Weaning without meds

Help Support CattleToday:

Sure. People do it all the time. Just make sure that you have a cabinet full of antibiotics and a trackhoe for burying the deads on standby.

Never vaccinate anything here. My vet said vaccinating is like having a firetruck, you really don't need it until there is a fire and then it's too late.....he reckons I'm going to burn one day....

Vaccination is cheaper than whiskey, just ask Gcreekranch.

I have no idea what percentage of producers do not vaccinate. I personally know one of our biggest producers in the county does not vaccinate. He is a good neighbor and friend. He has told me many times that he considers a 10 % mortality rate in his annual calf crop acceptable.

I also know producers who don't vaccinate and they claim they don't lose many calves. True Grit has commented many times that some of the locals in his area do not vaccinate and he has said they do as well as he does.

I recommend vaccinating .

Would you be selling the weaners or fattening them yourself? If I was to buy weaners I'd make certain they have been vaccinated/dewormed.

I've known several producers that don't vaccinate and get along just fine. Could it be a train wreck waiting to happen? Sure! But then again some trains never wreck!

I vaccinate

Have heard people say "Had to cull that animal, it was a 'poor doer'" and they blame it on genetics or breeding. In the meantime they never stuck to a vaccination program or dewormed their animals...who is at fault?

alisonb said:
Have heard people say "Had to cull that animal, it was a 'poor doer'" and they blame it on genetics or breeding. In the meantime they never stuck to a vaccination program or dewormed their animals...who is at fault?

Their parents for breeding.

alisonb said:

That is how you select animals that fit your management practices, cull the ones that don't work out. Simple cow man logic.

"That is how you select animals that fit your management practices, cull the ones that don't work out. Simple cow man logic."

Am I to understand that your management practices do not include vaccinating or deworming?

BTW - Which 'simple' would you be referring to?

There is an Ivomec advert that says "Invest a little, gain a lot".

alisonb said:
"That is how you select animals that fit your management practices, cull the ones that don't work out. Simple cow man logic."

Am I to understand that your management practices do not include vaccinating or deworming?

BTW - Which 'simple' would you be referring to?

There is an Ivomec advert that says "Invest a little, gain a lot".

Wow, I don't know what to say. Make a simple comment on a post and it gets it twisted out of shape.

Well let's set the record straight. I follow a pretty ridged vaccination and worming program invoking spring and fall work up on the entire herd. Not my idea just "doing what has always been done". I'd love to save the time, money and effort if there's a better way.

As the late Ross Perot once said "I'm all ears".

30 years without vaccinating calves, never had a problem, though mine have a pretty low stress life and don't get too worked up anyhow.

Vaccine is over sold. If you read the fine print in many vaccines companies lit they compare one vaccine method to another, but not no vaccine...

It is a stress and soil thing. :cowboy:

I vaccinate for blackleg and should for lepto, I haven't wormed for ages and don't see a reason to at this time. Weaning is in the fall after at least on storm, get them out on some grass so they aren't bunched up in a dusty pen when they quit bawling. It may be 30 days or longer after they're weaned before I get them worked and vaccinated.