Don't drive through Rush Springs, OK

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett":15kxocxz said:
2barmcattle":15kxocxz said:
mwj":15kxocxz said:
If you have had a ticket within the last year at the same spot, why didn't you slow down? You had my sympathy untill I read that and that you were 10 miles from home :shock: They(tickets) were all well within your control no matter how sneaky you think the cop was.

Do you know my wife??? That is exactly what she said.
I own and deserve all of the tickets. What great timing too.....Expired DL 2 wks ago?? I never look at it. Expired Ins Card?? YESTERDAY. Can't drive the truck?? Ticket for ins. card ONE DAY expired. No mercy!!
You learned a lesson about being responsible. YOU should have gotten your license renewed (Texas sends out notices about 2 months in advance of their expiration) YOU should have made sure you had an updated insurance card. (My insurance company sends them out about 45 days before they expire) And YOU know the area. (I know my area and you should know yours. Since I haven't received anything from the City of College Station, I guess I made it thru before that redlight camera caught me. :oops:) Taking care of business means you watch the small stuff too. If you watch the pennies, nickles and dimes, the dollars will take care of themselves. ;-) And life goes on.

Oklahoma stopped mailing drivers license renewal notices several years ago.

1982vett":uev5ax5d said:
2barmcattle":uev5ax5d said:
mwj":uev5ax5d said:
If you have had a ticket within the last year at the same spot, why didn't you slow down? You had my sympathy untill I read that and that you were 10 miles from home :shock: They(tickets) were all well within your control no matter how sneaky you think the cop was.

Do you know my wife??? That is exactly what she said.
I own and deserve all of the tickets. What great timing too.....Expired DL 2 wks ago?? I never look at it. Expired Ins Card?? YESTERDAY. Can't drive the truck?? Ticket for ins. card ONE DAY expired. No mercy!!
You learned a lesson about being responsible. YOU should have gotten your license renewed (Texas sends out notices about 2 months in advance of their expiration) YOU should have made sure you had an updated insurance card. (My insurance company sends them out about 45 days before they expire) And YOU know the area. (I know my area and you should know yours. Since I haven't received anything from the City of College Station, I guess I made it thru before that redlight camera caught me. :oops:) Taking care of business means you watch the small stuff too. If you watch the pennies, nickles and dimes, the dollars will take care of themselves. ;-) And life goes on.

I lived in Texas for 13 yrs. That is what's nice....they send out a reminder. Oklahoma doesn't send anything and.....you are right on the ins. card. A sad day though when you are ticketed for an ins. card being 1 day past exp. Would it not be obvious that I had ins. if the card expired yesterday? The DL..well :oops: :oops:

In Texas the insurance charge would be dropped when you show evidence to the judge that you had a policy in force the day you were ticketed. It is a pain to keep up with current proof twice a year on two vehicles. Pain to keep up with inspection stickers too.

1982vett":2bhkw0sm said:
In Texas the insurance charge would be dropped when you show evidence to the judge that you had a policy in force the day you were ticketed. It is a pain to keep up with current proof twice a year on two vehicles. Same with registration stickers.

does that mean you can get tags after you were ticketed as proof? assuming an office is open?

Nesikep":y3rdbqaw said:
1982vett":y3rdbqaw said:
In Texas the insurance charge would be dropped when you show evidence to the judge that you had a policy in force the day you were ticketed. It is a pain to keep up with current proof twice a year on two vehicles. Same with registration stickers.

does that mean you can get tags after you were ticketed as proof? assuming an office is open?

I found out that I can fax current proof of insurance and they will drop that one. I am sure I was not going the 66 he ticketed me for but it would be a loosing battle to attempt to proove that. The DL that was expired for a whole 13 days.....well shame on me I guess. Maybe that is why Ok. quit sending reminders out..so they could pocket more citation cash. Rush Springs Ok. makes a bunch of money at this trickery. It's all about GREED. They have had other dishonesty problems at their city in the past.

