Drought stunted fescue

Help Support CattleToday:

DoubleK

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen fescue that boots out and the stem only gets about 10 inches high?

I have heard that when fescue "boots", the foliage goes dormant to sustain the stem and seed production.

My question is, does that mean that whatever foliage is there now is all that we will see until after seed ripens?

Dub

Unless you get rid of the seed now that's about all the growth you'll see until fall.

dun

Fescue is not horrible here but is starting to seed out and at only a foot tall. I'm thinking it came from both the dry winter and then the record highs we had a few weeks ago.

I'm going to go ahead and cut hay in the next week or two and then fertilize and pray the rains continue and we may get another cutting or even two.

On the positive side (got to have one of those) the rotational grazing has my pastures going strong. Hay fields look like crap but the pastures look good and are growing well.

J

teletigger":3mri5og3 said:
Don't cut it too short......6 inches at most.....with enough rain and goodies, it will come back and surprise you.
regards

Around here this year if you cut just above the leaf it would still be less then 6 inches.

dun

DoubleK, how is your fescue looking now? Mine has shot up these last 2 weeks and it looks like we are getting some great leaf growth. Bet my stems went from just over a foot or so to close to 3 feet just since these rains began.

Just waiting now for some sun and a dry forecast as I'm ready to cut within the next week or so. Not saying a lot but it should be at least double what I got last year but I bet still less than I got 2 years ago.

Cool and wet continues we may even get a second cutting (I can dream can't I)!

J

Hello J

Yes, you are absolutely correct. Things are definately looking up here in SW MO. I got another 1 1/2 inches this morning.

My Father in law has been telling me just to "cool my jets" things were going to grow and I guess I am just to impatient.

I do think I will cut about 60 acres starting tomorrow and see if I can't get a 2nd cutting. I know it will be lighter than normal and with fuel so high, I wonder if I'm doing the right thing.

Oh well, my theory is to get as much as I can, as early as I can.

Good luck up there

Dub

Latest posts