Don't dismiss those Pour On Parasiticides

Help Support CattleToday:

Putangitangi":17gnbpl4 said:
Do any of you ever do post-drench FECs? We do that from time to time to check how resistant our worm populations may have become to the drench we're using. Do a FEC, drench, then pick up dung samples ten days after drenching; if there are eggs there, your drench didn't work. Culture the eggs found to identify the species, if required.

Our Ag organisations have done a lot of work on educating farmers that the majority of the worm problem is on the pasture and you'll never eliminate them by treating the cattle. You just manage the production losses/health effects by how well you manage the animals, the pasture, how much you can feed them, etc. There are probably places where it gets cold enough to wipe them out there, not so many here and certainly never where I farm.

That is well said. I have only recently started to give my calves a strategic worming at 2-3 mths of age with Cydectin injectible to utilise the duration of the product to make sure that this group continues to go forward. My cows never get wormed, my pastures are well spelled. I just use product to make sure the group that is most vulnerable to parasites are not held back. I have done faecal egg counts and I know that this group of animals can carry a small burden of parasites. It is impossible to worm your herd to a worm free status and is not necessary. LuckyP has said on here many times previously that they don't see worm problems on autopsy other than the very young.

Ken

Caustic Burno":1nnir97f said:
kenny thomas":1nnir97f said:
So out of 11 pages have we proved the efficiency between pour on and injectable or if one brand is safer on dung than another? I'm not sure I'm convinced.

No but a lot of cows have been wormed we think.
I've been entertained, I think .

wbvs58":1i6oo0cw said:
I have only recently started to give my calves a strategic worming at 2-3 mths of age with Cydectin injectible to utilise the duration of the product to make sure that this group continues to go forward. My cows never get wormed, my pastures are well spelled. I just use product to make sure the group that is most vulnerable to parasites are not held back. I have done faecal egg counts and I know that this group of animals can carry a small burden of parasites. It is impossible to worm your herd to a worm free status and is not necessary. LuckyP has said on here many times previously that they don't see worm problems on autopsy other than the very young.

Ken

Ken.

The benefits of worming is a good discussion. Lucky_P has openly stated that having seen my cows and pasture, that I do not need to worm my adult cows.

I do but I suspect they would do well without it.

However, I think worming my calves keeps them coming along. I start worming them at about 6 weeks old. It is very simple since they are all halter broke. I use an oral drench (albendazole).

There are other factors.

First, to sell bred heifers and bulls here under the CAIP program, they have to be certified as wormed. Also, even without that requirement, it becomes a selling point to tell buyers that your bulls and heifers are wormed.

Lastly, I suspect commercial operators get a little more gain in their feeder calves if they are wormed. Whether it pays for itself, I don't know.

I will continue to worm my entire herd. Right now I have a total head count of 35. It only costs me about $150 a year to worm and treat for parasites. Fly control is more expensive. I use UltraBoss and it runs me about $275 a year to keep them treated for flys.

Yes Ron, that is what I keep the Dectomax pouron for, anything that leaves the place to go to another herd I worm as the question is invariably asked when was she wormed last and when you can give the recent date it gives them confidence that things are well managed, along with vaccinations that are relevant to your area. So in essence I worm for "window dressing".

Ken

Bright Raven":28vlh4mw said:
kenny thomas":28vlh4mw said:
Ok, now compare the good stuff, Cydectin

Cydectin Pour On is $304.99 for 5000 mL. It treats at the rate of 1 mL per 22 lbs.

That is 110,000 lbs of live weight treated for $304.99.

Not much difference but the most expensive.

There is no difference between cost whether you pour or inject.
Bought a 5 liter jug of Cydectin today for $285.00. After all this discussion I guess I will try it again.

kenny thomas":17flcm8d said:
Bright Raven":17flcm8d said:
kenny thomas":17flcm8d said:

Cydectin Pour On is $304.99 for 5000 mL. It treats at the rate of 1 mL per 22 lbs.

Bought a 5 liter jug of Cydectin today for $285.00. After all this discussion I guess I will try it again.

Kenny.

That is a great price.

Bright Raven":10wuken4 said:
kenny thomas":10wuken4 said:
Bright Raven":10wuken4 said:

Kenny.

That is a great price.

You never heard of a jewish moonshiner. :lol:

jehosofat":28rv3kmi said:
Bright Raven":28rv3kmi said:
kenny thomas":28rv3kmi said:

Kenny.

That is a great price.

You never heard of a jewish moonshiner. :lol:

He sure ain't Jewish but those Appalachian hillbillies can be tight as a banjo string!!!

Caustic Bruno....you are correct. I have worked in a generic manufacturing facility in my past life. Let me assure you if the label says the product contains x% of an active ingredient, it does. Quality control is NOT different! The FDA is as stringent on the generic manufacturers as the branded manufacturers. GMP's (good manufacturing practices) are the same for all making the product, regardless of the brand name. QC and QA have to pass the FDA inspectors using the aformentioned GMP's, and once that practice is adopted, it has to be maintained or the products will be recalled. Now, the active carriers can be different, oils vs alcohol, and/or the inactive ingredients can be different, hence the price point difference, but the active ingredient HAS TO BE THE SAME as the branded manufacturer or it is called an ADULTERATED PRODUCT and will be recalled for public safety. In fact, if there is a misspelled word on the label, the FDA will require that the product be recalled due to it becoming an ADULTERATED product. Like I said, the carriers or bonding agents may or can be different, but the ACTIVE ingredient must the same as the branded product or it by its very nature becomes a new drug and it cannot be sold as a generic of X.

kenny thomas":2klkks7l said:
Bright Raven":2klkks7l said:
kenny thomas":2klkks7l said:

Kenny I use it as well and can see good results. I know some totally reject pour-on's but I have no complaints over the years.

I personally will continue to follow the advice of my 3 vets. They all agree pour on once and inject once per year.

Cydectin claim to fame when it first came out, was that it was the ONLY de-wormer that did not kill dung beetles. After several years of heavy advertising, they had to STOP saying it because it was NOT true.
This year, I decided to NOT deworm my cows over 3 yrs of age this summer. Timing is everything. I pour-on deworm with generic Ivomec. I deworm the cows in July. They have been grazing since 1st of May (roughly), so 60 days later, they are ready to start shedding eggs. I pour-on again in October (for worming and for lice & grubs).
Calves get Valbazen and Pour On at 3 months of age and again at weaning time. I rotational graze. Never on same ground for more than 5 days.
Here's a good report:
http://grazingguide.net/research/nepc20 ... etles.html

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2x5w4vje said:
Cydectin claim to fame when it first came out, was that it was the ONLY de-wormer that did not kill dung beetles. After several years of heavy advertising, they had to STOP saying it because it was NOT true.
This year, I decided to NOT deworm my cows over 3 yrs of age this summer. Timing is everything. I pour-on deworm with generic Ivomec. I deworm the cows in July. They have been grazing since 1st of May (roughly), so 60 days later, they are ready to start shedding eggs. I pour-on again in October (for worming and for lice & grubs).
Calves get Valbazen and Pour On at 3 months of age and again at weaning time. I rotational graze. Never on same ground for more than 5 days.
Here's a good report:
http://grazingguide.net/research/nepc20 ... etles.html
Timing is everything Thank you. :tiphat:

Latest posts