Nesikep":3a48peu6 said:
1982vett":3a48peu6 said:

:oops:I said registration but should have said inspection. Sorry. Don't know but I doubt they would excuse the registration/tags even if you could prove you bought them but had not installed them.

Had a run in with a local cop last yr here where we live
the main hyway you take off at stoplight and it is 45mph go about 1/2 and it goes to 55 then 1 1/2 it goes back to 45 the cop was sitting in the church parking lot where it is 55 and he clocked the wife going 53 stops her and tells her she is speeding she tells him she isn't and gets out and takes pics , on the ticket it states where he was sitting and her pics show the 45 mph sign about 200yds in front of her

She goes to court and they throw it out he stops her 6 times in 3 weeks after this for no reason he finally wrote her a ticket the last time because he said her taillights were to dirty and they didn't show bright enough she gets out and takes pics again and they throw it out again

She files a harassment suit against the officer and the PD we went to court and they asked us if we would drop charges if they suspended the officer with pay for 2 weeks we said NO

they got court postponed,a week later they fired the officer and called and asked if we would drop the charges wife agreed I heard they got several other complaints about him doing the same thing to others

we didn't want the guy fired just wanted him to quit harrassing her everytime she went thru town he was just young and cocky

Angus Cowman":1q8mavlz said:
Had a run in with a local cop last yr here where we live
the main hyway you take off at stoplight and it is 45mph go about 1/2 and it goes to 55 then 1 1/2 it goes back to 45 the cop was sitting in the church parking lot where it is 55 and he clocked the wife going 53 stops her and tells her she is speeding she tells him she isn't and gets out and takes pics , on the ticket it states where he was sitting and her pics show the 45 mph sign about 200yds in front of her

She goes to court and they throw it out he stops her 6 times in 3 weeks after this for no reason he finally wrote her a ticket the last time because he said her taillights were to dirty and they didn't show bright enough she gets out and takes pics again and they throw it out again

She files a harassment suit against the officer and the PD we went to court and they asked us if we would drop charges if they suspended the officer with pay for 2 weeks we said NO

they got court postponed,a week later they fired the officer and called and asked if we would drop the charges wife agreed I heard they got several other complaints about him doing the same thing to others

we didn't want the guy fired just wanted him to quit harrassing her everytime she went thru town he was just young and cocky
Good for you and your wife. That guy was way out of line.
I took offense at the way a state trooper acted a few years ago. I wrote a letter to internal affairs about the matter. After that I never saw him around any more. Don't know if my letter had anything to do with it or not.

Every little town along State Hyway 22 between Hillsboro and Corsicana does the same thing, with the exception of Brandom. Mertens, Blooming Grove, Frost, Berry, all of them have rapidly declining speed limits going into town. And in Frost, you can't even tell where the town begins unless you are through there frequently. I just know to slow down. Same way in Keene. You have to know what's ahead and KNOW that you will get stopped if you speed.

I believe the term for these situations is "revenue enhancement". :roll:

This is not a problem in just your area. As has been said, lots of towns use this to make up for budget shortfalls. The largest town in our area is very aggressive with traffic. They write tickets, and they write a bunch of them. Many dollars are collected every month by these fine law enforcement officers.

The other thing about aggressive enforcement that most don't understand? This gives law enforcement a legal way to check your name against the database. In our area, about 50% of traffic stops result in arrests for outstanding warrants. Law enforcement does not go after people when warrants have been issued. They operate under the assumption that "we'll get them soon in a traffic stop". And... it works.

These guys also write citations to pedestrians and bicycle riders. No one gets any slack. Walking down the street instead of using the sidewalk (very popular with drug dealers and prostitutes) and riding a bike without an operating headlight at night (very popular with drug dealers) gets you the blue light special.

It's not all about the money, however money is a large part of it.

You know what you're dealing with in that town, so deal with it. No point getting upset or ranting about it when you should have expected it and dealt with it in advance. Modify your behavior and you won't have the problem in that town anymore.

They get me for seat belt violations again and again. Not much else.

