DR World Class 517

Help Support CattleToday:

El_Putzo

Reaction score
Anyone ever use the hereford bull DR World Class 517 (P41000194)?

He seems to have great numbers and is reasonably priced. His accuracies are pretty decent too for only being a 7 yr old.

With those high maternal numbers, I would think he'd be a great choice for someone like me who is breeding replacements. Not to mention the fact that his daddy is Felton's 517. I've only been able to find one pic of him but he seems to be well muscled in the rear like his daddy. I think I could handle having a few 517 grandaughters and grandson's around my place.

Any thoughts? Past experiences?

Oh yeah, he would be used on heifers.

El_Putzo":258lzdz7 said:
Anyone ever use the hereford bull DR World Class 517 (P41000194)?

Never used him, but I would. Calving and growth EPDs look great. I mentioned my liking 517 in a previous post, and we had a Marathon Man daughter in our herd we liked real well who raised a real nice calf for us. Had to cull her due to a leg injury when she was knocked over a feeder by our last remaining crossbred cow.

We have one 517 grandaughter in production and we've had a bunch of his grandsons as steers. I like him well enough that we've used his grandsons on all but a couple of cows to produce blady replacments. The black baldy heifer I posted a picture of is a grandaughter.

dun

I found a pic of him. Any comments? Jake?

DRWorldClass517.jpg

El_Putzo":2me1gvhi said:
Great, that's what I'm after. Good or bad, I would like to hear them.

Great looking bull to my uneducated eye. But to be in the spirit of things and needing something negative, his nuts are too close to the ground.

dun

I guess that could be negative, Dun, wouldn't want him or another cow to step on them. Or possibly drag the ground while walking over a terrace or something :lol: :lol:

I always thought a large pair was a good thing!!

El_Putzo":2g9poltk said:
I guess that could be negative, Dun, wouldn't want him or another cow to step on them. Or possibly drag the ground while walking over a terrace or something :lol: :lol:

I always thought a large pair was a good thing!!

It was more or less a joke. Large is better, but low slung can cause problems in rough pasture or brush. In hot weather they'll hang a lot lower then those in that picture.

dun

Not saying that's true, but it wouldn't bother me to have a little simme in my herefords, as that's what I'm going to cross them with later, only black instead or red.

Arnold Ziffle":3hwbc6iu said:
El Putzo ---- I have a funny feeling that Muratic might want to offer a comment about that bull. We'll see. :lol:

I sure do AZ!!

DRWorldClass517.jpg

I see no "mane" on this bull Camp. The red goes almost clear to the hoof. And there is a noticable pigment on his eye.

Campground Cattle":3hwbc6iu said:
Looks like decent lines I like the Feltons
I will agree with you on the Feltons 517 as a good line.
I have quite a bit of Feltons 517 in my herd I really like that line almost as well as the Braxton
Simmi has been in the woodpile.
I am a Hereford man. Nuff Said.

Ferdinand D Bull":3hwbc6iu said:
Feltons bull looks like a Simmental. Imagine that.

OH common Camp. Just tell us what you think. No need to disquise your voice. We all know that is you there dear.

OOPS. One more thing...
Them Victors look good thought I could breed them up with some Braxton. ;-)
Why do that? So they can look like this? (no offence TR, she is "painted" pretty!!)
WeekEnd02-02-05018.jpg

It's actually kind of funny you say that.

I was researching World Class's family tree and His daddy is 517 as I said, but his momma is a VA Poly Tech Institute cow with no epds?!?! The grandparents on the maternal side have records but the mom doesn't, and she was bred by a Tech Institute. Now, maybe I'm grasping at straws here but maybe the simme came in on the maternal side, could that be a reason why there's no records on her?!?!? Hmmmmm????

Reminds me of that darn pesky neighbor dog, always trying to sneak in on your female while you ain't lookin!!! :lol: :lol:

Right, it could be a good thing El Putzo. With that bull's calves, I reckon you could talk to them in English or German and they would be able to understand you. Sprechen ze Fleckvieh? :lol:

I'm pretty sure that the Braxton line are purebreds even if they do have long stockings. I even think that you would get some hybrid vigor breeding the Braxton's and Felton's as they are both obviously heavily linebred animals. Imagine that, hybrid vigor without outcrossing. That what a good depth of genetics will do for you in a breed.

Cattle Rack Rancher":21mueifl said:
I'm pretty sure that the Braxton line are purebreds even if they do have long stockings.

Who knows what the New Zealanders bred into them there Braxtons. Could be part sheep for all we know.

El_Putzo":3cnj54ii said:
It's actually kind of funny you say that.

I was researching World Class's family tree and His daddy is 517 as I said, but his momma is a VA Poly Tech Institute cow with no epds?!?! The grandparents on the maternal side have records but the mom doesn't, and she was bred by a Tech Institute. Now, maybe I'm grasping at straws here but maybe the simme came in on the maternal side, could that be a reason why there's no records on her?!?!? Hmmmmm????

Reminds me of that darn pesky neighbor dog, always trying to sneak in on your female while you ain't lookin!!! :lol: :lol:

No EPDs usually means the owner of record isn't "Performance Reporting", they are just giving the AHA the names of the parents. The owner of record of VPI Marathon Lady is listed as a "Pedigree" breeder, not TPR. PITA reporting requirements to have them calculate and publish your EPDs these days. Our Marathon Man daughter had red legs and very little mane, and even when bred to our very traditional looking bull, her calf was easy to pick out of the lot because of his markings. On the other hand, the cow that hurt her is out of our Polled Hereford bull and a red Simmental cow, and she has all kinds of mane and white above her knees and up her sides.

Latest posts