Drill question for overseeding

Help Support CattleToday:

kentuckyguy

Reaction score
I would like to start overseeding some pasture in the fall. Also would like an options for maybe drilling some annual forages such as ryegrass. Along with clover in the spring.

I can not justify the cost of a large no till drill drill but was considering this single coulter grain drill with small seed box.

Anyone tell me if this will work? I'm sure I would have to wait for a good rain before I used it.

Yes it will work well with Rye grass, wheat or oats but only when the conditions are right. By that I mean the soil is somewhat soft and you have rain in the forecast. I have a drill very similar without the small seed box's so I can't help much on clover but can't see where that would be much difference. I drag a cultipacker behind mine and that really helps a lot to get the seed in soil contact. .

Works great for most grasses especially with a little ground moisture. A lot of people plant that stuff to deep anyway. Hardest part to using one of those is being able to tell where you have been. Pulling a cultipacker or drag in tandem will help with that and aid germination.

I've got a customer that plants around 60 acres of ryegrass/clover for hay every fall with a drill like that. Exactly what others have already said. The ground needs to be a little soft and it will work great.

I have used a similar seeder for oats and alfalfa/grasses. if you want to over seed your pasture without any tilling before seed application, the seeder will not have enough pressure on the disc to plant seeds below the surface of the ground. the mulcher will help press the seed to the ground but you will not have a stand as good as a little tillage before seeding. Maybe check to see if you can rent a no-till or hire someone to seed. other option is to seed well above recommended seeding rate.

I have used a similar seeder for oats and alfalfa/grasses. if you want to over seed your pasture without any tilling before seed application, the seeder will not have enough pressure on the disc to plant seeds below the surface of the ground. the mulcher will help press the seed to the ground but you will not have a stand as good as a little tillage before seeding. Maybe check to see if you can rent a no-till or hire someone to seed. other option is to seed well above recommended seeding rate.
I know these drill are not heavy but with a little weight added, pressure on the hydraulic cylinder, and moist ground I would figure getting seed 3/8" deep would be doable.

Yo
I would like to start overseeding some pasture in the fall. Also would like an options for maybe drilling some annual forages such as ryegrass. Along with clover in the spring.

I can not justify the cost of a large no till drill drill but was considering this single coulter grain drill with small seed box.

Anyone tell me if this will work? I'm sure I would have to wait for a good rain before I used it.

You can adjust the down pressure springs on each drop and it will do a good job on your pasture. The seeds you referenced do not need to be very deep. I have the same drill and I have good results with it. Most no-till drills will plant the rye grass and clover to deep.

I think you'd be better off to frost seed your clover in the end of February. Haven't spread mine yet, shooting for Monday morning.

I did mine about a month ago. Today we had very unusual flooding and I hope all that seed is not now washed away.
I plan to try and spread some next week. It's a balancing act here due to having steeper ground.
Rain like we have had here the last week would be sure to wash off a lot of seed.

I did mine about a month ago. Today we had very unusual flooding and I hope all that seed is not now washed away.
Surely your seed has had the chance to work its way in some in the last month. I think you'll be alright.

I've always been told to seed clover in the dark of the moon in February. I'll make it by the skin of my teeth if I can get it on Monday.

Surely your seed has had the chance to work its way in some in the last month. I think you'll be alright.

I've always been told to seed clover in the dark of the moon in February. I'll make it by the skin of my teeth if I can get it on Monday.
I actually had a lot of white clover coming up yesterday when I walked a few pastures. Lots of tiny weeds also. In the next 2-3 weeks they will get sprayed.

Does the clover survive the spraying this early?
Good question. My thought is if I kill the weeds more clover will come in the bare spots. I'm only seeing weeds in a few areas so I will sacrifice it. I will let you know.
But I figure this early I will kill some clover at least. But i want the buttercup gone. I should have sprayed around Thanksgiving but didn't get it done. Most of the clovers would have been dormant then.

Good question. My thought is if I kill the weeds more clover will come in the bare spots. I'm only seeing weeds in a few areas so I will sacrifice it. I will let you know.
But I figure this early I will kill some clover at least. But i want the buttercup gone. I should have sprayed around Thanksgiving but didn't get it done. Most of the clovers would have been dormant then.
Yep be interested to know results. I took your advice and sprayed around thanksgiving for thistles, had one field that was awful. I think it worked pretty well for the thistles, still waiting to see if the clover is going to come back. Should know in the next couple weeks.

Do you use a flashlight or the tractor lights to see what you are doing. Here if you do not get the seed of both out by the middle of September you will not get anything until the next fall. Just joking about the lights. Also was told to plant any thing that roots under ground in the dark of the moon.

Latest posts