Dun: Fleckveih and the red angus cross

Help Support CattleToday:

redangus

Reaction score
Have you tried any of this? I've heard good things about this cross. There seems to be a lot of red angus x cattle now days.

Most of the crosses have been done with blk Angus. That's part of the reason when we were looking for F1 Red Angus x continental we sttled on Gelbvieh. We had some folks near here that had high quality Gelbvieh and were using a Red Angus bull on them. We used a Fleck on one of only 3 remaining blk Angus cows this year. If all goes well, next year he'll be used in 5-6 of the Red Angus

dun

What is your opinion of the Fleck cattle? Is it a good cross w/ reds in a commercial herd? I've heard feed lot cattlemen tell me that the simmetals are just looking for a place to die? How hardy are they?

No offense to any simmie people. ;-)

This is my first experience with flecks. Simmenthals are as tough a breed as any other. They were my first choice for F1s with the Red Angus, but the only red or traditional Simmenthals in this area I would crap on the best part of. Everybody is black crazy. I know of one guy that's using a Red Angus bull on some Simmenthals, but they're black Simmenthals. There are a couple of breeds that in my opinion cross well with just about everything, Angus blk and Red, old style Shorthorns, Simmenthal and Gelbvieh, Herefords work with most breeds. Of course, the majority of the other breeds I either haven't worked with or don't like for one reason or another.
For a touch of ear I like Gerts on not indicus cows. Seems like in the desert they just worked out better then straight Brahman or Brangus. But that's me and my opinions/experience

dun

i think fleckvieh would be a good cross.

last year i bred one herford cow to fleck b4 she went to pasture
she had a beutifull heifercalf.

that heifer out did alll the rest of the calves from the other cows that was bred by a shorthorn bull in the pasture.

shes a solid heifer
i'm impressed with her

this year i bred the cows to fleck b4 they went to pasture then they went in with a herford bull.
so we will se how they doo
also bred the blk angus heifers (out of those herfords) to fleckvieh.
interested to see how that will turn out!!

the expierience we had with the flecks ....
they are hearty
quiet
good growth with less quality.

we are also breeding our holstein cows to the milking line of fleckvieh.
they origenate from germany.

http://www.fleckvieh.de
http://www.fleckvieh.de/Englisch/E_0_0.htm to get the english version.

we use the top bulls from them from the milking side for our dairy.

used some exodus and zimbo for beef (both polled)
also bred some of the beef to a higher milk bull just for expiermenting.

al

Latest posts