downed cow

Help Support CattleToday:

if i was a cow being floated i dont think i'd give a crap about eating. i'd me more like what the..? :???:

Seems like if she is staniding and walking any at all, there could be a chance. Just might turn into a financial issue.

Maybe he needs an Agua-Float-Treadmill tank then they could walk a little while floating :)

Beefy":2itr5vsb said:
if i was a cow being floated i dont think i'd give a crap about eating. i'd me more like what the..? :???:
That's funny as heck. This is a really interesting thread ,I hope everything turns out OK

That's pretty good that she's able to stand on her own! Don't write her off yet. Sounds like she's got the will to live and that's a big part of the battle. ;-)

HI Everybody! :) You really are a neat group of people and I feel real lucky to have found this site! Here's an update. They got her in the tank again last night, after the day of resting, and she stood up by herself again before they filled the tank. They decided not to fill the tank with water and see how she does since she appears more confident to stand, while in the tank. She stood for quite a while, then went down, rested, and got up again. This morning they said she's been down for several hours, and was not getting back up when they encouraged her. She's probably tired, but we'll see. It sure hasn't been the 100% successful, for sure "experiment" as I was hoping for, but it definitely has given her a chance for progress. I'm off to school for the weekend, and by Monday, we will make a decision of what's next. (The $$ and value is running out.) At what point do you just say...enough? Hopefully she will be standing and able to walk more steps without falling by Monday.
PS If you thought the float tank was goofy.....A girlfriend of mine is an acupuncturist and has treated many dogs that have been paralyzed, so they are able walk again. One of her therapies is using a low beam laser. She is encouraging me to try this on the spine of the cow, to decrease swelling around the nerve and stimulate the cells to better function. We'll see about that, but it sure is interesting to consider. Anyone ever tried something like that before? It's most common use is for show/jumping horses with leg injuries.
I know...they're better off dead, right? But, if there is a chance, and if they aren't suffering because of it, I'm curious and interested to try it.
Have a great weekend and I'll be happy to fill you in on her progress next week if you would like. :cboy:

The reason she got up in the tank was because she could brace herself and it give her confidence. She probably should have been floated again so she could use those muscles and nerves with out too much pain.

I hope they are giving her something to reduce swelling.

rkm

HI rkm,

I think what you said makes alot of sense. We had stopped the dexamethazone, but, I think your suggestion is a good one to keep her on that for swelling. Thank you!

Just a thought if you reach a point where the money runs out and the guy doing this still thinks there is a hope. Offer him half of her sale barn price if she makes it and nothing if not. If he has hope still he might take the deal and you have a hope to still get something.

If she is able to get up and down without water I wouldn't give up on her and I don't think she's better off dead. A cow's better off dead when they aren't improving and don't want to live. Seems to me that you have a cow willing to try why, go with it.
By standing for quite awhile what do you mean 10 minutes or more?
Give her until Monday, then maybe you even want to bring her back home, if money's an issue (isn't it always). If she's able to get up on her own then if you give her a place with stable footing she just may be able to do it at home with a little encouragement (ie bribing with a favourite food).

You should be keeping down the swelling - rkm is right. I'd try the laser thing too, why not? It's not going to hurt and it may help.

Yours is the first post I look for now. The continuing saga of the Floating Cow... :)

I have some good and very bad news...which do you want first. The good news.... As I have been out of town since Friday afternoon at school until this Sunday evening, I'll update her progress. Friday we started up the Dexamethazone again. (thanks rkm) and rubbed in more of the essential oils. :) Her appetite is improving! She was standing for 10 to 20 minutes on her own, but would still fall if she tried to move too fast. We also noticed her right hind hoof would buckle underneath. They said that was from Sciatica and that it can improve. :) I picked up the laser later Friday night (miraculaously) to use for treating her when I stop by on my trip home Sunday night.
I called in to check on her Saturday night. She's made progress! She's gotten up and down 3 times on her own in her pen. This was really great news. That's as far as the good news goes.
On my way home from school Sunday night, I excitedly stop by the "float farm" to laser her. As I go to enter the barn, the owner comes briskly walking from his house. We talk for a moment and then he says he has some horrible news. My heart starts to pound. He told me he had instructed one of his assistants to shoot 2 of the Holstein cows who's owners had decided it had been enough trying to save their cows....(Yes, I said bad news!!!)....apparently the guy didn't know the difference between beef and dairy and shot and killed my cow!! :( I was/am heartbroken, disappointed, sad, etc, etc, etc. I've got tears in my eyes as I'm writing this, but I had to let you guys know since you have inspired and coached me thru this entire process and I appreciate you and felt I owed it to ya to tell you. This really stinks, doesn't it?!!! I never ever thought the final outcome of this situation would be like this. :cry:
The owner was very sorry, and he said the guy that shot her feels even worse, and is willing to pay for or replace her.
So, how was your weekend?

i dont know. the cow was improving and was going to at least be salvageable from the sound of it. so i wouldnt feel bad about taking him up on the offer b/c of that. i fsorta eel like he should be liable in this case.

I would offer to take 1/2 her salvage value & he drops all charges for the "floating".
It was a mistake, as bad as it could be. But this way, it would be less $$ out of their pocket, since they were charging for a "labor" expense.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3c442sxj said:
I would offer to take 1/2 her salvage value & he drops all charges for the "floating".
It was a mistake, as bad as it could be. But this way, it would be less $$ out of their pocket, since they were charging for a "labor" expense.

I would come to some terms similar to Jeanne's suggestion. There was a chance the cow would not make it, but by the same token, by them taking your money trying to save her they were giving you hope she would. For sure no payment of any sort for the treatment, then maybe some compromise on her value at time of shooting her.

There's a part of me that feels bad to take anything, as she wasn't 100% out of the woods yet.....but definitely making moves in the right direction. He's also put alot of work into her.
He said nothing of having to pay the bill, just how much do you want? He felt bad. I'm guessing because there probably aren't too many owners that come out to their "float farm" to massage oils into their cow's back or bring lasers to give her another chance at better healing, and we had kind of gotten to know each other. I couldn't even think of what to say. She's a homegrown girl that's 1/2 pied. I just said, wow, if you are willing to replace her that would be very nice. (It's more than necessary in a way, I was feeling.)

The guy was heads up and honest about it. He is willing to own up to the mistake. That means a great deal to me.

Latest posts