Expired Meds

Help Support CattleToday:

Lutalyse and dexamethasone, do they go bad? Had them for 12 to 18 months. Clean needle punctures only.

Got some that's been kept around 65 degrees and in a dark cupboard. Was going to hit some heifers with it today.

Any issue?
I would use it. Unless long out of date

Our biggest problem with expired meds is that we have to record their use with batch numbers and expiry dates. We may get audited and if caught out could lose our LPA accreditation which would make it very difficult to sell cattle.

Ken

I had to look that up. Sounds like our BQA (Beef Quality Assurance) Program, but maybe a bit stricter. BQA is a volunteer program to assure buyers you handle your cattle safely for meat quality. We do not need to be BQA Certified to SELL anything. I think it was set up to "teach" beef producers the proper way to give injections so that we quit ruining meat. There is more to it than just giving shots - but that has been the biggest improvement for meat quality.
We have to keep records of what injections we give, where, batch numbers, expiration dates, etc. like what you mentioned. But, if we listed out-dated vaccines or antibiotics, I don't think anyone would lose status.

I'm doing it today. Had a hard time finding the vaccines I have been using. Couldn't find then anywhere. Going with a plan B regimen instead.

Kenny Thomas tells me tetanus stuff is impossible to find right now as well. Sure hope to find some. Anyone in my area sees any, let us know please.

I'm doing it today. Had a hard time finding the vaccines I have been using. Couldn't find then anywhere. Going with a plan B regimen instead.

Kenny Thomas tells me tetanus stuff is impossible to find right now as well. Sure hope to find some. Anyone in my area sees any, let us know please.
Cavalry 9 and Covexin 8 seem to be out of stock on every website I checked. Not good! At least in my world, I don't have to worry about it until next May.

Picked up Covexin 8 at MFA (feed store) this morning going to be banding calves. They didn't have any virashield in stock though might hit up the vet. Seems like there is still supply disruption going on from Covid. Not really sure what the best vaccine program would be for calves. Might as well worm them all while I've got them in the chute.

Sneedville COOP ended up having something very similar to covexin 8, it was a 9 way with a tetanus component. Gonna hit them again in 3 weeks when I put some bands on them.

I swear though, my steers weighed less than same age bulls this past year, considerably less. Makes me wonder if I'd come out ahead taking bulls to the sale at a younger age.

Never heard that before. That's GREAT. EVERYONE should get BQA certified. I got certified the first time it was offered in our state and have maintained certification since. My nephew is also certified.
I totally agree on being certified. I feel its a good practice to follow whether certified or not.

We are BQA certified also, but it has made little/no difference in sale prices here. I like that it taught better injection/shot placements and using more subq injections... but we do not use mlv so do not qualify for some of the other groups protocols... all vaccines here are killed virus. Too many odd animals coming and going with buying some to work and then put together groups... and contact with the cows/calves in the fall sometimes across fences...

I picked up 2 more bottle of 10 doses of tetanus the other day to have available. Cannot find the Calvary 9, so made sure we have plenty of 8 way blackleg. Have not had any problem with getting Triangle 10 HB so far... I try to keep 2-3 big bottles of it in the fridge... anything that comes into the farm gets it.... all bought animals, to help kickstart their immune system...

Jan, I don't understand your reference to MLV. There isn't any requirement on WHAT vaccine you use....as far as I know.
I think she is referring to the sales sponsored by the Virginia Cattlemen Association. Many if not all of their sales require MLV to participate.

Latest posts