downed cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Good morning. :)
It continues to interest me how many different valid perspectives there are on this topic. I am getting stronger in my opinion that regardless of the condition of the cow at the moment of death, (she was making progress getting up and down 3 times on her own, in a pen, not just in the security of the tank), it was an act of negligence on their part, which they admit, and that a replacement should be made. But, replacement of what? A cow recovering from an injury that can stand up three times in her pen, or a cow that I was willing to pay for floating treatments for with the goal in mind of a healthy cow (either for breeding if appropriate, or sale). It is a business, and I went into it knowing I don't know it all. There was a chance she would be spending her last days there if there was no positive, timely response by this past Monday. It was a gamble, but I also went into it feeling she had a greater chance of survival than failure. Otherwise, I would not have considered it. Why string the poor girl along if she is suffering? She was trying, with no additional illnesses or further injuries to deal with, and that is what kept me optimistic, along with the conversations with the float man on what is a typical response by cows in a condition like hers that succeed. She was doing well, filling the requirements in both of our books, and would be able to return home to a pen for her further recovery. I would still have been ahead of the game in cost of healed cow vs dead cow. On the other hand, I was aware I could walk away with a $300 bill and no cow. That would not be good and I winced each time I thought about it, but it was possible.
It's funny to me that some of you consider her a pet of mine. She was not. She was an investment, and I like to take care of my investments. I also raise Shelties....and they are pets. I will admit I do love animals (as alot of you do) and feel a responsibility to them while they are in my care. Everyone in an animal industry has to have some sort of interest in animals to be willing to do all of the work involved. Some people are willing to do more for their animals than others, and some aren't willing to take any risk and would prefer the animal dead and a loss. I guess what I've learned here is there is no wrong answer. Whatever works for each of us is what makes the world go 'round. :) Having respect for that is where it can get sticky.

I called the float man yesterday to ask what he felt was fair. (He really is a great person!) He takes full responsibility and wants to replace her with a nice 2 yr. old. I did offer to pay the bill if he felt that was fair, and he is going to get back to me on that. He thought it was very generous to offer. He mentioned he realizes as well that this situation could have been anything from a "forget about it.... to a law suit". He wants to meet in the middle of it, and I'm fine with that too.
Take care everybody!
LisaJoy

LisaJoy - the man is bending over backwards to make things right with you. I applaud you for offering to pay for the floating. I'll applaud even louder if you insist on paying the float bill. Cut him a check and don't take no for an answer. Sounds like you two are on your way to working this out.

Farmhand":1cjac3fc said:
LisaJoy - the man is bending over backwards to make things right with you. I applaud you for offering to pay for the floating. I'll applaud even louder if you insist on paying the float bill. Cut him a check and don't take no for an answer. Sounds like you two are on your way to working this out.

A big amen here!

Good luck & best wishes

Brock

Heck, I'd get up too if somebody split my tail and put garlic in it!

Wouldn't you?

RedAngus121":uu7q2eag said:
ok Has Crazy has this Might Sound a Downed heifer Has a Chance If She Goes Down at Calving. It Worked for use Last Winter With a First Calver and has Worked For my Uncle in Ireland. Its Called Slip Tail.

1. Fell your Cows Tail Find the Spot Where the Tail is Split you Wont Fell any bone it will Fell like Jello.

2. Buy Garlic Mix it threw one of those like Food Cutter Deals.

3. get Butter Mix the Chop Garlic and Butter in a Blow.

4 Go back to your Cow Find the Spot on her Tail. and Cut a Slit in her Tail the Size of the Jelloy Spot.

5. put the Butter Garlix Mix in the Slit And then Bandage the Cut up.

6. Then Get a Hip Clamp attach a Rop to A pully in your Barn or us a Loader Doesnt matter. and Just lift the Cow EverDay let her Stand on Her Feet.

I know this Sounds Crazy And you All Probly think i am Crazy For Even Trying to get you to Try this. But it Worked for use. The Cows Tail Fell off. But She Is Bred and is Ready to Calve Again. This Doesnt Allways Work but it Works about 50/50

if you dont Beleave me i will upLoad a picture of this Cow. its the only one in the herd with out a tail.

Is it possible that #6 is the reason the heifer got up and not the butter-garlic mix?

We had this problem last year with a Simmental "Meyer 734" heifer that cost more than an average heifer. I checked with lots of people and on lots of different message boards. And got a bunch of first hand experiences were the heifer got up after rolling and lifting. One case the heifer got up on her own when just left in the field after 2 weeks. So sometimes a heifer can be saved and go on to have babies year after year. But in our case other health issues, such as sores and loss of appetite made us decide to shoot her after a few days.

She Did With Alot of Help! try it i Cant Garanty its Going to Work. But If you have a Cow Down Fell Her Tail for the Spot where the Tail is Spilt.

aplusmnt":3eobero8 said:
I guess at least she will be good and marinated in case you have to eat her :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK - I'm going with crazy. Seriously, I think #6 was the reason for the cow getting back up. I think you could have skipped #1-5 and 6 would have still worked.

guys i've been thinking about this cow floating thing. i got to wondering if we can use our pounds. use a front end loader then put her in a pound. yall think it'll work?

Why Would you Fell Sorry. We had a Downed Cow. We Fixed it and now the cow is Bred.

So i dont Know Whats there to fell sorrry about.

TheLazyM":30oqg3gd said:
guys i've been thinking about this cow floating thing. i got to wondering if we can use our pounds. use a front end loader then put her in a pound. yall think it'll work?

Now this boy is using his head saving a dime. Bet the boys head looks like a rat turd sharp on both ends.

RedAngus121":2ess9c7j said:
ok Has Crazy has this Might Sound a Downed heifer Has a Chance If She Goes Down at Calving. It Worked for use Last Winter With a First Calver and has Worked For my Uncle in Ireland. Its Called Slip Tail.

1. Fell your Cows Tail Find the Spot Where the Tail is Split you Wont Fell any bone it will Fell like Jello.

2. Buy Garlic Mix it threw one of those like Food Cutter Deals.

3. get Butter Mix the Chop Garlic and Butter in a Blow.

4 Go back to your Cow Find the Spot on her Tail. and Cut a Slit in her Tail the Size of the Jelloy Spot.

5. put the Butter Garlix Mix in the Slit And then Bandage the Cut up.

6. Then Get a Hip Clamp attach a Rop to A pully in your Barn or us a Loader Doesnt matter. and Just lift the Cow EverDay let her Stand on Her Feet.

I know this Sounds Crazy And you All Probly think i am Crazy For Even Trying to get you to Try this. But it Worked for use. The Cows Tail Fell off. But She Is Bred and is Ready to Calve Again. This Doesnt Allways Work but it Works about 50/50

if you dont Beleave me i will upLoad a picture of this Cow. its the only one in the herd with out a tail.

:lol2: :lol2:

Reminds me of the Baxter Black column about the cow with "hollow tail" - anyone ever see that one? LOL.

Latest posts