Drench for baby calves - Home remedy style

Help Support CattleToday:

jorgen

Reaction score
We had this formula for a drench that could be made from foods on the pantry shelf. ( :( but have lost it ).
The drench was made with the base of beef broth and a couple of other things. It is good for baby calves and younger calves that seem to be dehydrated.

Does any one have a recipe for us? Thanks

This is from a paper I saved from 1992. I have never used this recipe.
Two Colorado State University vets have developed a treatment for calf scours that uses ingredients found in most kitchens. The formula supplies all the immediate nutrient and electrollyte needs of the diarrheic calf. The veteranarians say the following formula is palatable and most calves nurse it from a bottle.
1 3/4 oz (pkg) fruit pectin
1 tsp lite salt
2 tsp baking soda
10 1/2 oz (1 can) beef consomme, warm water to make 2 quarts
The vets recommend feeding an 80 pound or heavier calf two quarts of the formula two or three times a day, and say feedings should continue for 24 hours. After 24 hours , and at least one hour after the last formula feeding, start feeding milk replacer,milk or acidophilus milk at a volume of not more than 2.5 percent of body weight per feeding. Administer morning, noon, and night for 3 or 4 days.Small quanities of milk given frequently seem to allow the digestive system to handle the resumption of milk feeding without recurrence of diarrhea, and a progrom of antibiotic also can be helpful. the researchers say. What gives this formula its punch is the fruit pectin, which contains 70 to 75 % glucose, compared to often used corn syrup, which is less than 23 % glucose, or table sugar, which is less than 5% glucose. The vets say supplementing calves with a bottle get this glucose into the blood more quickly than supplying qlucose to the calves via a stomach tube. Supplying glucose by the tube apparently results in a pooling of the solution in a nonfunctional rumen, and delayes its transit to the abomasum.

Like I said, this is from a 1992 paper put out by the sale barn.

cowvet":1v060oha said:
Is it not illegal to feed beef products back to cattle in the USA ???? !!!!

It is my understanding that it is illegal to feed beef prducts back to cattle in the USA.

Alice

Why would you even want to mess around with some 100 year old quack remedy that probably originated in the U.K. where B.S.E. took off because those idiots found that feeding dead animal protein was cheaper than other feed and the cattle had higher weight gains.YUCK!!!Feeding anything of the ruminent family to other ruminents is not accepted in any country especially if they want to export..So if some people are still using this crap on calves who at that age are most susceptible to contracting B.S.E. what difference does it make to what we as responsible producers do?I am sorry but this whole question is P**ing me off :mad: Look people stop using so called home remedies and try keeping up with new medicine.Do you really think this is any cheaper or better than the new alternatives available that are approved.Really??? and people like O.T say Alberta has a problem with their feed program! Look in your own back yard and the stupid questions that are being asked.Worse yet the stupid people that are still living in the 1900's and using crap that has no business being put into cows. Just because it's all natural doesn't mean it's good for you.Opium is natural so should we all smoke it? Same as marijuana should we feed that to cows too? :lol: :lol: O.K. I am done venting but come on pull your heads out of your butts you might see the light.

hillsdown":3q2dlekv said:
Why would you even want to mess around with some 100 year old quack remedy that probably originated in the U.K. where B.S.E. took off because those idiots found that feeding dead animal protein was cheaper than other feed and the cattle had higher weight gains.

It isn't a 'quack' remedy - it happens to work very well! :roll: We saved many, many scouring calves with it back in the days before electrolytes were available. Now, having said that (and before you take my head off), I personally would not use it because I just don't see the point with the advent of electrolytes. Whether bouillon or consomme is on the banned feed list, I don't know - tried to do a search and came up with nothing.

The two Colorado State veternarians were Dr R W Phillips and Dr L D Lewis.

Fred":1a1uf1wz said:

Fred, unless I'm mistaken, that paper was published prior to the feed ban.

msscamp":1uqsdvc2 said:
Fred":1uqsdvc2 said:

I'm sure it was, just trying to point out it is not a 100 year old quack remedy.

