Dow sendero on coastal bermuda?

Help Support CattleToday:

lkana said:
greybeard said:
1982vett said:
http://www.texasagriculture.gov/RegulatoryPrograms/Pesticides/RegulatedHerbicides.aspx

Generally not economical buying in small quantities acreages of any size.

Some more info on application/kill rates of different mixes. https://agrilifecdn.tamu.edu/stephenville/files/2011/02/Mesquite-IPT-Alligare_Final.pdf Yes killing mesquites might seem a simple task depending how you define killing. If your killing the tops but not the roots your not making much headway.
Thanks for posting that. I was not aware Grazon HL was NOT a federally restricted herbicide, but I haven't looked at any Grazon except the original Grazon and Grazon Next P+D.

According to everything I've found it is not. But I cant find it anywhere in more than 2gallon jugs. So I'm assuming in order to get larger quantities you have to be licensed. Now to figure out at what PTO rpm and speed I need to get the proper rate. I'm using an ag-mier 3point 250gallon sprayer. It's about 10years old and of course I dont have any manuals on it. I'm assuming I can look up the numbers stamped on the nozzles and that should give me some info. Hate to under spray $1,500 worth of product and it not do anything or overspray and kill everything.
In Texas, Grazon is a state limited herbicide so it requires a license. Here is a link to a publication on calibrating sprayers. You need to calibrate every year as nozzles wear and volume sprayed changes.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=UBB0XMm0EMT-jwSggZeICg&q=sprayer+calibration+worksheet&oq=sprayer+calibration&gs_l=psy-ab.1.2.0i67j0l9.7930.19866..25635...2.0..0.1246.18148.6-18j3......0....1..gws-wiz.....6..35i39j0i131j0i10i67j0i131i67j0i20i263j0i10.Hu2iQa5lzLY

callmefence said:
I thought it was controlled also.
For grins I just ordered a jug off Amazon. Seems to have went through.
I do prefer p+d because it works on small cedars and prickly pear.

Yea I figured it must not be if you can buy it off Amazon. I did the same thing and ordered just one jug to see if it would go through and so far has. One site says its 2,4d restricted in Texas another says it's not. Guess well see if it shows up at my door or not. That was one thing I didn't see on the hl was ceder and prickly pear and I have tons of it I need to get rid of to. Was just going to spray those with deisel but may look into the p+d if it's not restricted. I went ahead and started the process to get my applicators license but of course I wont have it in the time I'll need it to spray this year.

I guess it's like anything else that's restricted. You can still buy it yourself if you look in the right place. Happens to be Amazon this time. Guess you just have to make a judgment call on if it's worth taking the risk of getting busted applying it yourself or not. In all with the grazon and surfactant I need $1,400 worth and the only place I know of that sprays anything more than 5acres near me wants near $3,500 to do it.

lkana said:
I guess it's like anything else that's restricted. You can still buy it yourself if you look in the right place. Happens to be Amazon this time. Guess you just have to make a judgment call on if it's worth taking the risk of getting busted applying it yourself or not. In all with the grazon and surfactant I need $1,400 worth and the only place I know of that sprays anything more than 5acres near me wants near $3,500 to do it.

It should be $3-5 per acre over chemical cost for application. Your probably looking at $16-22 per acre.

Ikana, its not against the law to apply it without a license as long as you are doing it under the supervision of the person who buys the chemical. Surmount is a very good product that will knock out prickly pear as well as a lot of woody plants. It also requires a license and is expensive. Spraying prickly pear works a lot better spot spraying. The pads need to be sprayed on both sides for good results. Broadcast spraying will knock it back some but a lot of times doesn't knock it out completely. It dies a slow death so be very patient when looking for results. One good thing about spraying prickly pear, you can do it at any time. Its much easier to see in the winter time so that is when I would spray for it. Also not as many snakes.
You can do some major damage with a 25 gallon sprayer on a 4 wheeler with a 25' spray hose.

bird dog said:
Ikana, its not against the law to apply it without a license as long as you are doing it under the supervision of the person who buys the chemical. Surmount is a very good product that will knock out prickly pear as well as a lot of woody plants. It also requires a license and is expensive. Spraying prickly pear works a lot better spot spraying. The pads need to be sprayed on both sides for good results. Broadcast spraying will knock it back some but a lot of times doesn't knock it out completely. It dies a slow death so be very patient when looking for results. One good thing about spraying prickly pear, you can do it at any time. Its much easier to see in the winter time so that is when I would spray for it. Also not as many snakes.
You can do some major damage with a 25 gallon sprayer on a 4 wheeler with a 25' spray hose.

Do you know if that will also kill jumping cactus. I found a local feed store that will spray the grazon for only $200 more than what it will cost me to buy the stuff myself. Figure that's a no brainer going that way. Then I guess I'lla month or so and wait to see what that didn't knock out and spot spray the remaining mesquite and cactus.

On the jumping cactus, there doesn't seem to be a lot of testing on that one species but they "think" it will work.

This is what I read

Systemic herbicides penetrate the "skin" of the cactus pads or seep into the roots and poison the plant as they taint the circulatory system. The Texas Department of Natural Resources recommends herbicides containing picloram for waxy cacti such as prickly pear. The herbicide should also be effective on jumping cholla, though it may take years to completely kill the plant. Some systemic herbicides may be used as a soil drench to penetrate the root system more quickly.

I had a place that had a lot of cactus of different types but mostly prickly pear. I sprayed it three years in a row in the dead of winter. It was easy then to see the plant and what I had missed the year before. After the third year probably 90% of the cactus was dead or dying. A couple months after spraying, the plants that are effected will start changing color as they die. Its pretty obvious which one you have done and which ones you missed.

Surmount is my favorite (non-mequite) herbicide to spot spray with because of the variety of stuff I have to kill which is cactus, blackberry vines, cedar elm trees and green briar. I do the mesquite separately.

Latest posts