Dumb and dead

Help Support CattleToday:

Must be nice to be perfect Alan. Yeah you're on a high horse.yeah I fenced it off. I heard they can for fr weeks without water.
No you moron. A full on lake is what they drink out of. You really think I would fence off their only water.

Alan":6k3hxi9o said:
200 acres is not a huge range land operation were folks truly may not see their cattle for long periods of time.
200 can be a huge piece of land depending on the stuff that's growing there. One of the 80 acre sections at the other farm is so dense and brushy that if you step off a cow trail to take a leak you may not find the cow trail again becuase you cant see 5 feet in any direction. I've learned to never step off a trail!

hooknline":ocon0lgu said:
Must be nice to be perfect Alan. Yeah you're on a high horse.yeah I fenced it off. I heard they can for fr weeks without water.
No you moron. A full on lake is what they drink out of. You really think I would fence off their only water.
Fence it off too! Didn't you know them eared cattle store water in their hump? :lol:

Alan":22inadpa said:
Yes 200 acres is a small parcel especially with a 4 wheeler.
You've never seen Florida "bush", have you? You aren't getting around it on a 4 wheeler, or anything else for that matter.
I'm fairly new here, but I don't understand the animosity coming from a few of you. For all anyone knows the cow died from a heart attack after no more than a couple hours. Crap happens when you own livestock, and for most of us they aren't pets that need pampering. I pamper my kids and my dogs, but I expect my cows to make it without me checking them every couple hours.

Magis why on earth would you raise livestock in a environment so hostile it very possibly will cause the animals mortality from nothing more than it's surroundings.

Tell you what Alan. Fly out here an ill take you to the property. I won't tell you how many are there but if you find them all in 2 hours, ill pay for your ticket and issue a very public apology.

whatisgmo":1v6ecfsr said:
Magis why on earth would you raise livestock in a environment so hostile it very possibly will cause the animals mortality from nothing more than it's surroundings.

I ask the same thing when all the people up north talk about what they go thru with the snow and ice.... but they do it all the time. :)

I'm so far from perfect, just ask my wife. I just decided to stick to my opinion. I'm sure enviorment is an issue, as for me I think I've said enough to have voiced my opinion.

whatisgmo":26gv0nir said:
All environments have their problems. If livestock were only raised where mother nature couldn't kill them, there would be no livestock.

Caustic Burno":1w853xtg said:
Isomade":1w853xtg said:
I have always noticed the difference with which the cattle business is viewed by those with less than a hundred head and don't plan to get any bigger and those who have more and run it as a business. There is a world of difference in the philosophy of the 20 head guy and the one who does it for a living. The small guy can't understand the thought process of the guy who does it for a living, and the guy who does it for a living vaguely remembers when he thought like the 20 head guy but realizes he will never understand unless he gets big enough to do it for a living.

Are you saying that people that run under a 100 head don't run it as a business?
I can flat out tell your wrong there on that one. Actually in Texas it is the small operator that keeps it a viable business as they make up over 90% of the cattle held in the state. I don't own any Welfare Cattle never have and never will.
Now I was never a big time Cowman like yourself most I ever ran was 37 so I guess I can move over in the dumb ass class.
Ole Belle doesn't make money here she' leaving on the next trailer out of here. I am probably tougher on what get's charged against the cow than most. I have had year's I have made 50 buck's a head to over 200. Do I have to run cattle to eat NO! You can bet your last red cent the day I take out of my saving's account to support a cow they will be leaving on the next truck out of here.
Edit. That has alway's been one of the major problem's we have had is the disdain for each other as an industry.
When I was selling bull's the little guy's money was just as good to me as the big guy's.

We are playing Spades, you keep saying "go fish". Not what I was saying at all. Some of the comments on the thread just reminded me of the fact that the two think very different. There is a reason why most of the career cattlemen don't post much on here. The masses won't get it. And you know I'm no big time cattleman, nor do I need them to make my living.

There is a reason why most of the career cattlemen don't post much on here.

A great observation, I don't know how many folks on CT realize that. Over the years there has been a few who posted a few times, but they don't last very long.

hillsdown":ml5363hx said:
It depends on the adjuster Jo, if he sees it as "entrapment" they may just pay out . But Hartford is usually a tough sob when it comes to paying out iffy claims . I have a neighbor that lost 20 head last year due to falling through the ice , they refused to pay out because the owners should have fenced off "the only water source for the cattle" due to the intermittent unseasonable warm weather . The only mortality insurance I have ever carried were on the flush cows , and that was through cooperators. Much cheaper than Hartford for the same policy , and it pretty much covered your animals for any kind of death except sickness . Coop was around 55 a year per head and Hartford wanted around 375 for the same allotted amount .

