DR World Class 517

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowherefords":1jgvrx03 said:
. If anyone wanted to attack Angus the way they savage Herefords, you could ask why some have bits of white ;-) underneath. ;-) ;-) ;-)

Willow, some Angus have bits of White Underneath because that has been there since the Birth of the breed.

Caustic Burno":28nljq5n said:
Commerical Herefords kinda says it all no tellin what someone put in there.
You just never know how many rats are in the corn crib until it catches on fire. Of course Dun thats yours and Mtnmans Opinion and they stink as bad as mine. As bad as mine stinks is I don't have one on every subject.

commercial or registered.........doesn't really matter.......unless you raise all your own replacement females and herd bulls, you can never be positive there isn't something hiding in your own woodpile :roll:

txag":20fedx9i said:
Caustic Burno":20fedx9i said:
Commerical Herefords kinda says it all no tellin what someone put in there.
You just never know how many rats are in the corn crib until it catches on fire. Of course Dun thats yours and Mtnmans Opinion and they stink as bad as mine. As bad as mine stinks is I don't have one on every subject.

commercial or registered.........doesn't really matter.......unless you raise all your own replacement females and herd bulls, you can never be positive there isn't something hiding in your own woodpile :roll:

There are reputable breeders as well as the crooks,

Sort of related but kind of unrelated. When a DNA paternity test is done on registerd calves, aren't there some markers that they can or do look at to see if there is/was an etheopian in the fuel supply?

dun

Not trying to be a smarty pants here, but how many of you were alive at the "birth" of the breed you are raising? Truthfully, in my opinion, all cows probably trace back to one "breed" if you want to go back that far. So, if anyone out there know's when the "birth" of their breed was, please share. Please also include photos and family trees, since we are being specific.

In my opinion, all cattle are "cross breeds" of some sort. I realize that different types of cattle evolved in different parts of the world for many different purposes. All of this evolution took quite a while.

I guess my point is that cattle breeders raise cattle that look appealing and serve their purpose. It's only logical that people in diffent parts of the world have different purposes and ideas of how cows "should" look.

That's my theory on the evolution of cattle. That's why I have to chuckle when people on this board reply that someone's cattle pics don't "look like purebreds"

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now. :roll:

El_Putzo":3tzo8gxj said:
Not trying to be a smarty pants here, but how many of you were alive at the "birth" of the breed you are raising? Truthfully, in my opinion, all cows probably trace back to one "breed" if you want to go back that far. So, if anyone out there know's when the "birth" of their breed was, please share. Please also include photos and family trees, since we are being specific.

In my opinion, all cattle are "cross breeds" of some sort. I realize that different types of cattle evolved in different parts of the world for many different purposes. All of this evolution took quite a while.

I guess my point is that cattle breeders raise cattle that look appealing and serve their purpose. It's only logical that people in diffent parts of the world have different purposes and ideas of how cows "should" look.

That's my theory on the evolution of cattle. That's why I have to chuckle when people on this board reply that someone's cattle pics don't "look like purebreds"

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now. :roll:

Well if you want to get down to the nut cuttin I guess we could start in the book of Genesis

From the OK State site:

"Modern domestic cattle evolved from a single early ancestor, the aurochs. In addition to prehistoric painting that help us identify the appearance of the auroch the species actually survived until relatively modern times. It is believed the last surviving member of the species was killed by a poacher in 1627 on a hunting reserve near Warsaw, Poland."

OK, I have to admit that I wasn't around when my breed was developed. But OK State has a history of the Angus breed (and many others) at:

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/

I like the idea about going back to Genesis for the pedigrees.

I have noticed that most of the breed associations have a "How our breed was found" story, but that is not the beginning of the breed, that is only the beginning of the record keeping of the breed.

Sorry if I took that too far earlier. I just think it's kinda funny when people try guess "what's in the woodpile". The way I see it, we'll probably never know, and I don't really care to, personnally. As long as my cattle produce quality offspring that perform and look appealing to me, I will be satisfied.