Fred":3hncxc6e said:
msscamp":3hncxc6e said:
Fred":3hncxc6e said:

I'm sure it was, just trying to point out it is not a 100 year old quack remedy.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. :oops:

In actuality bullion/consomme probably does not contain any beef products in it or just trace amounts .Just like most dog foods say all meat but the first ingredient is corn.<I do know it has worked in the past>;but with all the new treatments out there and they really are not that expensive why encourage the "newbees" or worse yet <the ones who have saved enough to finally buy a couple of acres in the country and want to dabble in the cow business> to even try this stuff,especially if in the long run we don't know the effects it has on our young stock.Also I would never come back and be nasty to you and your comments that is what this forum is about sharing ideas.

I sure wish they had a spell check on this program sometimes you start to type and your fingers can't keep up with your mind :p :lol:

hillsdown":1b3iy0dv said:
In actuality bullion/consomme probably does not contain any beef products in it or just trace amounts .Just like most dog foods say all meat but the first ingredient is corn.<I do know it has worked in the past>;but with all the new treatments out there and they really are not that expensive why encourage the "newbees" or worse yet <the ones who have saved enough to finally buy a couple of acres in the country and want to dabble in the cow business> to even try this stuff,especially if in the long run we don't know the effects it has on our young stock.

I agree, and that is why we don't use it anymore.

Also I would never come back and be nasty to you and your comments that is what this forum is about sharing ideas.

Thank you, I appreciate that and agree. I just wasn't sure, you seemed to be pretty fired up - hence the comment.

I sure wish they had a spell check on this program sometimes you start to type and your fingers can't keep up with your mind :p :lol:

I hear ya! :lol: :lol:

About 9 years ago i had a calf get so bad with scours i was afraid i was going to lose her, convential meds were not working, and she was getting worse, to the point of almost not being able to stand!
I got that same basic "QUACK" remedy from the U.of NE website and used it on the calf, i began to see improvement very quickly. Not to say it was that recipie in its entirety that done the job but today the lil hiefer is one of my better producers.
Luckily i have never had that kind of problem since but i am definatly going to do some investigating regarding the beef broth issue regarding legality, Just in case :D
Some of the "Quack" cures passed down from generation to generation are far more productive than a lot of medical dr.s reccomendations, they just do not have AMA and the pharmacutical companies backing because they recieve no money from the use of them

cowboyup216":17bz8tlq said:
Speaking of feeding marijuana to cows I heard on a radio show the other day that scientist at some college out west for the life of me I cannot remember which one have been feeding marijuana to lactating cattle. According to their study it increases milk production in both beef and dairy cattle. Whether this is true or not (I dont believe it) remains to be seen. Has anyone heard this?

Yes - but not the type of marijuana you are thinking of. It has no THC and is also grown as a cash crop in certain parts of Canada and the United States.

Bez>

From the Nebraska Department of Agriculture:

Non Prohibited or Exempted Materials
[means you CAN feed these things to cattle]

These products, regardless of what species they originated from, are exempt or considered non prohibited:

- Blood and Blood Products

- Milk Products [milk and milk proteins]

- Inspected meat products, such as plate waste, which have been cooked and offered for human food and further heat processed for animal feed

- Gelatin

The following non-ruminant protein products are also exempt or considered non prohibited:

- Pure Porcine[pork]Protein

- Pure Equine[horse]Protein

- Poultry

- Marine[fish]

- Vegetable

The following are also exempt or considered non prohibited because they are not protein or tissue, regardless of what species they originated from:

- Grease

- Fat

- Amino Acids

- Tallow

- Oil

- Dicalcium phosphate

Don't knock those home recipes.
When it's 10:00 at night, the stores are closed, and you realize you are out of something, those home remedies can be the difference between a live critter in the morning and a dead one.

Latest posts