Dry nose on a calf

Help Support CattleToday:

pd

Reaction score
If a young calf has a dry nose - does that suggest that it is dehydrated? Or is a dry nose normal?

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":15vrbbow said:
Could be dehydration,and/or could be running a temperature.

Or it could be just a dry nose.
The key is behaviour. Is he getting enough to eat? Scours? Listless? Or does he appear to eat the appropriate amount and time is he active, bright eyed?

dun

The calf seems fine in all other respects. He had a bit of looseness on his first day, which is the reason I have been watching him closely, but now at 3 days old he seems normal, drinking from his mum - but with a dry nose!

I'ld keep an eye on him but just figure he has a dry nose

dun

I have given him some electrolytes just in case, as I figured it would not hurt.

Thanks for your advice :)

Watch when it nurses, sometimes their nose will look dry, but when they nurse their nose will start to Brad up with moisture on it. If it doesn't, in my experience they're either sick or getting that way, generally a fever.

Watch when it nurses, sometimes their nose will look dry, but when they nurse their nose will start to Brad up with moisture on it. If it doesn't, in my experience they're either sick or getting that way, generally a fever.
The OP was from 2004. I'd say the issue is resolved by now 😆

Latest posts