DR World Class 517

Help Support CattleToday:

mtnman":hq9irmji said:
greenwillow:

I'd think for a Hereford guy, you would understand linebreeding better.

Things don't "show up" with linebreeding, they are uncovered, because they were already there. Linebreeding doesn't CAUSE mutations, it UNCOVERS them.

Might I remind you that the L1's started from other cows, and bulls, they just didn't magically appear. Therefore, the gene was in the starting animals, which were some of the same starting animals for other lines, and that are still available today, just not through a L1 pedigree.

mtnman

I was just using L 1 as an example. I didn't say that linebreeding causes it; I said it shows up when you do. Which is another way of saying that it uncovers it, IMHO. BTW, what DOES cause mutations? I believe there is must be an environment or set of circumstances that tends to foster them.

I was digging through some pictures over the weekend of the registered herefords we had back in the mid to late 70's. They look quite a bit more like the Braxton's in coloring. My guess is that the white has been linebred out of them over the past 30 years or so. The horned herefords that we had had broad striping on the mane and alot of white on the stockings. Like I said these were registered animals back in the 70's. I'd post a couple of pictures but I can't seem to get photobucket to accept the .bmp files from the imaging program.

Cattle Rack Rancher":1py65caa said:
I'd post a couple of pictures but I can't seem to get photobucket to accept the .bmp files from the imaging program.

Think you've got to save them as .jpeg or .jpg.

Barring anyone downwind of Area 51 or 3-mile Island, I am aware of no environmetnal circumstances that favor the generation of mutations.

mtnman

Cattle Rack Rancher":842rpvnv said:
I was digging through some pictures over the weekend of the registered herefords we had back in the mid to late 70's. They look quite a bit more like the Braxton's in coloring. My guess is that the white has been linebred out of them over the past 30 years or so. The horned herefords that we had had broad striping on the mane and alot of white on the stockings. Like I said these were registered animals back in the 70's. I'd post a couple of pictures but I can't seem to get photobucket to accept the .bmp files from the imaging program.

Most of the Braxton's don't have much white. Look them up and see.

The lineback and too much white was deemed undesirable and selected against over the years.

Ferdinand D Bull":z01aj5to said:
Cattle Rack Rancher":z01aj5to said:

Most of the Braxton's don't have much white. Look them up and see.

The lineback and too much white was deemed undesirable and selected against over the years.

How many Braxtons have you seen or Braxton breeders do you know ? I only know of two that exclusively run Braxton lines in Texas and Reed in Washington used to have a large herd but doesn't any longer.
Braxton Giant 1 grandpa on one side of these two Sire on the other Vindicator also in the woodpile.
Now don't get me wrong I know there are other people that own Braxtons but they never gained the popularity in the US as the money wasn't pushing them.
nov72.jpg
[/img]

Nuff said

Campground Cattle":22ifw05d said:
How many Braxtons have you seen or Braxton breeders do you know ? I only know of two that exclusively run Braxton lines in Texas and Reed in Washington used to have a large herd but doesn't any longer.
Braxton Giant 1 grandpa on one side of these two Sire on the other Vindicator also in the woodpile.
Now don't get me wrong I know there are other people that own Braxtons but they never gained the popularity in the US as the money wasn't pushing them.Nuff said

You think your one Braxton Giant grandson is the same as all the Braxtons. Did you look them up? Check out BG1 on Reeds site. Sure isn't spotted. Red eyed & red necked. Google search for Braxtons and New Zealand and you'll find some more. Majority are dark red, red eyed. I'd post picutres for you but I haven't figred out how to do it yet.

Don't need money to push if the quality is there. Quality sells itself.

Not nuff said because I still had something to say. Now nuff said.

Ferdinand D Bull":29wfzh6w said:
Campground Cattle":29wfzh6w said:
Now don't get me wrong I know there are other people that own Braxtons but they never gained the popularity in the US as the money wasn't pushing them.Nuff said

You think your one Braxton Giant grandson is the same as all the Braxtons. Did you look them up? Check out BG1 on Reeds site. Sure isn't spotted. Red eyed & red necked. Google search for Braxtons and New Zealand and you'll find some more. Majority are dark red, red eyed. I'd post picutres for you but I haven't figred out how to do it yet.

Don't need money to push if the quality is there. Quality sells itself.