I wish a cop would set up a speed trap right where the county road crosses through me. It would be huge revenue. They could let everyone off who are only going 20 mph over and it would be fine with me.

2barmcattle":2mm244h5 said:
We were pulled over at the famous "speed trap" at Rush Springs for "speeding". This "speed trap" is a very unethical way of creating income by the town of Rush Springs. The speed limit goes from 65 to 55 to 45 in less than 1/4 mile so by the time you try to slow down from 65 you are already in the 45. Anyway, after handing the officer my DL and insurance, he came back and asked if I knew my DL had expired 2 weeks ago. I said no (my fault)and, he told me that I was not allowed to drive my pickup and I had to call someone to come and get me. Even after I told him I was less than 10 miles from home, he made me call my wife to come and get me. While waiting for my wife, he came back to the truck and said he had THREE citations for me......

In Texas, on I-59, is a town called Kendleton. They had a speed trap going for years. Tiny town but yet had 3 judges! As the story goes, a certain portion of each collected traffic fine is supposed to go to the state. Someone did a little snooping and found out that Kendleton was not making it's proportional state payments and was in deep arrears. The state shut them down and confiscated most of their patrol cars!!! Paybacks ARE he!!. Maybe Rush Springs needs to be checked out?

You know what you're dealing with in that town, so deal with it. No point getting upset or ranting about it when you should have expected it and dealt with it in advance. Modify your behavior and you won't have the problem in that town anymore.

I do agree...........and it is hard setting back and watching them unethically collect money from travelers by making rediculous speed limit changes in a very short distance that have nothing to do with public safety and then camping out there. I suppose I know what to expect when I go through there again. And.........well said grannysoo. :tiphat:

2barmcattle":3sk9sw3n said:

I do agree...........and it is hard setting back and watching them unethically collect money from travelers by making rediculous speed limit changes in a very short distance that have nothing to do with public safety and then camping out there. I suppose I know what to expect when I go through there again. And.........well said grannysoo. :tiphat:
Check the laws of your state I know on certain roads in Mo they have to post a "speed zone ahead " sign so many feet before the limit changes

Angus Cowman":395yezik said:
Check the laws of your state I know on certain roads in Mo they have to post a "speed zone ahead " sign so many feet before the limit changes

You may find this to be true, and there may be other options as well.

In Georgia, cities and counties must post a sign that radar is being used. If the sign is not posted at the county line or city limit, then the radar citation is invalid.

Also, counties and cities can not stop you for less than 10 mph over the speed limit. (This was made into law to prevent speed traps) The state patrol however, can pull you over for any amount.

Ryder":3e70kh8g said:
I have not had a bird dog (aka radar detector) in a long time and am looking for a new one. I figure better safe than sorry. I do not drive reckless, but sometime just a little fast.
I have no knowlede of all these different bands they talk about, K this, K that , etc. I don't want to spend a fortune on a lot of needless bells and whistles, but will spend what I need to for a good one.
Information and suggestions appreciated.

Ryder,

In our state, the troopers all use K and Ka band. When I commuted on I-10 to New Orleans, I would literally know they were there a couple miles before I saw them. You don't have to get an expensive one either. I've always found Cobra to be the best brand - and I drive some of the same roads as you, so you should have no problem.

1982vett":2sbxytx6 said:
Nesikep":2sbxytx6 said:
1982vett":2sbxytx6 said:

:oops:I said registration but should have said inspection. Sorry. Don't know but I doubt they would excuse the registration/tags even if you could prove you bought them but had not installed them.

Yes you can get the ticket for registration dropped. Cost 10 bucks to drop with proof of purchase. Ask me how I know.

July 5th. Driving my dad's pickup one day. Didn't realize the inspection and tags were out. State trooper stopped me. Gave me a warning for the inspection, and a ticket for the tags. Got home and told Dad that I got a ticket. He said oh, I bought the new tags in MAY... SO, I go to the judge and show him my tags, and he said ok, I'll drop it but it cost 10 dollars. I'm not sure what the 10 dollars were for, but I'd rather pay that than a full ticket price.

Latest posts