Dumba$$ cows.....

Help Support CattleToday:

eric

Reaction score
O K, first of all, I know all about a cows stomach being like 10 times as big as their brain, so maybe that explains somethings. But, yesterday morning, I went outside, saw the cows, they all came up to me expecting to be fed, (that is all but one), but I was busy with yardwork so didnt even think about feeding them. I saw the one cow out by herself, by the trees, about 400-500 yards away, but didnt think much about it. Finshed yard work a couple hrs later, and then my son comes home with his buddy and asks if they can feed the cows, so I tell them to go ahead. Again, all the cows/calves but this one, in the trees, come up for cubes. Still didnt think too much about it, as she is kind of a loner. We went and jumped in the pool to cool off, my wife comes out and asks me whats up with the cow off by herself, since shes been by herself all morning. Said I 'm not sure, I'll go check her in a few minutes, not really worried because she was standing up and appeared to be o k . So my curiosity finally got the best of me and started becoming concerned, so I jumped on the 4 wheeler to check her out, and she has her head stuck between two trees and cant get it out! These were 2 trees which had grown together, about 12 inches apart. Her head was loose in there, but she kept trying to pull it straight out instead of raising it up about 10 inches and then pulling her head out. As I got closer to her, she started thrashing about wildly, trying to wrap herself around this tree. I tried to help push her head up, but she was just thrashing about so I decided to let her calm down some before getting any closer. About the time I decided to go get the chainsaw or the tractor and try to spread the trees, she managed to free herself.

She appears to be fine, after drinking alot of water, and is back hanging with the herd again, but I was wondering if this is a fairly common situation for cows or if I just have a dumba$$ cow? Anyone else ever had this happen?

I think this has been talked about before - cows will be cows, they are not the smartest in these aspects, usually calves though. I think they get curious and stick their heads places that is not quite so easy to get them back through. I've had a couple get stuck places you wouldn't imagine. I would think that horned cattle would get stuck more often then polled cattle? Could someone that runs horned cattle chime in on this one, I'm curious.

Did you read the story I told about the cow I had unside down in the watering trough? :lol:

flaboy":184ou51q said:
Did you read the story I told about the cow I had unside down in the watering trough? :lol:

Nah, must have missed that one, been busy here at work lately. How'd she end up in the water tank ?

I kinda expected my bull to get stuck in the trees if anyone would, cause it seems he uses anything and everything for a scratching post. He'll use the edges of the trailers, fence posts, corral panels, and every tree on my place has been used by him for a scratch post. Its almost like he's a deer and is marking his scent everywhere he goes.

you hear of cows like that.but very rarely do you see 1 humh up like your cow.but it does happen.ive had to cut calves heads outta of wire panels. using the hacksaw to get emm lose.had 400lb heifer stick head under a pipe fence in corral, her head was wedged.i had to move dirt.then had to dragg her round leval.i finally got her head shoved back under the fence. then got her up on her feet.dang hammerhead.scott

Any cattle, any breed can get in a percarious situation. That's what will do...

Word of Wisdom: If a person ever sees an animal in one place, hasn't moved, especially if off by themselves for an hour or more (less time if a calf), then one should suspect something serious is wrong. Drop what you are doing and go check cattle out. Absentee owners (with no ranch hands to watch over cattle) periodically come back on the weekend (or next month...) and find one or more cattle dead.

when i was in college i had a calf get stuck in a forked tree like that and die. i've also rescued one stuck in a tree like that before too. i had to pull up on his head so much that he he stood up on his hind legs a little to get him out. never thought about cutting the tree down, wouldnt it just freak out and break its neck or something? or have a conniption and die on the spot? lol. Also had a heifer get casted in a mineral trough, that was an ordeal. no telling how long she'd been there. cows tend to give up easily in situations like that.

They get stuck in all sorts of places..even in things that they are supposed to be familiar with. Had a yearling red angus steer get stuck in a round bail feeder, enough room so that he climbed in and when he backed out he lifted the feeder over the bail and himself...he and the feeder flipped over and he got out...thought that he would break his neck...only bent the feeder....DMc

We had a bull push his head through panels on a galvanized panel gate and then he decided he couldn't get it back out. Luckily, he just stood still while we unbolted one of the panels to get him out. I could just see him wearing that necklace as he ran across the field!

Came home one day to a heifer turned upside down in the feed bunk. I've had calves stuck in the bale feeder and in the panels.
Also had a steer get his head stuck in one of those net hay bags for horses, luckily he was halfway halterbroke so he didn't fight it -- but he wasn't real happy when I took pictures instead of immediately getting him loose.

0d900144.jpg

eric":10573r43 said:
flaboy":10573r43 said:

eric":10573r43 said:
Nah, must have missed that one, been busy here at work lately. How'd she end up in the water tank ?
It was in another thread. Anyway, I have a cow I named Butthead because she liked to go around butting all the other cows. One day while standing outside the cow pen some had come up for water. My brindle cow was over taking a drink and the next thing I knew Butthead blasted her in the side and knocked her upside down into the watering trough. Well I am high dollar so I use old cast iron bath tubs discarded here and there. Well she is thrashing around upside down, four legs in the air. I'm standing there dumbfounded wondering how the devil I will get her out. Quick thinking in an effort to get her out before she hurt herself I run get the tractor, hook up the chain to her rear leg and drug her out. The chain had a slip hook so the chain just fell off when she stood up. She got up and walked off like nothing ever happened. Fours months later she had another nice bull calf. I took Butthead and put her down with the far herd of the not so friendly critters.

Lesson - Cow pulling 101: If you ever have to put a chain on a live cow, horse, large pig, large heiferett :lol: , make sure you use a chain with a slip hook on it so it will loosen up and release. Nothing worse than having an angry cow chained by one foot and you standing there wondering how your going to get it off now that you rescued her.

2 for the price of 1--came home to find bull and cow sharing a hay ring necklacefreed from hay and frolicking in the pasture. She was about choked down, but he was giving it H*E*double hockey sticks to get her to dance along with him. Never have I talked so soothing to a couple of bovines then while sawing away next to the bulls curious yet wild eyes.

Latest posts