I agree. What the adjuster puts down on the cause of death is going to make or break the claim. Insurance companies are in it to make money and since this policy isn't a scheduled policy how things are presented to the adjuster will make a huge difference. I think Hook would be in a better position if the fence was put up before the accident (it was wasn't it? ;-) ) or if the cow is placed under a tree with a huge scar on it and its hooves were laying 20 feet from the carcass.

I'm not busting chops just trying to be realistic and the reality is these companies are in business to make money based on certain risk factors. Had I had the same insurance policy with the lightning then Hartford would still be in the black since this would have been the only legitimate claim I could have made. It would have been nice to receive a check for this but I'd still be in the hole since a lightning strike on cattle is pretty darn rare and only happens to the lucky people.

Another thing I base my feeling on is what happened to a friend of mine just a few years ago. He has a good many cows and has a large liability policy with a big company. His cows got on the highway one night and caused a big mess and he was sued. Insurance adjuster disqualified the claim because the sherriff's department had a ledger that showed in the weeks prior to the accident there had been numerous calls about cows on the highway and it was their opinion he did not exercise due dilligence in fixing the problem prior to the incident. Needless to say, he wasn't a happy camper.

Like I say, I am not busting chops here I just find this interesting and am curious how they are going to handle this. I spoke to my insurance guy, who is also a cattleman, and he doesn't think it will pay either but he is going to talk to his aduster and get his opinion.

heath":b1r7cizx said:
angie":b1r7cizx said:
A lot of good and fascinating stuff.
Exactly what part are you opposed to?
At this point in the thread it is blatantly obvious that everyone here has come to argue, not learn. You are not even making the effort to provide a well thought out argument, but are throwing rocks from the sidelines. I have better things to do with my time.

hooknline":3nzw6a79 said:
Tell you what Alan. Fly out here an ill take you to the property. I won't tell you how many are there but if you find them all in 2 hours, ill pay for your ticket and issue a very public apology.

This is not a lecture Hook but a some cubes go a long way. On 200ac with some cube broke cattle you should be able to park on the property... hit the horn a few times... and have the cattle gathered up. Like you said, with lots of brush its almost a waist of time to actually go looking for them.

We moved some cattle in to a pasture thats about 200ac a month or so ago. Lots of brush, a creek, sloughs, ect. I went to check on them a couple days later. Couldn't find a couple so I went cruising. Ended up with wire around my driveshaft, a flat, ect. Its just not worth it some times.

This really doesn't have any thing to do with this thread specifically. Its just one of the things that made my life a lot easier.

I cant do that jo That wouldn't be honest.
That's already bein done brute. They're about half way broke now. Only had them for 6 weeks or so

Isomade":2t5srtsl said:
Caustic Burno":2t5srtsl said:
Isomade":2t5srtsl said:
I have always noticed the difference with which the cattle business is viewed by those with less than a hundred head and don't plan to get any bigger and those who have more and run it as a business. There is a world of difference in the philosophy of the 20 head guy and the one who does it for a living. The small guy can't understand the thought process of the guy who does it for a living, and the guy who does it for a living vaguely remembers when he thought like the 20 head guy but realizes he will never understand unless he gets big enough to do it for a living.

Are you saying that people that run under a 100 head don't run it as a business?
I can flat out tell your wrong there on that one. Actually in Texas it is the small operator that keeps it a viable business as they make up over 90% of the cattle held in the state. I don't own any Welfare Cattle never have and never will.
Now I was never a big time Cowman like yourself most I ever ran was 37 so I guess I can move over in the dumb ass class.
Ole Belle doesn't make money here she' leaving on the next trailer out of here. I am probably tougher on what get's charged against the cow than most. I have had year's I have made 50 buck's a head to over 200. Do I have to run cattle to eat NO! You can bet your last red cent the day I take out of my saving's account to support a cow they will be leaving on the next truck out of here.
Edit. That has alway's been one of the major problem's we have had is the disdain for each other as an industry.
When I was selling bull's the little guy's money was just as good to me as the big guy's.

We are playing Spades, you keep saying "go fish". Not what I was saying at all. Some of the comments on the thread just reminded me of the fact that the two think very different. There is a reason why most of the career cattlemen don't post much on here. The masses won't get it. And you know I'm no big time cattleman, nor do I need them to make my living.

You made my point and I can play the devil's addvocate quite well. The disdain is alive and well.
Too many of the larger producer's look down on the smaller ones. The smaller one's have envy and jealousy.
Look at this board or go sit through the sale at any local barn.
We are all in this together until we figure that out we will alway's be taking the scrap's.
Hook lost a cow and has got the crap beat out of him. Hindsight is 20/20 looking back I am 100% sure Hook is going why didn't I see that mud hole as a hazard.
If you haven't lost a cow you don't own any.

hooknline":vsbyitpb said:
I cant do that jo That wouldn't be honest.

Good for you. Too many people try to abuse the system. Personally, I wouldn't file the claim because you are only going to increase your loss. Just chock it up as a cost of education and be done with it.

Latest posts