Dove Dog but definitely not a retriever

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Went dove hunting today and thought I'd take Eli with me and see what he thought about the sport. He loved it. He would intently watch the sky for birds and loved seeing them fall to the ground. He would charge out to the fallen and find them. Mouth them. Finish them off if need be but he refused to break union rules and do any retrieving.

Had a healer like that. I took him quail hunting when I was without a pointer. He'd help find a dead one in the grass once in a while. He must of been union as well, he never would bring them back or point.

Years ago I used to hunt doves with a muzzle loading shotgun. After I missed a number of them my springer would start retrieving the wads. If we were in one of those community shoots kind of deals where people are lined up and shooting the doves as they came in, she would haul butt out and retrieve every bird. Only problem was she would bring them back to me. Folks got irrate about it till I showed them the stack of birds that she had retrieved for the others. AFter that they kind of liked having her around so they wouldn't have to go clumping through the brush, weeds and cactus to pick them up themselves.

Jogeephus":240nghox said:
Went dove hunting today and thought I'd take Eli with me and see what he thought about the sport. He loved it. He would intently watch the sky for birds and loved seeing them fall to the ground. He would charge out to the fallen and find them. Mouth them. Finish them off if need be but he refused to break union rules and do any retrieving.

If he was here right now he would need a snorkel and lighting rod strapped to him.

skyhightree1":q95npa80 said:
Very nice how many cases of shells did it take to get that 1 :mrgreen:

Only a box. It was sitting on the telephone line. BTW - have you ever seen a transformer blow up? Pretty neat. Sortof like a meteor.

Jogeephus":znwxa99q said:
skyhightree1":znwxa99q said:

Only a box. It was sitting on the telephone line. BTW - have you ever seen a transformer blow up? Pretty neat. Sortof like a meteor.
That's why I like to go dove hunting at night...

Jogeephus":1vi1qjj4 said:
skyhightree1":1vi1qjj4 said:

:lol2:

Latest posts