Don't know if I got docked today or not

Help Support CattleToday:

WichitaLineMan

Reaction score
Sold some straight Hereford fall calving bull calves (avg age 9 months) at the sale today straight off the cow.

Average weight was 661 and they brought 1.09 for a payout of $720 each (before commission, yardage).

Calves at $720 makes the cow deal work pretty good. Especially since I didn't feed a bite of hay to the dams all last winter.

Like I said, don't know what blacks and chars brought. I dropped them off last night and was at work all day today.

Blk steers between 600 and 700 lbs brought 1.18 to 1.20 at Winters Livestock Auction in Dodge City today

3waycross":17yc6z2q said:
Blk steers between 600 and 700 lbs brought 1.18 to 1.20 at Winters Livestock Auction in Dodge City today
3waycross-

Hey, my friend, you did very well! I haven't seen the market since Superior last week, and they were not any higher than that. Good for you!

DOC HARRIS

I'm sure if you'd used an angus bull to sire the calves you would have done equally well or better, but the real question is could you have gotten by without any supplement using a different breed of cow?

IF you got docked it was more likely from their being bulls than not being black or white.

Idaman":p66bek7x said:
IF you got docked it was more likely from their being bulls than not being black or white.
thats true,,, but that will show up even more when the prices drop... right now all are pretty strong

Idaman":3ho1886m said:

Exactly, my thought. I am sure if I had steered them they would have brought 5/hundred more. I'd not be surprised if "equal" blacks brought 5 more as well, but all things considered, I was pleased.

I am getting out of the fall calving deal, the cows did breed back and will calve again in Sept and Oct. I will then sell the "culls" as pairs in January and the ones I want to add to my spring herd I will dead leg over to the spring herd (not expose them back to a bull).

If you are not making money in this market you really need to sharpen your pencil and see what the problem is.

Absolutely the most consistently profitable grazing yearlings business is to buy 550-650 bulls in singles or small lots, probably horned, but of any breed. Then clean them up with dehorning and castrating put them out on grass until they are over 900 then finish them out and sell them on the rail. That has worked every year that I know of.

Idaman":sdqhjsgh said:
Absolutely the most consistently profitable grazing yearlings business is to buy 550-650 bulls in singles or small lots, probably horned, but of any breed. Then clean them up with dehorning and castrating put them out on grass until they are over 900 then finish them out and sell them on the rail. That has worked every year that I know of.
Good morning. I thought of you fellows yesterday. I was doing some work near Brownwood and came home around
near Brady and Menard. I wanted you to know that most of what I saw from the road were Hereford. They looked good
with all the rain we have this year. I wish I had taken a few pictures. Peace.

Kingfisher":1q5vrde9 said:
Idaman":1q5vrde9 said:
Good morning. I thought of you fellows yesterday. I was doing some work near Brownwood and came home around
near Brady and Menard. I wanted you to know that most of what I saw from the road were Hereford. They looked good
with all the rain we have this year. I wish I had taken a few pictures. Peace.

As you probably know lots of our old herd bulls came from Carl Martin of Menard. Spent many a very enjoyable day there with him and his family. Beautiful country, especially down along those creeks.

Latest posts