I have noticed that most of the breed associations have a "How our breed was found" story, but that is not the beginning of the breed, that is only the beginning of the record keeping of the breed.
So what are you meaning by this? Is it that a breed was a breed before they had a record? I really don't understand that.
Are you saying that on the Gert breed, the beginning of the breed was before Monkey? He was the first Gert, and he was because he had the % of Shorthorn and Brahman that Captain King was pleased with. To me that is the start of the breed.
If I am way off on what you said, I apologize, but I really was confused as to your wording. Examples would be nice.

la4angus":3e6k8bfi said:
greenwillowherefords":3e6k8bfi said:
. If anyone wanted to attack Angus the way they savage Herefords, you could ask why some have bits of white ;-) underneath. ;-) ;-) ;-)

Willow, some Angus have bits of White Underneath because that has been there since the Birth of the breed.

I believe you. And so have Herefords had a variety of shades and a fairly wide range of markings all along. Remember, the first three cows they were developed from were not even white faced. One of those first three had a mottled face, and you will still find freckle faced Herefords that are a throwback to her.

Frenchie, the black hereford is not recognized as such by the AHA, Campground, or myself!

certherfbeef":v4jpl38l said:
greenwillowherefords":v4jpl38l said:
The oldtimers say that the excessive white comes with linebreeding in certain bloodlines.

Green willow, this is the result of too much Buckshot:
sparkles.jpg
[/img]
I have every right to register this heifer (which by the way was weaned this morning at 565 lbs.) but I will not. If retained, she will become part of the commercial herd. And probably be a recip mamma in a few years.

Any kin to JTJ Buckshot 7B? He is the sire of my L1M cow, and the MGS of my new bull.

Boys, I have seen this bull in person. I have used him naturally and he is a well built animal with great muscle. He is one of my herd bulls that I use on my heifers. He is the thickess thing that I have ever used. Calves got tons of muscle and females milk great and have perfect udders. Ranked high in the Hereford breed and he is really starting to turn heads. He is at North American Breeders, Berryville, Virginia. And another thing is, I have half sisters to this phenomal herdsire. He is a great bull, with a great background. Believe me, because I only live about 2 hours from where he is from, Crozet, Virginia, over at Dunrovin Farm.

Hill Creek Farm":5v5aq4ed said:
Boys, I have seen this bull in person. I have used him naturally and he is a well built animal with great muscle. He is one of my herd bulls that I use on my heifers. He is the thickess thing that I have ever used. Calves got tons of muscle and females milk great and have perfect udders. Ranked high in the Hereford breed and he is really starting to turn heads. He is at North American Breeders, Berryville, Virginia. And another thing is, I have half sisters to this phenomal herdsire. He is a great bull, with a great background. Believe me, because I only live about 2 hours from where he is from, Crozet, Virginia, over at Dunrovin Farm.

Which is the thickest, World Class, or BRL Call? I have read your statements about the thickness of each.

greenwillowherefords":yk2f9ile said:
certherfbeef":yk2f9ile said:
greenwillowherefords":yk2f9ile said:
Frenchie, the black hereford is not recognized as such by the AHA, Campground, or myself!

You forgot me!!!

Sorry for the oversight, Cert!

Greenwillow are you sure I hear they are pretty good cattle, must be the black blood in them..
:lol: :lol:

Just joking guys, I know they are not recognized by the Hereford associations ,yourself , Certherbeef, or Campground.

Well, green willow, it is hard to say just which one is thicker. I would say that both World Class and Call are both thick animals. I really couldn't say which one really does make a thicker animal. All I have to say is that both Call and World Class are thick, it is just that World Class is not a show animal and Call was a Grand Champion bull at Denver. I have seen both animals in person. Call is much bigger framed than World Class. Call has more depth than World Class. Honestly though, I really can't say which one of them is better than the other. Which bull do you think is the better bull, Call or World Class?

Latest posts