doubt it probably from came from the herf in the moma .and sire

Latest posts