Durana clover, Bahia

Help Support CattleToday:

Chukie, I think you are correct in that the Patriot will be a bit taller than the Durana and produce more forage than it also. Patriot is from a cross of Durana and a virus resistent ladino clover.

I think the link below might be helpful. There is good information in it. Importantly it does address the issue of planting clover at the same time as a grass, or into a grass, and NOT using litter during the establishment period because it will stimulate the grass too much and therefore will shade the clover.

Also important is the time between applying an herbicide and planting the clover. For some the time is short, and for others up to a year such as with the use of Grazon P+D. As for the latter, I think there is now new literature that suggests replanting can be done much less than one year?

http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubs/PDF/B1251.pdf

the above link is from Georgia Forages at URL:
http://commodities.caes.uga.edu/fieldcrops/forages/

Billy

Chuckie and Billy

Thanks again for all the help/advice.
I am planning to plant oats only for now and will have it bailed and then in the spring work on killing the weeds and look at clover for next year in these fields. I am having 20+ acres cleared of timber this year and plan to plant clover there as soon as the bull dozer man gets it raked and cleaned up enough for me to disk it some. This should be good land for planting the clover and I hope it will help with erosion. I may add some winter rye to the clover to help also.

Thanks again

Mr Billy, the Patriot clover does sound like it would be best for hay. The Durana clover sounds like it would be best for grazing with another grass that could hold it's own. I am thinking about the Patriot too. I am going to read the site you posted in the morning. We just got out of the hay field and need to knock some dirt off before hitting the sack.
C Holland, I was told to check and see what kind of bedding that they used in the chicken houses. Some around here used a bedding that had a high count of pigweed. It was not from the chicken manure itself. If you are planting a crop that might be hard to use a herbicide on, it might help to find what the base was. Some of the chicken houses here use either wood shavings or rice hulls.

Chuckie, Peanut hulls is what they use in this area, I hear you still have some weeds mixed in with it too. Weeds are mixed in everything it seems. I guess that what keeps the Chemical Industries in business.

Seems the peanut hulls would have less seed, but I don't think anyone has used those around here. Hopefully the oats and clover will smother anything else by the time it has a chance to come up.

Chuckie/Billy

Do you think the Patriot would go good in an established Bahia field or would the Bahia be to thick to let it grow. I am going to start treating my Bahia field for weeds next spring and will start letting my cows graze it. I may do a test run on some of the bare areas left behind after the weeds are gone and see how it does.
The clover would definately help improve the quality of the pasture and help cut back on the nitrogen required.

From what I read and what Mr Billy has reported, and the extension man told, Patriot may be the best for a hay field. But I think in a pasture that is grazed, the Durana has more ability to withstand a lot of traffic, heat and other grasses. The studies showed that the Durana stayed in bermuda grass over several seasons, and still is growing strong. I am not sure how aggressive Bahia is, but I thought bermuda was about as aggressive as they come. I did not see a study on Patriot used in grazing pastures.

farmer rich":303ko805 said:
You should get to cut the oats before the clover really gets going. I sow ryegrass and white clover for silage and take 3 cuts per year on average. The clover begins to dominate towards the end of the season.
does ryegrass make good hay? i thought that the ryegrass died out after the first cutting but i am new at this. if it is a good hay what type of ryegrass?

Yes, but, why don't you ask your local county extension agent this question? You will get a better answer than any of on this board can provide since we do not know wher you are exactly!

You pay taxes for this very important service. USE IT!!!

Bill

Latest posts