Not nuff said because I still had something to say. Now nuff said.

I have been runnin Braxton's for years punkin probably before you even knew what a hereford was. I know what Braxtons look like form New Zealand to here as I own them. Amazing you know what all Braxtons look like again I will ask how many Braxton breeders you know? I don't know a lot about the Victor lines but I am smart enough not to argue with someone who has been running them for years. ESBAM

Ferdinand D Bull":2cwmzh4r said:
Campground Cattle":2cwmzh4r said:
I have been runnin Braxton's for years punkin probably before you even knew what a hereford was. I know what Braxtons look like form New Zealand to here as I own them. Amazing you know what all Braxtons look like again I will ask how many Braxton breeders you know? I don't know a lot about the Victor lines but I am smart enough not to argue with someone who has been running them for years. ESBAM

I don't know what kind of funny stuff you're into but I ain't your punkin, son. I don't have to know any Braxton breeders to know what Braxtons look like. I've seen pictures of enough of them to know what they look like.

You don't have to get so defensive, there's nothing wrong with your bull looking like that, it's just not accurate to say it's typical of Braxtons. I wasn't answerint to your post or talking about your cows int he first place.

I didnt come on here to start any fights. I like herefords myself and hope we can be friends.

dun":1k3ct5g1 said:
Sort of related but kind of unrelated. When a DNA paternity test is done on registerd calves, aren't there some markers that they can or do look at to see if there is/was an etheopian in the fuel supply?

dun

Yes. Before an Angus bull can be used AI, he must be DNA tested. The same is true before a cow can be flushed. Their bloodlines are then proven and any calf produced by them can be DNA tested to be sure of it's parentage. I'd guess most other breed associations have similar requirements.

So, if there was Simmenthal or Holstein or wahtever in any given breed it would be caught by DNA, right?

dun

Campground Cattle":3nft7ots said:
dun":3nft7ots said:
So, if there was Simmenthal or Holstein or wahtever in any given breed it would be caught by DNA, right?

dun

All I will say is check your Hereford history again.

I wasn't addressing strictly Herefords. Where did the white and size come from on Angus, where did the white go or brockle face come from in Herefords, where did the..............
You get the idea. I fully realize that there has been some monkey business in some herds of probably everybreed, but by and large, all of the traits we see today were there in the beginning. Selection can do funny things.

dun

dun":2c6gtlt6 said:
Where did the white and size come from on Angus,
dun

I made a post in the past 2 weeks that angus had white on the underbellies since the birth of the breed.

Also there were many herds in Oklahoma that had large cattle. Not the little short legged belt buckle types. The same goes for many herds in some of the western states and Canada.

la4angus":es27s6d3 said:
dun":es27s6d3 said:
Where did the white and size come from on Angus,
dun

I made a post in the past 2 weeks that angus had white on the underbellies since the birth of the breed.

Also there were many herds in Oklahoma that had large cattle. Not the little short legged belt buckle types. The same goes for many herds in some of the western states and Canada.

Taken out of context

dun

mtnman":q3nf1p15 said:
Barring anyone downwind of Area 51 or 3-mile Island, I am aware of no environmetnal circumstances that favor the generation of mutations.

mtnman

I speak specifically of breeding decisions. There are evidently and obviously certain bloodlines or individuals that produce certain color variations etc. when bred to the right genetics.

So then, they are new mutations then, only showing up when combining lines.

Also, this would be genetic, not environmental as you suggested earlier.

mtnman

mtnman":2ez9hc4z said:
So then, they are new mutations then, only showing up when combining lines.

Also, this would be genetic, not environmental as you suggested earlier.

mtnman

The breeder creates the environment of the right cross or linebreeding the right line. Maybe environment is not the best word for it. I think we should be on the same side of most issues, mtnman. I had no idea this would turn into an argument. I was simply stating what a breeder who had been linebreeding for over 40 years told me, and I have observed it to be the case in his herd particularly in calves sired by a certain bull. Take Care.

OK, green. I see your point, I just hate to see folks using poor terminology, it tends to foster "old" ideas.

mtnman

mtnman":2jlqya4x said:
OK, green. I see your point, I just hate to see folks using poor terminology, it tends to foster "old" ideas.

mtnman

Sorry. If you look at other posts I've made the last couple days, you'll see that I am running so hard right now I can hardly think straight.

Latest posts