Drawing Meds

Help Support CattleToday:

Mongoose

Reaction score
How come when you go to draw up some med. and you let go of the plunger all the med. sucks back into the container? It only does it to me everynow and then, I still havent figured out why. Its something to do with the air right?

Try pulling the plunger back before you put it in the medicine bottle. After inserting the needle into the bottle push the plunger, this forces air preasure into the bottle. Now turn the bottle upside down and draw out the dosage.

before you insert the syringe into the bottle, draw the amout of air equal to the shot and put it in the bottle and and push the air in and then draw the meds out.

Ooops yeah,, kinda like Doug said too. :lol:

I think the reason it does not do it sometimes is the hole in the stopper gets big enough to let air in.

Mongoose":3fq5jzjo said:
How come when you go to draw up some med. and you let go of the plunger all the med. sucks back into the container? It only does it to me everynow and then, I still havent figured out why. Its something to do with the air right?

The bottle is a vacumn (sp?) environment, and to draw meds you have to replace the volume - for lack of a better word for it work properly. If you need to draw 10 cc's of meds, then inject 10 cc's of air prior to drawing and that will eliminate the problem. I'm sure you already know this, but I believe it is worth mentioning nonetheless - make sure the needle you're using is a sterile needle to prevent injecting contaminates into the bottle.

msscamp":1bta2cc7 said:
Mongoose":1bta2cc7 said:

The bottle is a vacumn (sp?) environment, and to draw meds you have to replace the volume - for lack of a better word for it work properly. If you need to draw 10 cc's of meds, then inject 10 cc's of air prior to drawing and that will eliminate the problem. I'm sure you already know this, but I believe it is worth mentioning nonetheless - make sure the needle you're using is a sterile needle to prevent injecting contaminates into the bottle.

I leave the drawing needle in the bottle and swap the syringe.
This keeps contamination to a minimum and allows the bottle to equalize and encourages me to go ahead and swap the administering needles instead of "well I'll swap after the next one" or "just one more" syndrome.
One benefit I've noticed is the calves(raised to cows) that have had new needles used for an easy in easy out are less "rowdy" in the chute. Some are so obilivious to it I think I could administer the shots in the pasture.

Latest posts