FHR Double Evan 150

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefords.US":1k4kvvs0 said:
interesting find there, John!

Only shows an IBC of 16%. Thought it would have been more.

The ad calls him an historic Hereford bull. Do you remember him? It looks like ABS owned him, so I'd guess he was used pretty heavily.

alexfarms":2q8io0r7 said:
It looks like ABS owned him, so I'd guess he was used pretty heavily.
You'd be surprised how many bulls get bought by major studs that never get proven beyond a slight handful of progeny. As soon as they see a major flaw they get rid of them. It doesn't mean that the bull is junk, it just means that he's not what ABS wants to project as the ideal future sire of that breed.

cow pollinater":1cfdk4tg said:
alexfarms":1cfdk4tg said:
It looks like ABS owned him, so I'd guess he was used pretty heavily.
You'd be surprised how many bulls get bought by major studs that never get proven beyond a slight handful of progeny. As soon as they see a major flaw they get rid of them. It doesn't mean that the bull is junk, it just means that he's not what ABS wants to project as the ideal future sire of that breed.

Yes, we've all bought bulls that haven't panned out. I think George and I have been in that position. When you consider this is a bull that was born in 1971, is described in the ad as being of historic significance in the Hereford breed and ABS was promoting his semen I'd have to suspect that he wasn't a bust.

alexfarms":3lj5mrgb said:
Yes, we've all bought bulls that haven't panned out. I think George and I have been in that position. When you consider this is a bull that was born in 1971, is described in the ad as being of historic significance in the Hereford breed and ABS was promoting his semen I'd have to suspect that he wasn't a bust.
I clicked on the link, I didn't see that he had historic significance as it just says historic. That could mean a great one from the past or it could just mean old. :D I have some historic stuff tucked away in my tanks as well... If it was of significance as opposed to just historic I'd have already dumped into something somewhere along the line. :lol:

cow pollinater":2x4c0vo8 said:
alexfarms":2x4c0vo8 said:
I clicked on the link, I didn't see that he had historic significance as it just says historic. That could mean a great one from the past or it could just mean old. :D I have some historic stuff tucked away in my tanks as well... If it was of significance as opposed to just historic I'd have already dumped into something somewhere along the line. :lol:

Jabber, Jabber, Jabber...

https://www.google.com/search?site=&sou ... W8fRvLduT4

alexfarms":2s0y8868 said:
cow pollinater":2s0y8868 said:
alexfarms":2s0y8868 said:

Jabber, Jabber, Jabber...
Well if you're so sure he's a great one, why haven't you jumped on him yet? I'm pointing out some holes in your logic here that you might want to think about but if you want to be a jerk about it then good luck with your dam sure historic but maybe not historiclly relevant bull. :mrgreen:

cow pollinater":19iuy4wm said:
cow pollinater":19iuy4wm said:

Well if you're so sure he's a great one, why haven't you jumped on him yet? I'm pointing out some holes in your logic here that you might want to think about but if you want to be a jerk about it then good luck with your dam sure historic but maybe not historiclly relevant bull. :mrgreen:

Ok. Thanks for all your help. The auction hasn't started yet.

John, I don't remember the bull. But I was also pretty focused on one, and only one, particular bloodline of Herefords at that time.

I need to go back through my old Hereford Journals and see if I can come up with a picture.

Latest posts