Help--Need advice re stacking pinkeye meds!

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
Hi,
trying to get on top of a calf w/ bad pinkeye that came on fast. I can give her a sub-Q shot of LA200 (dosage per bottle instructions) and I know that I can also give her a 5cc squirt of Pen-G directly into the eye. What I can't remember is whether it's ok to do both at once, or is it best to give them on alternate days, or to otherwise spread them out? Also, as I recall you can re-do the shot and/or squirt in 3-5 days if eye hasn't cleared? Thanks!

Doesn't really matter what you squirt in the eye - it's gonna be washed out by tear action in less than 20 minutes anyway. Just don't go squirting diesel fuel or WD-40 in there, and don't throw salt in it.
Going with a systemic injectible, if they reach 'treatment level' concentrations in the tears (oxytet does) will give you continuous bathing of the eye with antimicrobial in the tear film.
Put on a patch. May do as much or more good than anything else you can do.

If you're going to do penicillin anyway, 3 cc injection in the upper part of the eyelid. That and the other will cure it. I usually do it twice.

Lucky_P":23rxcjjh said:
Doesn't really matter what you squirt in the eye - it's gonna be washed out by tear action in less than 20 minutes anyway. Just don't go squirting diesel fuel or WD-40 in there, and don't throw salt in it.
Going with a systemic injectible, if they reach 'treatment level' concentrations in the tears (oxytet does) will give you continuous bathing of the eye with antimicrobial in the tear film.
Put on a patch. May do as much or more good than anything else you can do.

Thanks Lucky, and all. Will try the patch yet again, although have had no luck getting one to stay on last time I tried it.
Any concerns with using permethrin (mixed with diesel or min oil at concentrations per label) on 2 mo old calves? We finally got summer (now that it's Sept) and the flies are makin up for lost time!

Calhoun Farm":1iuzn7d8 said:
I've had good luck with LA300 subQ and a patch over the eye.

Thanks. Do you know the diff between LA300 and LA200--just release times maybe???

boondocks":4159vbpx said:
Will try the patch yet again, although have had no luck getting one to stay on last time I tried it.

The glue for the Kamar 'heat-detecting-patches' works really well as a glue for a patch. Just put the glue along a top portion of a patch/piece of denim etc and stick it on there.

If you haven't got any of that type of glue, perhaps a bit of crazy glue, and after several days the crazy glue should wear off the hair.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Make patches out of wore out old blue jeans and she if your local auction barn will give you a can of glue they use to put on back tags. Leave patch on until it comes off.

Latest posts