Double Muscled

Help Support CattleToday:

Highgrit I don't think you are comparing apples with apples mate! Every country and continent has different markets and the animals and breed and feed are targeted at those markets. I would agree some countries have fallen behind with the tendernous and juiciness of their beef but you got to take a look at why that is.
For example- if you buy a steak in the supermarket here in Australia the chances are it is likely to be grass-fed/finished and often from a younger beast than what our North American audience would be used too. Now I have worked and lived in Canada and America and they all rave about how superior corn fed beef is over grass-fed. I might add this is true in their country as grass-fed is different there than here in our warmer climate.

Now the EU markets (we even sell into them) unlike our domestic beef they want them as big as they can get them and high yielding and traditionally that means they will be large frame continental that hasn't been bred with any emphasis on finishing as they want them as late maturing as possible. We may not agree that this is quality beef but this is their markets. I might add that European countries also eat horse meat.

Then we have many developing Asian countries that couldn't give too hoots about primals (due to lack of knowing) and buy our live Brahman cattle to be slaughtered one day and hung up on a hook outside the next. From a meat quality perspective this bucks the trend, but when you don't have refridgeration you have no choice.

I guess what i am getting at highgrit is we need all breeds as every region, every country and every beef producer has different markets and we need to select the appropriate breed and/or combination of breeds that best suit the target market.

Get off your high horse- what you do isn't the be all and end all!

European countries eat horse meat, but it's sold as beef. ;-D

I thinks it's really expensive to support continental breeds and those double muscled beasts. They are heavy cattle around here. 900- 1000kg+. Especially Simmentals. Their feeding requirements and over all doing-ability is poor. Also it's a fact that they are not ready for breeding under 2 years old. They need to grow one more year to be productive cows or feeding must be powerful.

For the costs, we have subsidy system. French get their cows 250€/year/cow feeding money from EU. Also growing crops gets lots of subsidies. If there wouldn't be this extra money, I think European cattle markets would be similar to the rest of the world. Smaller carcasses are more efficient to produce and big cows will eat their own profit.

Latest posts